Sign in to follow this  
lockjaw-65-

Standalone server config problem

Hi all, Just tryin to set up my server its on a separate pc but on same network. I have transfered all game over (1.08 version). I can launch server and join it no problem and is visible to all online. The problem is that i cannot get it to see the config file so i can name and edit settings etc. I have looked and searched for days but keep coming up with the same things. Can anyone please help with this problem. Many thanks......

so your running the dedicated server using the arma_server.exe right? you have to create a file called whatever you want, lets say server.cfg and save that in the main arma directory (where the exe is) in that config you would put something like what is shown on this page, also has alot of good info. Server example and this page tells you how to setup the server Server Bookmark that wiki page, lots of good info about arma and even ofp. Hope that helps

thanks for your reply, yeah this is my problem i have done all that. but when i launch the server the server name is the pc name and i cannot edit it, so it must not be seeing the config file. i have done the config file as it says and saved it with notebook but still no joy! One thing i dont understand is where it says the config file could be called anything. The real name is determined by -config command line option when launching the dedicated server?

In the launch command line for your server rty removing the quotation marks from around the config name ie. -config=sample.cfg rather than -config="sample.cfg" as it states in the wiki.

I had to do this to my server last week even though it worked fine the other way in 1.05

Feel really thick now, where do i find the launch command line, and thanks for your help both of you...Just that whatever i do does not seem to make any difference. i thought the command line was where it says target on the short cut?

Another point is that i dont have the game installed as such just transfered, but it does say on the wiki that this is how you do it for standalone server. am i correct?

In the ArmA main directory for example c:\program files\arma you should see the arma_server.exe Create a shortcut for that on the desktop. Then right click and properties and under the line "target" you should see c:\program files\arma\arma_server.exe At the end of that command line add -config=server.cfg so it would look like this <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">ArmA_Server.exe -config=server.cfg -netlog -port=2302 The -port is to specify what port the game is usingwhich is 2302 by default. In the server.cfg file you should have something similar to this <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// server.cfg

passwordAdmin = "xyzxyz"; // password to protect admin access

password = "xyz"; // password required to connect to server

hostname="OFP Server # 1";

motd[]= {"Welcome to OFP server.","Hosted by Flashpoint Webworlds.",}; // Welcome message, two lines "," means 'new line'

motdInterval=1; // if motd has multiple lines, how fast to show these in succession (default is 5 seconds).

voteThreshold=0.33; // when one third agrees, this is enough to confirm a vote

reportingIP=""; // private server - no reporting ("armedass.master.gamespy.com" to report to the master server)

voteMissionPlayers=3; // start voting for missions when 3 players connect

checkfiles[]={"HWTL\dta\data3d.pbo","dta\data3d.pbo"}; //list of files to check for identity

kickduplicate=1; // do not allow duplicate id

equalModRequired=1; // require equal mod

class Missions {};

Under hostname put the name of your host. So try running the server after configuring the above information in your server.cfg. Does the server run and can people access it from the internet? Is it named according to what you put in your server.cfg? Do the passwords and such work?

crazy_o.gif Hello im having the exact same problem and my target has the command line same as you suggested and my server.cfg file is the same too. (except with my server/host name and password??) im also running the 1.08 version on a seperate pc on same network, so rick is not alone with this problem??? Tried my target line several different ways. are any right

"C:\Program Files\BohemiaInteractive\ArmA\arma_server.exe" -config= server.cfg -netlog -port=2302

"C:\Program Files\BohemiaInteractive\ArmA\arma_server.exe"-config= server.cfg-port=2302

"C:\Program Files\BohemiaInteractive\ArmA\arma_server.exe" -config= server.cfg -netlog -port2302

Hope you can help US with this problem. Thanks. Hope you dont mind me joining your post Rick. If i find an answer you will be the first to know help.gif

Andy, not a problem, dont mean to be cruel but im glad sombody else got same problem. Ive tried all the same things as you but still not working. Server works fine and people connect ok but just cannot use pasword and server name etc...Also tried all those combinations but just same!

This is how my "target" line looks in my shortcut:

....\ArmA\ArmA_Server.exe -config=dedicated.cfg

You do not need to specify anything else.

In the ArmA folder I then have my dedicated.cfg file with info like the others have shown in it.

Rick im glad i found someone with same problem too. dont feel as stupid now lol sorry..only joking

ive tried the target line in all the different ways and still nothing,..well if anyone comes up with a solve please help..And rick il let you know in here if i solve it. confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]"C:\Program Files\BohemiaInteractive\ArmA\arma_server.exe" -config= server.cfg -netlog -port=2302

"C:\Program Files\BohemiaInteractive\ArmA\arma_server.exe"-config= server.cfg-port=2302

"C:\Program Files\BohemiaInteractive\ArmA\arma_server.exe" -config= server.cfg -netlog -port2302

Try this: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">C:\Program Files\BohemiaInteractive\ArmA\arma_server.exe" -config=server.cfg -netlog

It looks like you have a space in your 'config=server.cfg' and I don't think you need the port command as it defaults to 2302.

