Sign in to follow this  
celery

Mission name standard

I'm not sure if this has been addressed, sorry if it was and I missed it.

I have seen some maps that seem to use another part of the name to catagorize the specific mission maker, or type of map such as a clan training map.

Using your example:

CO 06 Kill the AI

The name specifies these parts:

game type

maximum number of players

mission name

I have seen it added either before or after the mission name in a few variations.

Example:

CO 06 KJ's Kill the AI

or

CO 06 Kill the AI 101st CQB Training 4a.

Hopefully I haven't lost you.

My point is what recomended when trying to put more information into the name.

~KISS? (keep it simple stupid)

~Take your credit in the damn breif?

~

It's best to let people know who made the map in the briefing or the mission itself, or if it's really urgent, in the mission description. Clans may have their own training maps that rarely make sense outside the clan so in that case house rules apply, it's their mission list afterall.

Of course the maker's name can be a part of the mission name, assuming that the maker knows the risk of making a silly impression.

So long as it isnt in the mission name itself i dont really mind where it goes. The mission description is only 1 line long on the waiting screen so theres not much you can fit on there anyway, you can stick your name, or a catchphrase or something in it, or maybe a quick description of the mission if it is 'unique' otherwise i dont think its that useful.

Breifings i usually like to be clear about what to do in the mission instead of having "Made by xxxx" or whatever plastered all over it, use the notes section!! biggrin_o.gif

I shall be using this standard in the future.. =)

Thanks for the repsonse. I think the idea of using notes for such stuff is a good standard. I'm using the notes section for that and to thank testers and give credit to the makers of scripts that I used.

If your really need to show an "I made this", you can always make a QUICK and pretty intro with your name on it.

Have already been using the standard for filenames since OFP, the in-game .sqm names I have until now been using the underscores too, but I will gradually conform my maps to the format specified in here.

There's a game-type missing:

AAS - Advance-And-Secure

Please add it to the list.

On multiplayer browser it will be listed as 'Team' as there's nothing else close enough to the gametype.

WarWolf @ Aug. 02 2007,17:41)]AAS - Advance-And-Secure

Technically speaking AAS is exactly the same as Capture & Hold or Sector Control, the BF2 community just gave a different name for it.

this is an excellent post but in all honestly is not going to work unless people are "forced" to post their missions with that format. If you take a look below on the missions you will see that reading the first post you still don't know what gameplay is it, how many people etc. Moderators should impose these standards...in my opinion.

If we think out of the box and take a step back Arma just like OFP will be prohibiting in mp for new players. They will not be able to join any server, cause they will need xyz addon, mod script or whatever and admins that want to download missions...will not know which one is using what and what gameplay is each one. I firmly believe that BIS should take a stand on this one for the benefit of the game, in imposing some standards.

May I also suggest apart from the usual stuff it would be nice if 2 pieces of information was supplied on each mission:

1. If the addon(s) required are client side installed, server side or both

2. What respawn system is used i.e. i.no respawn ii. respawn of some kind (group etc), iii. revive.

As an admin i'm trying to find coop missions that use revive script and if someone take a genuine look at the missions below one by one for some of them you cannot even tell if it is coop or not.

Any suggestions regarding the specification of Queen's Gambit exclusive missions in the standard? Is there need to mark official expansion content or will everyone get QG anyway? If it's needed, how should it be signified?

This thread was meant to set the standard.

QG CTF 24 Flag Rambos

qg_ctf_24_flag_rambos

How's it going to be?

QG CTF 24 Flag Rambos

qg_ctf_24_flag_rambos

How's it going to be?

Since Queen's Gambit is so common among active players and new ones are likely to buy the gold pack, I'd say a QG tag is not needed.

QG CTF 24 Flag Rambos

qg_ctf_24_flag_rambos

How's it going to be?

Since Queen's Gambit is so common among active players and new ones are likely to buy the gold pack, I'd say a QG tag is not needed.

I actually name my QG-Missions like the standart ArmA-Missions as long as they don't need any 3rd party addons. Most are located on United Sahrani and Porto anyway, so the island gives the info anyway.

MfG Medicus smile_o.gif

I added a note about expansions near the start of the sticky.

Celery, I love playing your maps.

Quick question: how do I name a map if it's a CTF for three teams with 20 people on each team.. and I have another CTF map for 2 teams with 30 people on each team?

60 CTF Kill Maze <- 3 teams 20/20/20

60 CTF Kill Maze <- 2 teams 30/30

Doolittle

Celery, I love playing your maps.

Doesn't everyone? wink_o.gif I mean, humble thanks!

Quick question: how do I name a map if it's a CTF for three teams with 20 people on each team.. and I have another CTF map for 2 teams with 30 people on each team?

60 CTF Kill Maze <- 3 teams 20/20/20

60 CTF Kill Maze <- 2 teams 30/30

Doolittle

The player amount is always how many can play. Maybe you can add "3 way" or somesuch in the name of the three team map, like CTF 60 Kill Maze -3WAY-, the power is yours.

Sometimes original missions are edited by others. Those others take mission, for example: Evo 2.5, add some features, changes and put on their sever as Evo 2.6.

It creates disorder. You don't know which version is newer, which is original/modified by others.

There should be standard for modified missions, maybe:

BASE_MISSION_NAME_WITH_TYPE_VERSION_ETC (AUTHOR version_of_modification)

for example:

CO 20 Big battle v1.2 (KNDR 0.95)

That isn't exactly in the "jurisdiction" of this mission name standard but one good way to prevent people vandalising mission names like that is to include a request in the briefing or readme file that asks not to change only the version number and instead make the mission name recognizable from the original.

Im in the process of changing all mission names on the GOL server to this standard both in pbo names and mission.sqm names.. to make life easier.. but theres like 100 missions i have to edit sad_o.gif but i guess it will be worth it in the end..

good job, nice to see this. If i ever finish any mission i am working on, i will certainly use these rules.

Ah yes " You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth " :p

We should start an Incomplete Mission thread! :yay:

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

The last post here was almost 3 years ago...