Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.09

Well I know everyone had a really great time with the disappointing/awesome threads, got to have some fun, make new friends, learn to enjoy new things, so here following the release of 1.09 is the all new Positive/Negative thread, enjoy it!

And remember folks, let's stay safe out there (and no flaming either)!

For the ocularly impaired here again is the link to 1.09

I'm really happy with how 1.09 turned out. The number of fixes, tweaks, and features added to it were beyond what I had been expecting. Overall, the game plays much more smoothly, we now have VOIP that is much closer to working perfectly (though it still needs more debugging), lots of gameplay aspects have been tweaked (AI, recoil, damage resilience for vehicles, etc)... overall, I can't help but give this patch an A+. It is clear from the change log that BIS has been listening to the community and has been implementing what is feasible to do in a patch.

And remember - it's not even the final patch. wink_o.gif

Hmm, can you name the AI changes that are there, I've only now tested the patch for a short while and haven't noticed much, but it's probably there. I'll most likely encounter it after some more, less brief testing.

But all in all, I like the new grass, much better in terms of vision and in preformance. Big plus. The new recoils are great too.

Yet there's still the bug with the bouncing Styker MK19 and hummer and any vehicle that has a grenade launcher attached. I thought the weapon recoil revamp also encompassed this?

I'll be back with more praise and whining later.

I haven't had enough time to test all the features and improvements this patch brings about, but I did check out the weapons/recoils. While they (recoils) are a definite improvement over what was before, they feel a bit too fast (as if I accidentally pressed "+" in singleplayer). I think they need more "relaxation" time. Also medium machineguns are too easily controllable now in standing position. They could be pretty stable, but not if fired from shoulder, that's for sure. Maybe it would make sense to disable ironsights when in crouch/standing position to not make them "uber-weapons". Same goes for .50 cal sniper rifles.

Overall I like the direction BI team is going, and appreciate the response to community ideas. Keep up the good work (that is, after the Christmas break xmas_o.gif )

nice patch, my frame rate is up. But annoyingly my FPS can still drop from 35 to 11 just by "scoping" some grass patches and some trees.

Hello there,

This is a great patch. I want to thank you for the pV thing and the string functions.

Quick feedback I can give is that all the bugs I reported on the bugtracker are still existent, but with that being down and them not being fixed until now I guess I will have to live with that confused_o.gif.

Only 2 things that I can't live with:

1. "Locality"-Bug : If you have your squad of AI in a vehicle driven by a remote player(or any other situation where it isn't local to you) you can't disembark the AI.

2. SelectPlayer does not work on remote AI(If the unit is playable or not does not matter). I think that is fixable. You can JIP into any AI(if playable) and if you disconnect,your character gets taken over by the AI. So SelectPlayer on remote AI could work by the same general mechanism no? . If it worked it would allow for the mission maker to offer access to any unit on the map if he wants too , making full use of JIP and giving a mission maker advanced respawn functionalities too.

One question I would have if there is a setting to make dead person able to talk with the other ones again if one wanted to

Nice holidays smile_o.gif

Edit: One quick thing to fix in your UI.pbo

-Warning: no idc entry inside class RscDisplayMultiplayerSetup/controls/B_Side

Very well done to BIS for making these very important changes, however, there are still a few things that could be tweaked.

The GAU 8 has a very dodgey repeating sound when continuously fired.

And a "more precise javelin" is mentioned, however, it still has unrealistic engagement ranges as a target cannot be engaged at under 200m, wheras IRL its minimum engagement range is 75m. I can engage enemy vehicles at over 4000m with it aswell, wheras again, IRL its max is about 2500m.

However, i realise that this probably wasnt the intention of this fix, so no worries.

But, there is a little problem with the optical sight for the javelin, the second u fire, it disappears.

Anywho, other wise, very good patch.

Winters

Well this is what the Community had needed first bevore getting all thouse extra content Patch AddOn stuff. ( Tweaks and Improvements of ArmA )

Thats much more worth then something else.

So far i'm very happy with this patch smile_o.gif

EDIT: The bridge Bug still seems to be there... but ok you have had worked on some other fixes

Good work BIS thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]

But, there is a little problem with the optical sight for the javelin, the second u fire, it disappears.

