Sign in to follow this  
Jacobss

ArmA 2 on Xbox 360

How much do you think ArmA 2 on Xbox 360 would be different than ArmA 2 on PC? For me it's a great news that ArmA 2 would be on Xbox 360, becouse you don't need think about the hardware requirements. smile_o.gif And you can have achivements and the graphic would be probably so good, how in High-End PC biggrin_o.gif, for not so many money. I hope that the game would be different from PC version only with other interface. They other things should be this same, how in the PC version. What do you think about it?

Personally i hope they dont make a console version. It means the pc version will be nowhere near as good as it should be. and that theyd have to cut things out of the game. jus my opinion

Addons and mods are probably going to be a pain in the ass on the 360. crazy_o.gif

Personally i hope they dont make a console version. It means the pc version will be nowhere near as good as it should be. and that theyd have to cut things out of the game. jus my opinion

Well, Maruk at GC said the version on Xbox 360 would be on 100% And as you now, BIS would have from X360 version much more money than from PC Version. It's quite easy to understand that PC version today, would't make much money. But, it's only your opinion but Bis have made in my opinon a very good thing with this annoucing on Xbox 360.

I just don't like Live, online should be free. Other than that I'm ok with it.

Well, Maruk at GC said the version on Xbox 360 would be on 100% And as you now, BIS would have from X360 version much more money than from PC Version. It's quite easy to understand that PC version today, would't make much money. But, it's only your opinion but Bis have made in my opinon a very good thing with this annoucing on Xbox 360.

Considering how Elite bombed on the xbox they'd have to pull something pretty special off to compete with the other big names.

Considering how Elite bombed on the xbox they'd have to pull something pretty special off to compete with the other big names.

Like a proper marketing campaign. The only reason i knew about the xbox version is because I played the PC version regularly. Even if you did know about the game it was next to impossible to find.

isnt a bad thing TBH, but how do you put addons into the game?

I hope to they will make game support all the newest technology on PC systems like 4-x CPU cores and get the code work in it so good that it can in any possibilities.

isnt a bad thing TBH, but how do you put addons into the game?

I guess via Xlive, in addon packages? Hopefully free!

It did?

I'd love to know where you're getting your facts and figures from, or are you just plucking things out of the air?

Xbox Live is only 69$ a year and you can put addons on through downloadable content or action reply. Not that hard at all.

How much do you think ArmA 2 on Xbox 360 would be different than ArmA 2 on PC? For me it's a great news that ArmA 2 would be on Xbox 360, becouse you don't need think about the hardware requirements. smile_o.gif And you can have achivements and the graphic would be probably so good, how in High-End PC biggrin_o.gif, for not so many money. I hope that the game would be different from PC version only with other interface. They other things should be this same, how in the PC version. What do you think about it?

Well its really hard to venture a guess at how much diffrent the game will be. If the graphics stay the same as they are now, which is on the level of Arma's... then its likely the game won't differ too much. Simply becuase ArmA's graphics, while good given the scale of the environment, aren't really anything special. However I would expect the amount of units on the map at any given time will be lower, and the view distance will probly be considerably lower then the max PC view distance. Other then that any graphical diffrances will likely be minor.

Now... personally I think its a terrible idea to make a 360 version. Its at least somewhat possible the PC version might suffer at the hands of a consol version. If the devs wish to just port the game, and not spend a long development time on the 360 version... they might just cut things from the overall game... things like dynamic destruction perhaps.

This happened to The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion as anyone who really followed that games development will know... the devs ended up makeing the game with the 360 version in mind more then the PC version, and cut several features and scaled back the graphics in areas to make it smooth on the 360... problem was they made the same changes to the PC version, which on a good PC would have worked fine. Lets face it... the 360 is 2 years old. It was compared to a high end PC at the time of release. Two years is a long time in PC technology... and a current high end PC is far more advanced then the 360.

On the bright side... play ArmA2 while Im away from my PC? Sure thing.

Addons and mods are probably going to be a pain in the ass on the 360. crazy_o.gif

I think we would see only the expansion addons and thats it.

For god sake dont bring it to any console.... crazy_o.gif

@blackhawky

Okay now how to propose we use Xbox360 tools to modify and build them huh.gif

You can build them in the PC yes, but then theres the case of porting them over to Xbox360. Not worth the bother .... goodnight.gif

The way I see it, this can only be good. BI is going to be developing for a wider audience, so hopefully they'll take there time and be sure it's good.

Xbox Live is only 69$ a year and you can put addons on through downloadable content or action reply. Not that hard at all.

It's more about principle. I shouldn't have to pay for a feature that I've been getting for free on other consoles or my PC. Even if it's cheap it's something that shouldn't cost money in the first place.

Well its really hard to venture a guess at how much diffrent the game will be. If the graphics stay the same as they are now, which is on the level of Arma's... then its likely the game won't differ too much. Simply becuase ArmA's graphics, while good given the scale of the environment, aren't really anything special. However I would expect the amount of units on the map at any given time will be lower, and the view distance will probly be considerably lower then the max PC view distance. Other then that any graphical diffrances will likely be minor.

