Sign in to follow this  
kronzky

Evolution - Single Player

I've have trouble getting this mission to work. Once it finishes loading, the screen returns to the single mission menu.

I put the folder in my Arma/missions, and the .pbo in my @addons/addon folder. What am I doing wrong?

I've have trouble getting this mission to work. Once it finishes loading, the screen returns to the single mission menu.

I put the folder in my Arma/missions, and the .pbo in my @addons/addon folder. What am I doing wrong?

Just put the EvolutionSP.Sara.pbo directly in your missions folder. It shouldn't be a folder within a folder.

Kronzky,

Very nice mission, thank you for making it! The code system is good, too, I already got to the point where the cannot be loaded back but the code at least made it possible to not have to restart from the very start.

I'd also like to ask for a new feature: the ability to select time of day (from the radio menu, maybe.) The reason for this is that most SP missions out there are played during the night and I'd like to be able to play at least some missions during daytime, as I find that more interesting. So being able to set the time (like morning, noon, afternoon, night) would be nice.

Thanks again for this mission!

Just put the EvolutionSP.Sara.pbo directly in your missions folder. It shouldn't be a folder within a folder.

So I put them both in:

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\Missions

It still doesn't work.

A-10 still had ammo in beta 0.5, and radio call to save is accidentally named as suffle.

Thanks for reporting these issues. Both have been fixed in 0.6.

Which version of ArmA are you running? This mission needs 1.08.

If you do have it, try to find your ArmA.RPT file (should be in the profiles folder), and see if that tells you anything about why it doesn't want to start.

Very nice mission, thank you for making it! The code system is good, too, I already got to the point where the cannot be loaded back but the code at least made it possible to not have to restart from the very start.

I'd also like to ask for a new feature: the ability to select time of day (from the radio menu, maybe.) The reason for this is that most SP missions out there are played during the night and I'd like to be able to play at least some missions during daytime, as I find that more interesting. So being able to set the time (like morning, noon, afternoon, night) would be nice.

In the latest version (0.6) I have implemented the team scoring feature that I mentioned above (where you get partial points for kills your AI team mates make), and another new features is that you can "wait" for 2 hours when you're in the mission selection shack. That way you can forward to any time you prefer.

Ok, I got it to work.

I'm very impressed, although at first I thought it was too difficult. First thing I did was venture my way into the city, but obviously I didn't last long.  rofl.gif

Then, I decided to gain some points with a side mission, so I chose the one where I'd have to save the reporter. Once again, that was very difficult.

So next, I attacked the city, but tactically. Eventually, after upgrading, I managed to almost destroy a T-72. I killed the escaping crew, and then took for myself. I ordered one of my AI at the base to get in a repair truck, and drive to my location. When the T-72 was repaired, he followed me back to the base, where I let him and another waiting AI to get in, while I took commander.

I've never had so much fun reeking havok in a tank before. I always thought that the controls were sloppy, but after getting used to them, I think they are pretty good.  thumbs-up.gif

Anyways, great mission. I was probably playing for three hours before I quit.

hello,

Gosh, i go to work for the weekend and when I come back it's gone public and 3 versions higher!

Splendid stuff.

Good to hear Bis is looking into the savegame issue, lets keep our fingers crossed for a fix as IMHO massive missions is what the virtual battlefield is all about smile_o.gif

Keep up the good work.

Rgds

LoK

how do I see how many points I have?

You press "I" to see the score.

You press "P" to see ping and bandwidth.

You call up the mini-map via the radio (0-0-0)

Im really enjoying it but respawns would be nice, i have a feeling I may only ever see paraiso without them confused_o.gif

Edit: Answered

I would really like it if I had 1 or 2 squad members at the beggining of the game

You press "I" to see the score.

You press "P" to see ping and bandwidth.

That only works in MP. If you read the thread title you will see it says "Single Player" wink_o.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>GOOD NEWS!!!</span>

It looks like I was finally able to fix the game save issue!!! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Get the latest version, and give it a spin...

The rank selector is still there, but has now been relegated to the radio menu.

A Polish translation (by HqPL) has also been added.

That means we have it in SIX languages now! The only one missing is Czech. Are there really no Czech players out there? That's strange... wink_o.gif

Good job on fixing the save, it makes this much more viable.

Regarding difficulty I managed to clear the entire first town solo with only one or two issues with the local garrison.

Good job on fixing the save, it makes this much more viable.

Regarding difficulty I managed to clear the entire first town solo with only one or two issues with the local garrison.

I'd like to know what strategy you used because it seems impossible to do it on your own. After 4, or 5 shots the enemy hones in on your position and you're toast pistols.gif

Great mission though, thanks a lot.

- Doesn't use your urban patrol script at a glance in the editor. Would it be possible to implement, would it be worthwhile (or is there an equivalent in place already?)

- Is it possible to make the weather placement/direction somewhat random?

