Sign in to follow this  
jasono

Am i made or am i doing texturing wrong?

Hey guys

I had a snoop about and search and couldn't see anything related to this so here it goes..

In Oxygen, to place a texture I thought you did this.

1) Highlight + select faces you want to texture

2) Press A

3) Load Texture

4) Press B

5) Texture applied?

That's how I thought I used to do it. Now I have oxygen 2, I get stuck after doing step 3. I click Load Texture and select the paa and nothing happens. Texture remains null and I don't see it? The texture is a BIS one so no idea why it isn't working.

Maybe i'm just doing it wrong to begin with.. tounge2.gif

Thanks for your help.

This way it should work

1) Press A

2) Load Texture

3) Highlight + select faces you want to texture

4) Press B

5) Texture applied?

I dont know if o2 shows *paa`s, but *tga`s are working

I have yet to get .paa's to load direct into O2, dispite all the tips and suggestions in these forums .....

Suggest you use TGA textures and O2/Buldozer will convert them for you on the run.

Hmm OK. I tried TGA and it said converting or something. But it keeps saying that. I've left it for 1 minute and it's not changed. Is it normal to take so long?

I will try the other suggestion now.

Edit : Nope, same problem "No Texture loaded" or TGA fails to load bulldozer

Edit 2 : Eventually loaded but model remains white. I've highlighted the faces, pressed b in texture mode and theres a box over it in the colour I want it to be.

check if you have hide textures hooked in the preview button menu (button where you start bulldozer)

Nope its unticked. Nothing is ticked in that list apart from Center to Pin.

In File->Options, last option;

>Autoconvert GIF and TGA textures .....

Play with that I remember reading somewhere.

..... maybe

autoconvert gif and tga textures most be uncheck in options

still load only .tga files so far i know

press A

load .tga texture

press B

to applied

O2 go automate make a .paa file from you .tga file , but you most rename first

Go tools in O2,you see (Mass texture & material renaming) hit it

go be look like this : your_foldername\data\texture.tga

your_foldername\data\texture.paa

click on the texture.tga

you see under Name to rename( can be mask):

your_foldername\data\texture.tga

type in

new name:

your_foldername\data\texture.paa

click ok

and save the p3d

so long you applieding .tga file , keep the tga file in your data folder and allways renaming the tga to paa file every time you use it

Alternatively, just download and install the old O2 (or at least take the DLLs from it, and put them in your new O2's folder). That should enable you to load .PAAs successfully. Also, make sure you've setup O2 to work correctly (the P: drive etc), and make sure your options are setup accordingly, so that O2 can find your textures.

Unwraping in o2 is a big pain with the results too far from perfect wink_o.gif Better use some 3rd party tools like Unwrap 3D, Milkshape, 3ds max. there're free or troal ones - so don't say it's to expensive wink_o.gif

Also, if you can do some rudimentary manipulation of the uv space, try a program called roadkill. That is hands down the best uv unwrapper I have ever seen. I still tweak the map in maya, but the maps generated by roadkill are as far from no stretching as is possible based on where you make your cuts. It's simple and unwraps on the fly. Roadkill uses obj format. It's only flaw is that it doesn't layout the uvs very efficiently, and there are occasions where you may wish to enduce some stretching in order to keep the maps easy to paint.

Question on the texture loading.

Where does my trexture file need to be located prior to going through the loading steps?

I have a texture folder in my Models folder, but the Texture panel is only showing the Bis example textures huh.gif

Few possibilities why its appearing blank instead of wanted picture.

Size is incorrect, bitmap is 24 instead of 32 (or even more way off), Alpha channel incorrect (only transparent or semi-transparent textures) or something went wrong on saving.

Or DLLs are missing, like Jackal said.

Quote[/b] ]I have a texture folder in my Models folder, but the Texture panel is only showing the Bis example textures

Now if I understood you correctly you mean texture library in O2 and you're using some MLOD release of BIS, right?

If so, it will only show you those textures that are applied to model, so if you bring new texture in, you wont be seeing it anywhere before you map it on model. How thats done was discussed earlier on this topic, I believe. If you're not sure what I just said or meant here you can PM me wink_o.gif

@Von Rundstedt... there are no missing dll's with O2PE... it is what it is...

@Rambo-16AAB... from the way you phrased your question i'd say you have yet to map 'faces' in your O2PE mlod model to your 'new' textures... they can reside anywhere on your 'virtual P:\ drive'. Most commonly addon makers place them in a subfolder of the folder the model is sitting in.