A quick read of the accompanying readme and changelog would have shown you that this is not a problem and was by deliberate.

* FIX (WEAPONS): Unloaded Javelin will not show optics attachment to avoid view blocking in most of the moves.

Planck

I notice the M2 machine guns still do not reload past the magazine they are currently on ie. if you have 3 magazines left it will only reload that mag and not replace the 2 mags you already fired

The general feeling of all fireweapons is better now with the reworked recoil. AT Weapons seem to be bit weaker now which is also better. AI does not alway hit with AT weapons now.

The best feature so far is the reduced secondary explosion of vehicles...no more devastating chain effects on parked ammo trucks that flatten a whole town...and a real chance to escape from a damaged MBT or APC.

I'm not much into small details, but overall the AI seems more energetic in battle. Good thing in general, bad thing for co-op players used to flegmatic and pacifist enemies. biggrin_o.gif

I can no longer hear my breathing when sprinting, using the first-person camera. I still hear my men breathing, and I can hear myself if I use an external camera.

I observed a BMP sitting stationary with its treads both moving in the same direction, as if it were travelling forward at high speed. The engine was at idle. Also, after shooting out a BDRM's tire, the vehicle began to slowly spin in place. The crew had left the vehicle, and the vehicle shouldn't be capable of spinning place regardless. I've never observed either phenomenon before.

Movement halting, as described in the thread linked below, is still present.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=70526

partially copied from release thread  icon_rolleyes.gif

Quick bug report.

FFAR firing sound disappeared, as a result of  making modes[]={}.

Look at ZGB_FFAR addon please, it contains some... oooops it contained something, but does not contain anything interesting in v2.0.  crazy_o.gif

You just have to copy sound for each mode, and maybe use soundBurst boolean. (shouldn't soundBurst play each sound in it's full length, not end up with every next shot? and maybe G36, AZP-85 & 2A42 guns could have this solution implemented too...)

BTW - why M134 can have 2 modes with different reloadTimes working while 2A42 can't? It could have realistic fast mode instead of "ammo counter wasting" long burst mode.

Think about unifying Sahrani nation by making KKAS using SLA faces (this is truly ethnical comedy), and maybe increase SVD reload speed.

I agree that new recoils have too short "relaxation" time.

OT: OMG I'm gonna buy next gen GeForce for graphics like that  biggrin_o.gif

I like new grass on north Sahrani! It's more realistic now. smile_o.gif

038670784402.jpg 7ca2599f5f56.jpg

- Ka-50 and Su34 armor is too weak. Kamov's rotor can't be damaged so easily.

- SVD reload time is too long (in 1.08 was OK).

I dont have time to test it properly now, but i just had to give it a quick try wink_o.gif .

Performance improvement is huge, with a noticeable visual quality loss, the tree lod switching is much more noticeable when zooming in and out and the trees look less detailed over distance, but playable is more important than pretty and North Sahrani is alot more playable now.

Mouse control and aiming is more fluid and less.. floaty and weapon handling is easier but more balanced considering what the a.i. can do.

So far so good, looking forward to give it a more intensive test run but so far im well impressed.

Patch 1.09 is Nucking Futs! The improvements in 1.09 are fantastic. I can't believe what I'm about to say but.... This feels like a totally different game, so far of course. Hopefully when the initial excitement wears away, my first impression is accurate.

So far so good BIS. Much appreciated folks! xmas_o.gif

I'm really liking this change in particular :

Quote[/b] ]5207 - Improved: Fast aiming with mouse, problem was with mouse movement adaptive filtering, which handled badly the transition from fast to slow motion.

It really helped to get rid of that sluggish feeling the mouse had previously. And, as mentioned, the rest of it 1.09 is great. I'm looking forward to seeing what all is tweaked and change between now and the final "1.09" patch.

In a valiant attempt to hinder cheats, BIS also managed to implement one.

DOH.jpg

I can honestly say I've never seen the Kamov fire like this crazy_o.gif

But then again I don't play so much, so I'm not sure if this happened prior to 1.09, can anyone verify that this is new or not?

