Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC AEC islands released!

BUZZARD @ June 04 2007,19:10)]Btw, Snake Man, I just remembered that apparently in patch 1.08 AI will be able to handle multiple runways, do you think you'll be able to implement that in ArmA's AEC?  inlove.gif
Quote[/b] ]when ArmA v1.08 has been released I will add AI landable airbases into Malden and Everon as they were in the original BIS OFP islands.

icon_rolleyes.gif

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

I need more coffee...

You just made an old man very happy. I can't stop grinning. Thanks, Snakeman.

this will be cool for Arma CTI biggrin_o.gif

The more incredible is to flight over the place where airport ought to be in NE of Malden and to see Kolguiev mountain in the haze north !

Kolguiev as view from Malden

Fantastic to see but I have to add a vote to laying out the islands in a more realistic fashion.

The real islands may be miles apart but it would be a shame to miss an opportunity to create a great larger map thats more freindly for large sea and air action

Why not call them by their real names?

Everon = Krk (Croatia)

Malden = Lefkada (Greece)

Kolgujev = Tenerife (Canary Islands, Spain)

wink_o.gif

The size of the "real islands" is not represented in OFP or Arma, we know that this islands have counterparts in the real world. wink_o.gif

Fantastic to see but I have to add a vote to laying out the islands in a more realistic fashion.

The real islands may be miles apart but it would be a shame to miss an opportunity to create a great larger map thats more freindly for large sea and air action

I have to agree, the islands probably should be put at least beyond the maximum visual range ArmA is capable of.

Oh! And the more I think about it, Everon should be to the West and South of Kolgujev (when you take off in the A10 mission in the campaign you turn a northeasterly heading).  Malden should probably be southeast of both the other islands.

Even though this isn't real terrain, it would be nice to have it fit in with the story from Flashpoint.

EDIT:  I played around with where the islands were on the map and came up with a more aesthetically pleasing way to describe the positions I was talking about (though I don't know if I'm right or not; BIS probably had some map sketched out when they were designing the missions for OFP...):

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2922/betterlayoutln6.jpg

A did a little report on Krk, very beautifull island, I intend on visiting it some day.

Oh! And the more I think about it, Everon should be to the West and South of Kolgujev (when you take off in the A10 mission in the campaign you turn a northeasterly heading).  Malden should probably be southeast of both the other islands.

Even though this isn't real terrain, it would be nice to have it fit in with the story from Flashpoint.

EDIT:  I played around with where the islands were on the map and came up with a more aesthetically pleasing way to describe the positions I was talking about (though I don't know if I'm right or not; BIS probably had some map sketched out when they were designing the missions for OFP...):

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2922/betterlayoutln6.jpg

Malden is invaded from the South suggesting that Everon or Kolgujev is to the south of it. When the soviets leave Everon they retreat south suggesting that Kolgujev is to the south of Everon.

Technically if you follow all the campaign missions none of it makes sense because every island is attacked from the soviets from the South but when NATO attacks Kolgujev that too is from the South. Hence they should all be south of eachother... which isn't possible.

hehe noone is perfect biggrin_o.gif but i dont care really exact position of islands , its only matters we can have ém in the arma engine now thumbs-up.gif

We've been to SE of Everon (aka Krk-Baška) yesterday and this part is currently just a shadow of ex-OFP place :] we cleared a village in the valley and then found one remaining enemy soldier who decided to take shelter in "a gas station" smile_o.gif

Many of the trees are "floating" in the air in this version, so we'll skip further testing and return to Sahrani until there's a more complete version out.

Hows it running performance wise?

I have no problems running it on my very low end computer.

BUZZARD @ June 04 2007,21:36)]I hope that with ArmA you've come around that texture restriction that's plagued the original AEC Island?

No, these islands use now just one ground texture. Its up to the future how the tools, file formats, CWR and so on plays out if I release really correctly textured AEC.

Nevertheless it could be implemented but step after step.

You're missing the point, this is conversion of the AEC islands, not to just collect all released islands into one uhm terrain.

4 Mb??

Yes, this addon only incldes the WRP file and one small rvmat "text" file, so the size is very small.

nice, but I've found some bugs.

You think that LSD colored blackhawk is caused by PMC AEC addon?

alien plant, over-heighten harbour

Where can I find this alien plant and harbour?

Everon shouldn't be where Malden is?

The invasion of Malden begins from the west, and Guba's army invade first Everon so it's a little bit impractical invade from the other side.

I guess, there is an official map?