@Von Rundstedt... there are no missing dll's with O2PE... it is what it is...

That would certainly be contradicted by the huge number of users, including myself, who had to copy over DLL files from the OFP version of O2 into the ArmA O2 directory in order to be able to load textures to apply them to faces. Though this is a much lamented subject that has been covered in numerous threads, so I wont detract from this topic further.

Hello,

I had made some addons for OFP some years ago, and now I want to try modelling for ARMA. I donwloaded the tools, and installed they in the default directories. I don't have problems with Buldozer, and i can apply .tga textures in the models, but i can't do the same with the .paa ones. I have downloaded the .dlls from the old O2, but i continue getting the "null" error when applying .paa textures. I can apply them by pressing E, and typing the directory of the .paa texture there, but this doesn't offers much control of how to apply the texture. I have tryied to apply the .paa archive that have converted buldozer from the .tga, but i get the "null" error too.

You have some ideas of how to solve this?

If I use .tga textures in my models, i must leave the .tga files in the .pbos, or I can delete they?

Thanks in advance.

Pretext: my knowledge is very limited here.

As far as I know o2 converts tga to paa automatically at some point. Or was it binarize?

well the "old dll's" thing didn't work for me,but the way i get over this small inconvenience is to have a .tga version of the .paa file ready in the folder,then rename the texture i wish to use utilizing the mass texture renamer,and it's business as usual for the old method.

just remember to rename it back when youre done

Thanks for reply.

Q, when i apply a .tga texture, buldozer convert it to .paa, but the name of the texture is still .tga. Perhaps when binarizing the .pbo, the .tgas are deleted?

jojimbo, my english is not very good, so i don't understand totally what you mean. You mean i must apply the .tga version, and then when buldozer converts it to .paa (or your own .paa version), change the name of the texture to .paa in the texture renamer in O2? Then it will use the .paa texture instead the .tga, but applyed in the same way I applyed the .tga before (direction, size...)?

Thanks for reply.

Q, when i apply a .tga texture, buldozer convert it to .paa, but the name of the texture is still .tga. Perhaps when binarizing the .pbo, the .tgas are deleted?

jojimbo, my english is not very good, so i don't understand totally what you mean. You mean i must apply the .tga version, and then when buldozer converts it to .paa (or your own .paa version), change the name of the texture to .paa in the texture renamer in O2? Then it will use the .paa texture instead the .tga, but applyed in the same way I applyed the .tga before (direction, size...)?

yes thats what i mean samu.

o2 will convert to .paa,and binarize will remove the .tga

but sometimes there will still be a .tga reference in the model which needs renaming or ArmA game will try to load a .tga when starting and you will get an error message.

best check to make sure,

also when using uvedit you will need to load the .tga again.

o2 might not convert again,but you must check name is .paa again.

best always check in model.p3d no .tga

Hello,

I had made some addons for OFP some years ago, and now I want to try modelling for ARMA....

OMG !! biggrin_o.gif Samu is back biggrin_o.gif !! buddy, how going w ur La5 ?!! smile_o.gif

Hi mate. I deleted all the models i has did. I only have the La5 version that was released in the old web.

Now I'm trying to learn how to make addons in ARMA. WW2 addons of course smile_o.gif .

Hi Guys, there is nothing wrong with Oxygen 2 PE, the trick lies in learning how to apply the textures using the UVset. Its quite easy once you get the hang of it and you can map your complete models just using the UVset function its just a bit more labour intensive but the results are excellent. In this way you can edit the textures and view them in Buldozer on the fly. O2 does convert your .tga files to .paa automatically, once you are satisfied with your UV layout then you can use the Mass texture & materilal renaming tool to convert the .tga texture path to the .paa texture path

PS. I am busy with a UVset tutorial and will post it next week

PS. I am busy with a UVset tutorial and will post it next week

Great news. I've had limited success experimenting with its use, and a tutorial would help me a great deal, especially with correctly mapping cylinders which are the bane of my life at present.

Obmar: problem is I need UV mapped model in 3ds or other "primary" format in order to render occlusion and normal maps.

Importing the model into O2, mapping and then what? Exporting it back with broken hardness using the older O2 exe?

crazy_o.gif Then fix it manually... ?

So I still think unwrapping outside of O2 is more convinient because you've got a UV mapped model in 3ds to render from.