I was hoping this would be fixed. At the time when the bugtracker went down the status was "open".

aim_anim.gif

With horizontal movement the point of aim jumps a few pixels, as if on a grid. (Although in a smoother motion than in the above animation) This makes long distance aiming with ironsights very frustrating and has cost me my life many times :[

Basically I have to rely on luck that the "gridline" will land on my target.

I made a little video to demonstrate: click

Watch as the point of aim jumps back and forth across the target. It's not possible to place the ironsights directly on the target because the horizontal increment does not happen to coincide with the target. Curiously, when moving the point of aim vertically it moves smoothly.

I have both x and y mouse sensitivity at exactly half. If sensitivity is set at the lowest movement is perfectly smooth, but not practical for playing. At maximum sensitivity the exaggerated effect can be observed.

I remember in the bugtracker, using a "hardware cursor" was mentioned as a possible solution...

BIS please fix this bug, it's pretty much the last thing that keeps me from enjoying Arma as much as I enjoyed OFP.

First, this patch is amazing! (see Pro's)

---

Con's:

- slower lod loading

- slower texture loading

- sometimes "flickering" textures esp. road and runway

- sometimes the game freeze for ~1 second (only MP)

- thrust on aircrafts not fixed (still -1 / 0 / +1 )

- Is the compass supposed to be that size(close to the eye)?

AA_V109_B001.jpg

- I have to hover the mouse there(red arrow) to click the "Spielbar".

AA_V109_B002.jpg

-----

Pro's:

- NO DAMNED GF8800 FOG ANYMORE! \o/

- ArmA now look's extremly good (colours)

- very fluid gameplay

- speed of the M136 rocket

- recoil and rate of fire

- ai behavior (less agressiv but more accurate)

- emergency-landings with helicopters are now perfect(survive)

- steering of cars is much better

-----

Between pro and con:

- turn with M136 shouldered is much better, but a bit fast

- the muffled sound when inside cars is nice, but a bit too quiet now

-----

Overall, ArmA is now as it SHOULD BE. The faster gameplay and better AI behavior brings a lot of fun.

It's more like the faster(better) OFP gameplay we all loved for the last 6 years.

Very Good Job BIS! It was a long time waiting for the fogbug getting fixed and I was very angry about that, because you can do better/faster.

I hope to see support like this in the future, only a bit faster.  wink_o.gif

---

Now I wish you the BIS team(and their families) a happy christmas and new year!

MfG Lee xmas_o.gif

well first things i have notices:

1. the recoils is better but not quite....something is missing there (maybe coz i first tried the xam 1.4 and the recoils where as they have 2 be)...this is a little spasmodic. crazy_o.gif and can hardly be called recoil. there can be one - so that you see the gun actually moving in your hand without having the reticle bouncing all over the screen.

2. wtf is with the freaking AT launcher recoils...i have a higher recoil if i fire rocks from my sling...

3. the AT/RPG power has been reduced a bit (the bmp is not gonna blow from one round now...), making armor a little more important

4. u can turn the dc3 on the runway now, taxing it. BUT while the left-right axis are ok, the up-down (nose up/down) are way way to sensitive. iy flys better in terms of maneuverability than jets. do smth about this plz

5. confirmed: the 4x4 landrover open has some texture missing behind the front seats.

6. flickering textures especially roads and buildings.

i'll add some more after i have tested it some more on some servers or so

better overall performace tho (running on a X1950 XTX)

Just noticed this. Probably connected with the patch... loading cutscene with KKAS forces in southern Sahrani. M113's, littlebirds and soldiers.

sthgl8.th.jpg

the bug disappeared (?) it probably happened because of using my FFAR addon

found that in cfgWeapons\FFARLauncher\burst - soundContinuous = 1;

crazy_o.gif  what's the reason? weird...

edit: also sound levels when inside should be reworked for each vehicle, as some seem not to be modelled correctly (f.e. opened cars, following Schaffer).

Mi-17 with 6 x UB-32 should have 6 x 32 = 192 S-5 FFARs in default loadout. Stick to realism here, or cut two UB-32's out from the model & leave it with 128Rnd_57mm in cfgMagazines xD

beta patch - I give you guys from BIS 75% mark smile_o.gif

- Is the compass supposed to be that size(close to the eye)?

How is that a negative feature? Before in default ArmA it was impossible to read off the bearings.