Now... personally I think its a terrible idea to make a 360 version. Its at least somewhat possible the PC version might suffer at the hands of a consol version. If the devs wish to just port the game, and not spend a long development time on the 360 version... they might just cut things from the overall game... things like dynamic destruction perhaps.

This happened to The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion as anyone who really followed that games development will know... the devs ended up makeing the game with the 360 version in mind more then the PC version, and cut several features and scaled back the graphics in areas to make it smooth on the 360... problem was they made the same changes to the PC version, which on a good PC would have worked fine. Lets face it... the 360 is 2 years old. It was compared to a high end PC at the time of release. Two years is a long time in PC technology... and a current high end PC is far more advanced then the 360.

On the bright side... play ArmA2 while Im away from my PC? Sure thing.

Lol. I think you are a PC Fanboy. banghead.gif I see you have no Idea (I mean yet not you, but the other people they writing in this forum about such things like "Arma 2 will be horrible on Xbox 360 or something such things") what BIS would have from Xbox 360 version. Today, from PC games, developers like BIS would not have many money becouse the sellings of this games on PC is horrible. Why? Don't ask me. It is so. whistle.gif The best way to have many money is make a game for consoles. I think the BIS with ArmA 2 would have a very great future on X360. On X360 such games are very very expected. Well, PC with Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb, 2 GB and Dual Core e6600 is only a little better than Xbox 360. I mean with games not specifications. And what I found very bad in this forum is the fact, that when comes ArmA only on PC the people says "yeah this game would rox, and so..." and in the pc magazines and rankings this game I must say "sux"Sorry, I like ArmA but is it only a fact. whistle.gif Now the people are saying like you "this game would be not good on X360" and I think it would be complett different. On PC the Hype would be not so good how on the X360. When BIS found the publisher than with a great marketing campaign the people would see this ArmA 2 and they would buy it. yay.gif It's my opinion. Ah and Oblivion, was so bad sometimes on X360 becouse they have a little time the devkits. Today, Oblivion on PS3 is so good how in the PC. Well, it is possible to do this, I mean make a game so good how on PC or allmost so good smile_o.gif. You would see in the next year that ArmA 2 on X360 would be success.

While it's true that aiming a game at the console market will generally net you more cash, it always results in a dumbed down experience. It's par for the course on a system where you have limited resources to run your game and a clumsy controller that allows for minimal control options, depth or precision.

Look at all the games that were simultaneously developed for consoles and the PC. No matter how good they are on the consoles, they almost all turn out to be absolute garbage as a PC game. Even the absolute best console games are merely "good" as a PC port (and ports are all they ever are - simultaneous multiplatform development is a myth). Consolification or "The Deus Ex 2 Effect" as it's also known, is slowly choking the life and innovation out of PC gaming.

Do you honestly think that a game with the scope and depth of an ArmA would be possible on a console? OFP: Elite is not going to help you here. It was a stripped out, simplified version of OFP, nothing more. Take one look at your ArmA controls list and you'll realise quite quickly why it's such a problem. The only way this sort of thing ever works is when two seperate versions of a game are made, one for each platform. The end result is different games though, so the whole thing becomes null anyway.

The day consoles come with a mouse and keyboard as standard and have the ability to be upgraded is the day that we may finally see the end of consolification. Until then though, every time a developer announces a promising title (or the sequel to a venerated classic) is going cross-platform I will continue to cringe as I have done ever since Deus Ex 2 became the pebble that started an avalance.

Also wasn't mission making on the Xbox a bit of a crappy affair. I can't see that changing with the 360.

Downloads via live will never be free as it's controlled by microsoft. Although there are some freebies on live BIS couldn't tell microsoft to give them away.

I can't see how the mod scene would work.

And one final point. I thought BIS wanted to keep the rights to ArmA. Surley making a 360 version would be handing some rights over to microsoft. Knowing how microsoft do there business.

While it's true that aiming a game at the console market will generally net you more cash, it always results in a dumbed down experience. It's par for the course on a system where you have limited resources to run your game and a clumsy controller that allows for minimal control options, depth or precision.

Look at all the games that were simultaneously developed for consoles and the PC. No matter how good they are on the consoles, they almost all turn out to be absolute garbage as a PC game. Even the absolute best console games are merely "good" as a PC port (and ports are all they ever are - simultaneous multiplatform development is a myth). Consolification or "The Deus Ex 2 Effect" as it's also known, is slowly choking the life and innovation out of PC gaming.

Do you honestly think that a game with the scope and depth of an ArmA would be possible on a console? OFP: Elite is not going to help you here. It was a stripped out, simplified version of OFP, nothing more. Take one look at your ArmA controls list and you'll realise quite quickly why it's such a problem. The only way this sort of thing ever works is when two seperate versions of a game are made, one for each platform. The end result is different games though, so the whole thing becomes null anyway.