No, this is basic conversion of the AEC released to OFP, it has nothing to do with the CWC 1985 campaign. The official map can be found on our homepage in the OFP section.

Is there any more space on the map to add more water between the islands? I haven't played it but from the shots they look a bit close?

The original AEC was created to 25km map, now we could very easily drop in the islands more spaced out into 51km one.

I'm not sure if there are any missions to be converted for this island, I havent seen one so far... so if more people agree/request to space out the islands I could put them into 51km map on the next update.

So if you guys think we need more water/distance between the islands, let me know?

any taken any nice screens on how they look close up?

Some vegetation objects and forests are missing, as well as it uses only one green vegeation ground texture, otherwise they look like the original islands. Nothing has been changed to make them look different.

Why not call them by their real names?

Umm because the abel, eden, cain was kind of personalized name for the island/release which "only" the hardcore OFP folks know (who take a look at worlds/ dir etc).

I played around with where the islands were on the map and came up with a more aesthetically pleasing way to describe the positions I was talking about

Thanks for that image and suggestion, I have saved it and definitely keep it as reference if there are requests to change the layout of the islands.

Thanks goes to everyone with constructive feedback, much appreciated, I'm glad this release has given joy for you guys smile_o.gif

BIG THX for converting AEC to ArmA. notworthy.gif I think those islands have a much better "layout" than Sahrani does... (but on the other side they dont look as good icon_rolleyes.gif )

Btw: "Everon is the most eastern island within this group" Quote from Col. Blake - Intro of 1985 CWC campaign biggrin_o.gif

My little suggestion, is to make the distances between the islands bigger. That would make the usage of cruisers and other battleships more important and easier. (After seeing Gnats ships http://members.iinet.net.au/~nrspence/P1.html , i think ships will improve gameplay a lot)

after some short testing i found out that i dont see any runway textures its only green grass :P any chance you can add runway textures in your next update? smile_o.gif

i love these islands ,never played em in the original ofp, will you be adding all original forests if you update, like the one near the airport on everon and in the valley by the castle?

BIG THX for converting AEC to ArmA.  notworthy.gif I think those islands have a much better "layout" than Sahrani does... (but on the other side they dont look as good  icon_rolleyes.gif )

Btw: "Everon is the most eastern island within this group" Quote from Col. Blake - Intro of 1985 CWC campaign  biggrin_o.gif

My little suggestion, is to make the distances between the islands bigger. That would make the usage of cruisers and other battleships more important and easier. (After seeing Gnats ships http://members.iinet.net.au/~nrspence/P1.html , i think ships will improve gameplay a lot)

I still think the original OFP islands had more character than Sahrani, it was just something about the way things looked, you could see the story in the terrain (Kolgujev's destroyed buildings, Everon's lush green and Malden's sandy grassland all gave them unique characters).

Everon is the Easternmost?  OK, that makes my map useless for accuracy's sake.  After I made it I just thought that BIS put the islands in like a hawaii-like chain, with Kolgujev in the east, Malden in the West and Everon stuck in the middle.

I seem to remember the attack point that NATO chose to retake Everon from was the airport in the North.  So would that put Malden northwest of Everon?  But they left Everon initially from the south?!  So that moves Malden just West of Everon.  And then (since Everon is easternmost) Kolgujev is either Northwest or southwest of that?  All this conflicting data just makes all the placements seem incorrect... Maybe the islands are on very fast tectonic plates and change positions regularly  tounge2.gif

Yeah nice project I just love malden. inlove.gif

But i think it would be better to do one island after another and then put them toghetter.

Now you have 3 Islands with lots of bug's, flying trees and stuff like that.

So better do 1 island after another 100% instead of 3 same time 20%

Sorry just what i think. whistle.gif

But anyway I JUST LOVE IT!!

Another idea would be to make a "desert version" of AEC map, if trees float in the air... a desert version would dispense with trees etc and would be even better on the framerate! inlove.gif

BUZZARD @ June 08 2007,10:14)]Another idea would be to make a "desert version" of AEC map, if trees float in the air... a desert version would dispense with trees etc and would be even better on the framerate! inlove.gif

definitely inlove.gif

hehe damn thats a new idea biggrin_o.gif would bee nice with some small lakes like oasis'es around here and there so camels and people candrink water around the island. smile_o.gif

BUZZARD @ June 08 2007,11:14)]Another idea would be to make a "desert version" of AEC map, if trees float in the air... a desert version would dispense with trees etc and would be even better on the framerate! inlove.gif

Or an arctic/winter version inlove.gif