Hope that helps.

Mosh

The easiest way to tell if a file is actually in use by the game is to start the server exe then try to edit your server.cfg if you are unable to save your changes then its in use, that will then tell u that the command line syntax is ok, If the server starts but dies with an error i.e "error : instead of blah blah" then u have a syntax error in the server.cfg

Thanks Aussie, tried to edit the config file while the server was running and i could edit it without any problems, so it is not using it....Thanks

Also Mosh thanks for your input, tried that and guess what still no joy

Problum is youre Registry the arma_server.exe does not know whare the defult path is on youre pc go to start/run type regedit go to hkey_local_machine then software then to atari if you have the us ver or Bohimia interactive for non us right click on the entry and export to desktop. transfer to server and dobble click the file on the server. if you put the server not in a defult path open the .reg file up in notpad edit.

find the line "MAIN"="C:\\Program files\\Atari\\ArmA" or whatever it says and change target path

note youre cd-key is in that file to so you can remove the key line

welcome.gif

Thanks Aussie, tried to edit the config file while the server was running and i could edit it without any problems, so it is not using it....Thanks

Also Mosh thanks for your input, tried that and guess what still no joy

What application did you use to make the cfg file?

If you use notepad, it won't save the .cfg out. it will be a .cfg.txt and the server will miss it.

It'd be nice if the there was a errior generated if the cfg file mentioned in the shortcut wasn't found.

Tankbuster has a good point, sometimes it will not save as a CFG file, copy the server.cfg your using into the C:\ Root and opena dos window do a directory lsiting and see what the file is called it maybe server.txt.cfg or something like that, if so then rename it to the correct file name.

Even rename won't do it. Windows is a funny fish like that.

You might need to use a real file editor. I use Professional File Editor, also known as PFE. Don't be scared, it aint professional and it is easy to use and my favourite price - free!

Ok i ve got it to use my cfg file now but the game does not appear in the internet list only on LAN?? What do i need to do to get it working?

Rick i downloaded and created my cfg with the proffesional file editor as Tank buster SPAFF suggested. And its working now but not completely as above. yay.gif

Port forwarding and firewall all configured?

Rick im done pal..My target line looks like this.."C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma_server.exe" -config=server.cfg

and then after making my cfg file in proffesional file editor my cfg file looks like this. ish

// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// server.cfg

passwordAdmin = ""; // password to protect admin access

password = ""; // password required to connect to server

hostname="";

motd[]= {"Welcome to  server.","Hosted by -.",}; // Welcome message, two lines "," means 'new line'

motdInterval=1; //

voteThreshold=0.33; // reportingIP="armedass.master.gamespy.com"; //  voteMissionPlayers=10; // start voting for missions when 3

checkfiles[]={"HWTL\dta\data3d.pbo","dta\data3d.pbo"}; //list of files to check for identity

class Missions {};

with my password and host name filled in of course..

it was the reporting ip i had wrong. now it says the armedass.master.gamespy line spelt correctly it is showing up online...

woo hoo. Thanks to TankbusterSPAFF for your input

And thank you to all who came up with suggestions, they all helped me get a touch closer. GOOD LUCK RICK.

biggrin_o.gif  Thanks again

Quote[/b] ]checkfiles[]={"HWTL\dta\data3d.pbo","dta\data3d.pbo"}; //list of files to check for identity

The line will not check any files, its for OFP If I remember correctly

Rick im done pal..My target line looks like this

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma_server.exe" -config=server.cfg

and then after making my cfg file in proffesional file editor my cfg file looks like this.

// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// server.cfg

passwordAdmin = ""; // password to protect admin access

password = ""; // password required to connect to server

hostname="";

motd[]= {"Welcome to server.","Hosted by -.",}; // Welcome message, two lines "," means 'new line'

motdInterval=1; //

voteThreshold=0.33; // reportingIP="armedass.master.gamespy.com"; // voteMissionPlayers=10; // start voting for missions when 3

class Missions {};

with my password and host name filled in of course..

it was the reporting ip i had wrong. now it says the armedass.master.gamespy line spelt correctly it is showing up online...

woo hoo. Thanks to TankbusterSPAFF for your input

And thank you to all who came up with suggestions, they all helped me get a touch closer. GOOD LUCK RICK.

biggrin_o.gif Thanks again

My pleasure. That's the first time I've given help rather than received it. I feel I've finally arrived!

By the way, I don't use the server reporting thingy, but that's firstly because I've never looked into what it does and secondly because my server is really only a testing ground for my clans stuff and for an occasionally bit of co-op.

Thanks Aussie il remove that line and see if anything changes.

And Tankbuster that line that says reportingIP.. If i dont put anything in there my game does not appear in server list?? i can oonly find it on LAN.. So i when i put armedass. blah blah it then showed up?? am i still doing something wrong?? if someone can explain the whole file it would help..

You have arrived SPAFF lol..

Thanks again all.

My server doesn't report, yet it can be seen in the gamespy list. I'm not really sure what it does.