Sign in to follow this  
kronzky

Dynamic Mine Field

It looks like the problem is caused by a missing respawn option in the description.ext (or an altogether missing description.ext).

No idea why ArmA crashes without that defined though (it should just default to "no respawn").

But it seems that when certain triggers or scripts are active, and respawn is undefined, that a player death will cause a CTD.

I've now added a MP-compatible demo mission to the zip file to demonstrate the proper setup, and to make testing a bit easier.

Hi, could be a good idea to allow the G.I. (General Infantry) to

deactivate the mines one by one once the mines presence be

detected by the squad; all the soldiers receive classes of how to

deactivate basic and/or common mines classes what have a fuse

as starter. Just reducing the distance at which the soldier could

detect the mine and deactivate it. I haven't try this mines, but if

this haven't been added already, i think that may be a good idea

that could also add some more possibilites to MP if they work well

in MP. Let's C ya

Just reducing the distance at which the soldier could

detect the mine and deactivate it.

yup it could also be nice to have a closer radius to defuse each mines.

We are able to defuse several mines at incredible distance atm, would be nice to see this changed btw.

The radius of the mines activation by players and ais can be changed. I rader use 0.5 as default. smile_o.gif

Its also incredible that this script does not lag at all smile_o.gif

ps: i tryed to use this feature in bridges and the mines do not stay on the bridge road. They go under the bridge in the ground or in water. Is there a way to solve this issue?

Hi, 0.5m could be a good or adecuate deactivation radious for the

Special Forces and engineers, 0.4 or 0.5m, to reflect they're more

intensive trained in this field; 0.15m or 0.30m will be a good radious

in my opinion for make the mine deactivation icon, or the message

in the actions menu, spawn; so the basic infantry should walk more

carefull if they don't want to blow up.

Also add various mines formations, to surround a possition, to cover

some wall or things like that; but this last supose isn't really needed

because the ArmA units fear/can't climb a 50cm "wall". Let's C ya

Unfortunately, the defusing parameters are out of my control, as that is done by the ArmA engine. And if I'd try to totally take that over it might not be so lag-free anymore... ;)

The activation radius OTOH can be controlled by the "range:" parameter.

As far as placement of mines on bridges is concerned - I'm not too optimistic that that will be possible. (I'm aware that an engineer can do it manually, but if you place mines via the editor they will drop through as well.) I'm still looking into that though.

But while working on this issue I noticed that the script actually simulates water mines quite well. You should give them a slightly lower z-position to make it look more realistic, but once you set the trigger class to Ship, you got some nice "floating" mines.

watermine2.jpg

watermine.jpg

Nice script, I have two suggestions though:

- Have an option for signs along the side of the mine field, with an interval setting (if you have a huge minefield you won't notice the signs at the corners tounge2.gif)

- Include a warning in the readme about placing several 200x40 minefields with standard density etc... for us crazy mission makers

Hello

Splendid stuff!

quick question, do the markers appear around the entire border of the field or just facing one particular direction?

ie. Key !=marker *=mine Friendly to Left NME to right

!!!!!!!

!***!

!***!

!***!

!!!!!!!

or do the signs only appear along a set axis so that the forces that laid the mine can have the signage along their side whilst opfor has no marking on their side ie:

!***

!***

!***

Id like the option of folk having to hunt for possible wrong way facing signage (perhaps hidden by a tree line etc)

But Im nasty like that.

Rgds

LoK

The signs are aligned with the marker orientation (i.e. if the marker angle in 0 the signs will face N/S, if the marker angle is 90 the signs will face E/W, etc.). So that gives you some control over the direction the signs are facing.

If you need more signs than the default ones at the corners, or more specific orientation, I would suggest to leave out the automatic signs altogether, and to just place them manually via the editor.

It is probably easier than having to deal with all kinds of possible parameter values in order to place them automatically.

Quote[/b] ]If you need more signs than the default ones at the corners, or more specific orientation, I would suggest to leave out the automatic signs altogether, and to just place them manually via the editor.

Roger wilco

Beautiful script but one problem I'm having is large numbers of mines have a severe impact on my fps (fine 3 sec, freeze 3 sec, ect). I assume this is because the script checks for targets around each mine. I was wondering if it would be possible to check for mines around targets instead (there tends to be less people than mines) or maybe a addition to the script that checks to see the mine to target ration and checks around the lesser.

