Sign in to follow this  
kronzky

Evolution - Single Player

The conversion was based on V1.5L (which already had most of the features V3.0 has). Some of the enhancements of the MP version don't really matter for SP anyway, since they're mainly there to improve teamplay (something we don't have to worry about). Others, that might benefit single players as well, will be transfered once the save/restore issue has been fixed (which we're still working on).

If it takes too long to figure out the save/restore problem I may just release the current version already (sort of as a public beta test). That way the most impatient (and daring) players can have a go at it already.

hello

This is probably a silly idea, but here goes!

To workaround the savegame issues, if the game was played under the MP setting (Lan 1player) and respawn were added back in, could the "persistant world" be implemented?

That way if one dies, no problem. Need to log off? well fine, just that when one relogs back on it'll be as if one respawned?

Perhaps utterly unworkable, but thought i'd throw it into the public domain, hope thats ok.

rgds

LoK

I would be totally happy, if i could load saves from Evolution SP after restarting ArmA.

I hope that problem can be solved. sad_o.gif

I am currently rewriting significant chunks of the mission to optimize it further, to finally be able to restore after a restart.

Everything else in the mission works just fine, it's just that ArmA consistently crashes upon restores.

I could of course just trim it down considerably. Then the saves work. But since my goal was to reproduce the mission as closely as possible for SP that is not really an option...

If I can't figure it out this weekend (which is a long one where I live) then I will release it as-is.

You will have an option at game start to chose your initial rank, to overcome the limitations of not being able to restore a previous mission.

I agree with tekpc007. The most annoying thing about having to start from the beginning is the fact that you would have to regain your rank.

Can't wait to give it a try

Another mission affected by the ancient save game issue. I posted this on the bug tracker as No 2688. Please vote for it to get it to BIS's attention.

BI is looking into it right now.

That doesn't mean that there will be a fix, but at least there's hope...

If this issue can't be fixed, what I will do is generate a "rank code" which you will be given once you reach a new level, and which you can then enter at the beginning to promote you to that rank right away. (So, for example, - once you've been a general -and know the code- you can then hop there right away, but otherwise you will still have to start from scratch.)

BI is looking into it right now.

That doesn't mean that there will be a fix, but at least there's hope...

That is good to hear. But how do you know? You PM a dev or something? smile_o.gif

I'm hoping to see a fix for it soon. Will be good to finally play missions like these and mods with loads of scripting without this problem.

Edit: Answered.

Could you release it now with us being able to choose rank for now then wait for BI to fix the save issue? I want to play this so badly in SP.

The mission *will* be released this weekend, independent of whether there is a fix for the save issue. (Can't exactly say on which day though, since I'm still working on it.)

The mission *will* be released this weekend, independent of whether there is a fix for the save issue. (Can't exactly say on which day though, since I'm still working on it.)

This weekend as in tomorrow? That just made my day yay.gif

Woo. yay.gif

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Public Beta Version Released!</span>

http://kronzky.info/missions/arma/evolutionsp/

The mission now has an option to jump directly to a specific rank. It works as follows:

Whenever you reach a new rank you will be given an access code.

promotion.jpg

The one you see here won't work for you... wink_o.gif

Once you have a code you can enter it at the beginning of the mission to be "promoted" directly. (If you don't have a code, just hit Escape.)

password.jpg

Game saves and restores work fine as long as you stay in ArmA (you can even leave the mission, and later come back to it). But as soon as you shut down ArmA, you will probably get a CTD if you try to restore a previous game.

But hopefully with this new feature that won't be too much of a problem.

The mission is fully translated into German, French, Spanish & Russian (I'm still waiting for the Polish version).

There'll be more documentation later. I just wanted to get this out ASAP, so you can have some fun with it over the Sunday...

Hi,

Great job, I could only test it for about 1/2 h but so far it's looking awesome. I will soon hopefully be able to get into it more.

Thanks for the great work!

Kronzky for president yay.gif

Brilliant, gonna try this now wink_o.gif

EDIT: Honestly this needs respawn crazy_o.gif or being able to recruit AI from the start. Otherwise the whole thing is suicide whistle.gif

It's fine once you reach corporal, even though doing town objectives is still pretty hard, but as private it's hard to get promoted.

Thanks !   having played for a hour it needs some changed IMHO:

start with AI...  allow player as private to spawn maybe 2 to 5 guys and one of them able to fly a Heli or make one heli flyable as private at start... the shuttle is good but id like to be able to click the map on where to have him land and pick me up and for it to shuttle AI when I'm not on it via radio. The points thing is too high too IMHO.

If you could start out with 2 guys and fly one AH6 at start it would be perfect!  Thanks for your work , im by no means saying it no good ... it AWSOME!!! just needs some tweaking yet .

Getting the difficulty right for everybody is probably impossible...

But since I had a few of the earlier beta testers remark that the current points are "too easy", I guess hearing that it's "too hard" from some other people means it's right in the middle... wink_o.gif

The ranks in the single player version are based on your rating, not just on a straightforward target count (as that's not available in SP). So, keeping that in mind you should carefully choose your targets, to rack up the initial points the fastest.

During development of this I've recorded all the different ratings you get for the different targets, and have published them on the Wiki.

So, as you can see, while you only get 200 points for a simple soldier, you get 1000 points for killing an officer or a T72!

Plus, of course, a single side mission can easily rack up another 3000 points or more for you.

If you eliminate Paraiso by yourself, for example, you would already have over 40,000 points, just after one city. Of course, you would probably never do that by yourself, but even if you only rack up half the scores, that would mean that after 5 cities you're in the highest rank already.

What I am considering though is perhaps giving you a share of the points your AI units acquired. How big your share would be depend on the size of your team. So - if you're a 2-man team you'd get 50% of the points the AI accumulates, and if you're on a 10-man team you only get 10% of each guy's points.

what am i doing wrong when i get the error

Quote[/b] ]You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.

I haven't downloaded anything other than the EvolutionSP.zip

Quote[/b] ]You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.

The mission does not use any special addons, other than what comes with ArmA.

Which version of ArmA are you running (release & version number)?

And can you run the MP version of Evolution?

You should have the following standard addons be in your AddOns directory:

[*]A10

[*]Air

[*]Air3

[*]Buildings

[*]Characters

[*]Misc

[*]Sara

[*]Tracked

[*]Water

[*]Wheeled

[*]Wheeled3

The mission does not use any special addons, other than what comes with ArmA.

Which version of ArmA are you running (release & version number)?

And can you run the MP version of Evolution?

You should have the following standard addons be in your AddOns directory:

[*]A10

[*]Air

[*]Air3

[*]Buildings

[*]Characters

[*]Misc

[*]Sara

[*]Tracked

[*]Water

[*]Wheeled

[*]Wheeled3

yeah im missing the a10 one, that comes with 1.05 or 1.08 updates right? i'll go patch it now and see.

i might be the onlyone who's never tried Evolution MP either crazy_o.gif

A-10 still had ammo in beta 0.5, and radio call to save is accidentally named as suffle.

But.. no respawn? Is respawn even possible in SP like in MP?