Sign in to follow this  
canis lupus

Nam units

I used JB's tutorial to make this model

nam1rc4.jpg

nam2ov0.jpg

nam3lg6.jpg

its still a work in progress, there is some minor bugs that needs to be fixed and all the textures is from here and there so I need some permissions the weapon is from VTE, basicly only the model is mine.

but before I want to ask arround for permits I need to get it working properly and I need help with that.

I can't seem to make the config.cpp work, it will only work with the config that came with the tutorial, and that one will only alow me to make one unit available in the editor.

is there like a a config for dumbies out there somewhere?

comments on the units are welcome as well...

If you have interests in NAM unit making and developing your skills, you would be welcome to join us at VTE to see what we have done and how could you help.

thanks for the invite... if this one turns out well it sure would sound good...

In my opinion you can make the vest a little more darker, thus no making some diference between both.

And this is just an idea, why don't (if you know how) remove the belt in the helmet?

Any way, i recomend you to work with the VTE team, their Vietnam Mod for OFP was awesome. And keep the good work.

Looks great - would you consider a bush-hat model as well?

Thanks mate smile_o.gif

Stew

@Benoist

yes I removed the helmet belt but theres a texture beneath that is still dark and I can't find it in the paa files, but still working on it.

@Stewy

as soon as I solve my config problems I would like to add some units with bush hats yes...

I'm also planning to add some units with bacpacks, still when I find out how to add more units in the config.cpp

Another thing that i forgot, what is that with thing in the first picture? Under the soldier's arm.

Got the config sorted out, took a look at what the LoBo boy's had done and found my error.

made a new addition to the group an RTO

nam5ew4.jpg

nam6ly2.jpg

the RTO is placed on the model so it doesn't fly arround when moving

on the bottom picture you can see my texture problem on the helmet

thanks...

ok so I didn't solve the config problem completely, when I try to enter the new model, the RTO guy into the config.cpp the model just get stuck in the ground in game, I checked the LoBo config and I just can't see what thy did that I didn't.

added a little to the back

nam7eb9.jpg

and here's my RTO

nam8qr3.jpg

I know it's still WIP, and it's not a great big deal, but the Cav patch should be much larger. It is, infact, a massive sized patch and probably the largest that I have ever seen.

I know it's still WIP, and it's not a great big deal, but the Cav patch should be much larger. It is, infact, a massive sized patch and probably the largest that I have ever seen.

lol yes it's enormous

That radio looks sweeeeeeeeeeeet, i can't wait to call for an air strike and burn half of Sahrani!

Perhaps it's me, but I see the bags (those in the back) a bit lower than in the original model.

A huey, these units...we just need some vietcong units and I'll be making Nam vids biggrin_o.gif

Very promising man

inlove.gif

You need to edit the _AS maps mate, these are responsible for this pseudo-shadow.

Or edit RVMAT files so that you no longer use an _AS map and only normal/ specular.

@Benoist

its not you, I lowered the gear on the back to make it look more as if it is hanging from the soldier and not growing out of the back

@ArmaVidz

did I download a beta tester only version of VTE for arma or did you miss the release?

@Panda

I'm affraid the only thing I know about texturing is copy/paste and I can't find a tutorial, know I saw one a while ago but can't find it again.

I can just say, please join a mod team and don't "waste" this nice looking work for a single addon smile_o.gif

comments on the units are welcome as well...

Looks promissing, congrats smile_o.gif. Just my 2 cents: make the uniform a little greener and please edit the vest (so it doesn't look like an Interceptor vest, see herebelow photo) and it would be awesome.

Corky4a.jpg

fire4.jpg

There is a very interesting site for photo references on the Vietnam war herebelow :

http://www.vietnampix.com/faces.htm

You can check it to make the uniform colors and vest texture right.

@plasman

the textures are still on the "to do" list and yes they need a different green, but the "nam green" is hard to get right, but I won't quit till its there.

about the vest I don't really know how to make it different, I can't make new models, I just borrow stuff from here and there... but I'll keep my eyes out for something that might work, my units are supposed to look like aircav and as far as I know they didn't wear vests.

nam15qr1.jpg

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511....MG]

have more pics but I get an error when trying to post them:

"You are not allowed to use that image extension"

I would suggest you make Marines (they used to wear flack vests more often than the Army). To make the vest more realistic you'll need to edit the normal map files to get read of these annoying MOLLE loops. wink_o.gif

PS : Nice Huey notworthy.gif

now I'm lost again normal map files?, I'm really not very good at all this I just push bottoms untill it works at the moment...

the huey is from VTE, forgot to mention that

is this color better

nam01vf9.jpg

Yeeeees! smile_o.gif

"With a Little Help from My Friends": I'm enthusiasmed by your project. Actually I was thinking about doing a US Vietnam era unit retex myself, but yours is definitely more advanced than mine. Maybe I can lend a little hand. I cannot promise anything (I'm quite busy atm) but I will experiment some retexturing on the vest (of the Bis model) so they look more like the M1955 model.

that sounds great!

maybe you could help me with this problem aswell?

helmbt3.jpg

its supposed to be some sort of shadow problem, I also got units with bush hats that has the shadow from the headgear that I removed from the model.

the new color is matched directly from one of the pictures from that website, in the pictures I think the light color looks better but in game the darker one is definitly the best