I'm totally clueless about scripting so if what i said made no sense feel free to mock me mercillesly.

feel free to mock me mercillesly.

You stink of second hand beetle excrement!

tounge2.gif

U gave me permission!

Just tried out his fantastic script, but I cannot get it assigned to the mine object.

I tried Mine and MineE but it doesn't work.

Anything else I tried, H, Body etc works fine.

AmI using the wrong name for the mine?

You don't assign the script to a mine - the mines are created automatically.

You first create a rectangular marker (to designate the area to be filled with mines), and then you call the script from *anywhere*: a trigger, a game logic, the player's init line. Doesn't matter. It just has to be initiated somewhere. This script will then create the mines within the marker area and assign triggers to them.

Just check out the included demo mission (and of course the readme), and it'll be pretty obvious.

You don't assign the script to a mine - the mines are created automatically.

You first create a rectangular marker (to designate the area to be filled with mines), and then you call the script from *anywhere*: a trigger, a game logic, the player's init line. Doesn't matter. It just has to be initiated somewhere. This script will then create the mines within the marker area and assign triggers to them.

Just check out the included demo mission (and of course the readme), and it'll be pretty obvious.

This sounds very interesting smile_o.gif to my shame although I downloaded it I only fleetingly played with it.

@Kronzky - do you reckon it'd be possible to have the marker's position be set ingame (say either from the map, or just an offset from the player's position) and have the minefield populated afterward? That way a minelayer/engineer could identify a bottleneck and quickly plug it.

Worked it out now thanks.

Now gonna try work out how to have AI Engineers defuse mines. crazy_o.gif

@Kronzky - do you reckon it'd be possible to have the marker's position be set ingame (say either from the map, or just an offset from the player's position) and have the minefield populated afterward? That way a minelayer/engineer could identify a bottleneck and quickly plug it.

That's no problem at all - just look into setMarkerPos and the related commands, and I'm sure you'll find a way.

You could even create a new marker dynamically during the game, and then run the mine script on it, or you could just move an existing one to the desired position, and the start the script. The script doesn't care.

As I said, the script can be initialized from anywhere - a trigger, a script, even a waypoint, so you can get pretty creative...

also when a mine is activated the selected units can be affected..

imagine we are crossing a mine field.. if we set of one mine all enemy can be aware of our presence.

you must add some codes to the mine script. wink_o.gif

imagine we are crossing a mine field.. if we set of one mine all enemy can be aware of our presence.

Can be done already.

Just look at the global variables KRON_MF_Tot or KRON_MF_[areaname] (described in the readme).

Can be done already.

Just look at the global variables KRON_MF_Tot or KRON_MF_[areaname] (described in the readme).

you mean that the enemys will detect you if u lose your legs in the mines?

good

That's no problem at all - just look into setMarkerPos and the related commands, and I'm sure you'll find a way.

You could even create a new marker dynamically during the game, and then run the mine script on it, or you could just move an existing one to the desired position, and the start the script. The script doesn't care.

As I said, the script can be initialized from anywhere - a trigger, a script, even a waypoint, so you can get pretty creative...

I'm confused on how a rectangle marker is laid out while in the game. Is that possible or would you need to do something like lay out 4 markers to define the boundaries and create the rectangle in a script. Or just use a static size rectangle marker placed at the in game markers location?

Thanks,

Raptor-6

I'm confused on how a rectangle marker is laid out while in the game. Is that possible or would you need to do something like lay out 4 markers to define the boundaries and create the rectangle in a script. Or just use a static size rectangle marker placed at the in game markers location?

You can create markers dynamically (while the game is running).

Just read through the relevant articles for marker manipulation (esp. createMarker), and experiment around a bit.

Then, once the marker has been created via e.g. <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_marker = createMarker ["MineMarker1", position player] run the script on it: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">nul=["MineMarker1"] execVM "minefield.sqf"

You can create markers dynamically (while the game is running).

Just read through the relevant articles for marker manipulation (esp. createMarker), and experiment around a bit.

Then, once the marker has been created via e.g. <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_marker = createMarker ["MineMarker1", position player]

run the script on it: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">nul=["MineMarker1"] execVM "minefield.sqf"

sounds great. I understand now. Thanks for the help and the work your doing with these kinds of scripts. They are all awesome!!

great script m8

is it possible for you to include some other types of mines into it?