The day consoles come with a mouse and keyboard as standard and have the ability to be upgraded is the day that we may finally see the end of consolification. Until then though, every time a developer announces a promising title (or the sequel to a venerated classic) is going cross-platform I will continue to cringe as I have done ever since Deus Ex 2 became the pebble that started an avalance.

Well it's not a problem today to release a game with Mouse and Keyboard support. Look at Unreal Tournament III on PS3. This game would have support of the Mouse and the Keyboard. Well, I didin't think about OFP Elite, becouse this game was bad, only becouse was released to late and for old console. 360 comes in November 2005 and OFP Elite too in November on old Xbox 1. This was a bad choice to released this game so late and for such old console at this time like Xbox1. ArmA II would be interesting on X360 becouse such games can you not find on this platform. Mix with FPP, RTS and RPG sound's really as good game. And I now one good game, that have been made on two platforms at the same time, Bioshock. On PC is too so good how in X360. It is possible to make such game. I can now say that in the next year, you would see the big success of ArmA II on X360. Only of course when BIS would find very quick the publisher and the publisher would make a good marketing campaign. whistle.gif I see that even without the mods and addons ArmA II would be success on X360, it's my opinion.

No they wouldn't.

If they REALLY need to "Dumb it down" for us "Stupid braindead consoler players" then you wont loose out, they will just pull a BF2 on our asses and make a scabby cheap shite version for console.

ALSO: The only reason it was so hard to "port" addons to the Xbox OFP:E is it was half way between OFP and ArmA. Whereas ArmA2 will be the same engine and system on both, even if the console one has lower veiw distance

Well I am willing to try a console version if it hasn't any major drawbacks feature-wise compared to the PC version.

All the problems with PC hardware and software are driving lots of people in this forum mad, and personally, I've almost had enough of using sophisticated but unreliable and unnecessarily complex to setup technology, such as a PC, for playing games. Becoming a troubleshooter computer mechanic & system administrator is one thing, playing games for entertainment should be another thing.

The way I see it, this can only be good. BI is going to be developing for a wider audience, so hopefully they'll take there time and be sure it's good.

Are you retarded? Do you know what 'wider audience' means? It means 'MAINSTREAM'. That means dumbing down the game, turning it into another god-damn Counter Strike.

Maybe you were too dense to notice, but back in the day, back when PC games were PC GAMES and there was no such thing as 'dual releases', games were BETTER.

Quote[/b] ]Today, from PC games, developers like BIS would not have many money becouse the sellings of this games on PC is horrible. Why? Don't ask me. It is so.

It's a myth *and* a lie that PC games don't sell well. Dual-releases sell *MORE*, that's a fact, because you have a wider audience, obviously. However, PC games that were successfully and properly marketed and were actually, y'know, GOOD, have always sold very well.

ArmA didn't sell very well because:

1) Absolutely zero marketing. I hadn't even HEARD of the game until I saw someone talking about it on one of my IRC channels.

2) It's a niche market game, as it's hyper-realistic and very complex with a steep learning curve. Niche games also mean a smaller market.

If PC games always had poor sales, why the hell does John Romero have more money then god and was giving away a FERRARI as grand prize for some tournament?

Quote[/b] ]

That won't even suffice. 'More controls' is just a slice of the pie, but the fact is that, whether it's true or not (personally I think it's true), publishers treat console gamers as slightly retarded kids with ADHD. There was a Penny Arcade strip a few months ago that had Gabe playing Halo 3, and his mind snapped and he suddenly started talking about how "Troy's parents are out of town so he's throwing a wicked kegger". That's the Xbox gamer 'image' that publishers have and make games that will appeal to that mentality. The "reading is for nerds" and "if it doesn't have tits and explosions its gay".

Video games were better back in 2001, before the Xbox and PS2 'mainstreamed' gaming. Every game for the PC had depth, charm, and polish, and even games that didn't have polish ala Tribes 2, were simply absolutely fucking awesome games. I liken it to a classical music concert, when suddenly a bunch of greasy teenagers kick in the doors and start skateboarding around the stage, Linkin Park starts playing, and they start bitching about how Bach is 'gay' and 'boring'.

Considering how weak the Xbox was for OFP: E, yet BIS managed to bring out the most of it with no dumb-downs, I just can't see why the hell are ppl whining that it would be a dumbed-down crap. The controls won't be so great, but I don't mind, because upgrading a PC is a lot more expensive.

Uranium: only 7 posts so far, yet you're calling others retarded, while it's you who's retarded (retardeds who think they are the smart are another mainstream category biggrin_o.gif) OFP: E for Xbox is just as tough as any other BIS games, plus ArmA was said to be more mainstream, yet I can't see any difference in diffculty compared to OFP.

Oh, and wider audience means that guys who own an Xbox 360 can play ArmA too.

If ArmA2 comes to consoles....well... I'm not sure many will appreciate an xbox360 game thats still in alpha.