- What about some Friendly AI attacks to simulate the other human players on a coop server (make it feel less like everyone is just waiting for you). I don't know anything about mission making or scripting beyond drag and drop so I don't know how difficult that would be to implement (I imagine; banghead.gifbanghead.gif) - but might be nice to spawn some friendly AI squad to assist in seek and destroy that you're not control of.

it seems impossible to do it on your own. After 4, or 5 shots the enemy hones in on your position and you're toast

I have the same problem. I consider myself being average/good OFP/ArmA player and this mission is difficult to the point it is not enjoyable anymore. Also it seems that the enemy createunit is infinite, they just keep coming and coming... I dont mind difficult fight, if its ONE or TWO fights, but to continue on when you're outta bullets ducking T72 is not enjoyable in my experience.

it seems impossible to do it on your own. After 4, or 5 shots the enemy hones in on your position and you're toast

I have the same problem. I consider myself being average/good OFP/ArmA player and this mission is difficult to the point it is not enjoyable anymore. Also it seems that the enemy createunit is infinite, they just keep coming and coming... I dont mind difficult fight, if its ONE or TWO fights, but to continue on when you're outta bullets ducking T72 is not enjoyable in my experience.

yeah sure it may be Mission Impossible at the start while you're just a Private, but as you progress up the ranks you can constantly call in AIs to help you out of tight spots, plus you get access to better kit.... stick with it it will get easier not harder wink_o.gif

That only works in MP. If you read the thread title you will see it says "Single Player" wink_o.gif

Doh! crazy_o.gifsmile_o.gif

If you hadn´t quoted my post, it would have been lost in oblivion.

goodnight.gif

smile_o.gif

yeah sure it may be Mission Impossible at the start while you're just a Private, but as you progress up the ranks you can constantly call in AIs to help you out of tight spots, plus you get access to better kit.... stick with it it will get easier not harder wink_o.gif

I've not used the AI's.

I got to the transmitter and then had to go out. Of course I couldn't reload the game from that position. I think i gained two ranks getting there.

I found the entry point into the city was vital. I drove down the runway and turned right after the open forest onto a road. There were a number of sandbag bunkers. I then made my way towards the church. I came across one squad and pretty much murdered them instantly with burst fire. I got myself into a strong hold thats only accessible by steps and sniped the guys on the hill near the church. I periodically covered the bottle neck behind me. Obviously had to displace fairly regularly and loot ammo.

Took out the T72 with a discarded RPG.

I then made my way up the hill to the church clearing the odd prone sniper that was left. Stormed the courtyard next to the transmitter.......

Thats as far as I got.

I have to admit I hadn't played in a while and my sniping was off. But I soon got back into it. I would run into the road burst fire a couple of the enemy then dive back in a building or go up the stairs.

Kronzky, great job! I'm a former OFP player with average skills and I find this mission isn't terribly difficult as people describe in this post.

It all has to do with tactics (and rank) - for beginners, find a good vantage point on one of the hills surrounding the first town Paraiso and take out the patrolling jeep (I just shoot them with my rifle as you need those m136's later) .. once they're dead, I hop in the jeep machine gunner position and just blow away any enemy infantry coming to find out what's going on. Yes, a bmp or other vehicle may come your way just hop out of the jeep and hide in the city somewhere.. I like hiding on top of the steps on the side of some building - it's a good vantage point and if you start taking enemy fire, just lay prone and the small wall will protect you. After awhile doing this and scavenging enemy weapons I gain a rank then head back to base and gear up to blow that darned communications tower..

As I've said before - concentrate on the high-value targets to get your first rank as quickly as possible.

I never even bother engaging other low-level grunts. It's just not worth it. I only go for the tanks and vehicles. Take out one T72 (with 3 units in it), and you already got 1,600 points!

Take advantage of the spy plane that gives you occasional glances on enemy positions (the white circle on the map), sneak up on those positions, and then do a quick hit and run. The motorcycle (loaded with a few extra RPGs) is extremely useful for that.

It never takes me more than an hour to gain the first rank (and Im a pretty average player - after all I never have time to actually play ArmA - I'm always just working on one project or another), so it can't be that impossible...

Another thing to keep in mind for when things get tricky is the shuttle. It's a resistance (neutral) chopper, so enemy troops won't shoot at him. So if you're ever cornered in some hopeless situation, try to find a decent landing spot for him, call him, and he may actually be your savior (he will always try to land at the position you called him from).

BTW - The previous readme specified a wrong destination folder. It has to be copied into the mission folder that goes off the main game directory (where ArmA.exe is located), and NOT into the one in the MyDocuments folder (that's just for editable missions). Sorry if I confused anybody...

One problem with having the Rank Select on Radio now rather than at the start of the mission:

I guess it does an addrating *Whatever* when you type in the correct password, so If you use it when you're higher than 0 then it'll add towards your current rank.

I unlocked Captain and typed in the Password to see if it did anything and ended up as a Colonel. tounge2.gif