Sign in to follow this  
afforever

Parachute

Just a few things concerning parachute ...

fix a parachute bug

make parachute steerable

i want to open parachute manually

we are not in WW2

thx

What do you mean we're not in WWII, static lines and non-steerable chutes are still in use today.

fix a parachute bug

make parachute steerable

i want to open parachute manually

we are not in WW2

thx

*BIS hops and skips to your every demand*

Honestly..

This will no doubt be a addon released when the tools come out ... paitence young one tounge2.gif

[1] fix a parachute bug

[2] make parachute steerable

[3] i want to open parachute manually

[4] we are not in WW2

thx

1. Just a parachute bug? Any one? Do you have any particular in mind?

2. The visually modeled parachute in ArmA should be steerable. However the military doesn't use this kind of parachute except for special forces HALO or HAHO drops.

3. Again, ram-air square parachutes may or may not be manually openable (some are static line) but definately not the standard fare infantry issue ones.

4. We might not be in WWII but we are still in Vietnam when it comes to parachuting technology. 95% of parachuting that happens in the military is done:

A. From a normal height (1000 ft or so)

B. Under a boring round canopy

C. Without the ability to steer

I take considerable issue with how BIS implemented parachutes in ArmA. It's hard to imagine how they could have FUBAR'd it any worse.

Firstly

Who has parachutes? What type do they have?

ArmA:

Everyone (ram air)

Real Life:

Most everyone (no 'chute at all)

Airborne troops, jet pilots, helicopter pilots (round static line T-10 parachute)

Special forces (ram air)

Ram-air "square" parachutes are exceedingly rare in terms of military equipment. In reality a parachute is a bulky, specialized piece of equipment and only a small fraction of parachutes are the extra super specialized ram air kind. Only a few people use them. In ArmA everyone has a ram air one in their back pocket!!! GRRR. BRAIN. HURT.

Secondly

What is a parachute's altitude performance? Reuse ability?

In ArmA: At stupid-low altitudes a parachute slows you down easily.

In reality: It takes at least 70m to have any hope of a parachute preventing you from splatting into the ground. The parachute opening takes some time and even after its open it takes a few seconds to stop a fast downward descent.

You never have to pack a parachute or disconnect from it once on the ground in ArmA. It's always there, you can sprint with it on, and use it infinite times.

Thirdly

Steerable? Opening control?

In reality: Only the ram air types are truely steerable. The T-10 parachute is "non-steerable." Since BIS went to the trouble to visually model a MC-4 or whatever ram air type chute they might as well get the performance characteristics right! One should be able to fly these.

Opening control is either done by static line (most common), altimeter device setting (common backup for manual open), and a manual opening. No military application of a manual open chute (special forces) would ever allow a jump without an automated backup altimeter device.

In ArmA: The one modeled parachute is not steerable despite that type should be. Opening control is static line which can and is used sometimes with the ram air MC-4 type chute but often not in special forces missions.

2. The visually modeled parachute in ArmA should be steerable. However the military doesn't use this kind of parachute except for special forces HALO or HAHO drops.

Also known to be used in HOOAH drops.

Also known to be used in HOOAH drops.

I lol'd at the HOOAH drops part.

fix a parachute bug

The bug, which I seem to be getting more and more, is that you jump from the helo or whatever and  the parachute opens successfully.  You glide towards the taking in the view, wishing you could steer etc. Then 10 or 20 meters of the ground your parachute disappears and you drop the remaining distance turning into a dead lump of red mess as you meet the ground.

It's been mentioned in a few posts, I've only had it in MP games.

It is logged in bug tracker as 0002667