Sign in to follow this  
kronzky

Portable Target Range

Since my shooting sucks, and I couldn't find a target range with the features I needed, I created a dynamic one that you can set up anywhere you want.

It creates user-definable targets at predefined distances, with distance markers at the sidelines:

wide.jpg

Via the action menu you can then choose at which distance the targets should appear.

switchlo.gif

Since the range basically moves along with you, it can be positioned on any terrain, so you can test for example bullet drop/rise.

terrain.jpg

Any infantry units that are defined as targets will automatically assume different stances.

stance.jpg

• Any target that is killed will be automatically re-created.

• There is unlimited ammo available, making even reloading unneccessary.

• The distance reached by the projectile is displayed after each shot

• There is a "bullet cam" and slow-mo option

Available at my site.

Available at my site.

Is there a link for the demo mission?  I was only able to find a link for the scripts.  Thanks.

<edit>nm, I figured out that it had to be opened in the editor.</edit>

First update already:

• The script now also comes with a "bullet cam" option (if you really want to know where that shot went)

• The distance reached by the projectile is now displayed after each shot

(This one is very useful when practicing grenade shooting/throwing, for example)

What a great job Kronzky! Thanks much, it's a great tool for training smile_o.gif

EDIT: i have recurent CTD when i hit the second human target from left (kneeling RACS soldier) from any distances, either with bullets or nades.

Hi... i would use some contents in my own training map (no release, just for our clan).

Do you have problems with it, when i "steal" some features from your map?

You cant shoot for nuts but you can make such a useful set up.

The world is so unfair! icon_rolleyes.gifwhistle.gif

Thanks for the mission. It'll definitely come in handy.

Quote[/b] ]i have recurent CTD when i hit the second human target from left (kneeling RACS soldier) from any distances, either with bullets or nades.

That's very strange, and something that I've never seen before.

Does anybody else have this issue?

Which version of ArmA do you have? I wonder if there's a death animation missing for kneeling soldiers (I'm running 1.07).

(In the meantime you can change the used stances yourself. Just search for the array "_stances" in the script, and enter only the positions you want.)

Quote[/b] ]Do you have problems with it, when i "steal" some features from your map?

Of course not!

Go ahead and use it any way you see fit!

Now - to help all of us sucky shooters, perhaps somebody could create some reference shots with aimpoints at different distances.

Then we could post it them all on the Wiki, and everybody wins...

Something like this perhaps:

smpl150.jpg

I tried playing it, it promted "player not found" ?..

Any help please?

Quote[/b] ]I tried playing it, it promted "player not found" ?..

Did you copy all of the mission files (including their folder name) into your mission folder (as per the readme)?

Did you open the mission in the editor?

Was there a player visible?

Did it have the following line in its init field: nil=[] execVM "targetrange.sqf"?

But perhaps you should just PM me with the details, if you still have problems.

I also have the crash when hitting the 2nd standing soldier. I try to reproduce it to see if it's consistent. I'm using the 1.06 US version and copied all files to the mission folder.

Edit:

I get consistent crashes when (or after) the 2nd human target is hit. I can hit any number of the red targets, but hitting the 2nd human (or the 3rd) causes a crash. When hitting a human target, I don't see a death animation - the target simply disappears.

The crash happens when the target is down (humans seem to take 2 shots to go down), but is still on the screen. The unit's stance (standing/kneeling/prone) doesn't seem to matter.

Quote[/b] ]I tried playing it, it promted "player not found" ?..

Did you copy all of the mission files (including their folder name) into your mission folder (as per the readme)?

Did you open the mission in the editor?

Was there a player visible?

Did it have the following line in its init field: nil=[] execVM "targetrange.sqf"?

But perhaps you should just PM me with the details, if you still have problems.

I didn't Open it in the editor, I ran it straight through the side missions section.

I extracted everything in the missions folder.

It didn't prompt that sqs line either.

I'll try it again later on for ya.

I also have the crash when hitting the 2nd standing soldier. I try to reproduce it to see if it's consistent. I'm using the 1.06 US version and copied all files to the mission folder.

Edit:

I get consistent crashes when (or after) the 2nd human target is hit. I can hit any number of the red targets, but hitting the 2nd human (or the 3rd) causes a crash. When hitting a human target, I don't see a death animation - the target simply disappears.

The crash happens when the target is down (humans seem to take 2 shots to go down), but is still on the screen. The unit's stance (standing/kneeling/prone) doesn't seem to matter.

Same here, playing in 1.05 DVD version, not tried the 1.07 yet

I have finally been able to reinstall 1.05 beside my 1.07 version, and I can now reproduce the crash.

No idea yet why it happens (ArmA also doesn't seem to create a report file in this incident), but at least I can see what happens on my own machine, and then try to track it down.

But perhaps the easier solution would be to upgrade to 1.07 (since it clearly seems to be version-related)?

Also, if your system does create an arma.RPT file (would be in your main game folder) with a log of this incident, perhaps you should PM it to me.

Update: It seem to not really matter who you kill - after a unit is recreated 3 or 4 times the game will crash. So even if you kill only the standing guy a few times it will still crash. (Any non-AI object - like the tank or the pop-up target - doesn't seem to be affected by this issue though. You can destroy them as often as you want.)

Since there is no difference inside my script as to what happens after x number of kills, and since the problem doesn't seem to happen with the latest version, it pretty much looks like a weird internal ArmA issue, so I would suggest updating to 1.07.

If anybody has this issue with the latest version, please contact me, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to troubleshoot issues with an outdated version.

<span style='color:red'>Update II</span>: Looks like I found the culprit after all. The older versions of ArmA seemed to have a problem with the new syntax variation of createUnit. Once I rewrote the script to only use the "old-fashioned" version I couldn't get it to crash anymore.

Give it a try: V1.3.2.

thnaks much fpr your efforts Kronzky, the problem of the 1.07 is that most server are still in 1.05 and then are not compatible with newer version.

cheers,

Jan

I have added some (optional) ballistics information to the script, as well as the capability to select any weapon directly via a dialog window.

After each shot you will get information about the bullet speed and the point of impact, and if you turn on the extended ballistics information there will be a chart generated that contains the flight height of the bullet at different distances. This data can be exported and then formatted in a spreadsheet.

ballistics_merge.gif

To achieve proper, reproducible results your weapons elevation (the aiming angle) is constantly displayed if in "ballistics" mode (see next picture).

Since bullets occasionally bounce off the ground the ballistics chart might contain information about that secondary trajectory as well, but it'll be pretty obvious when this happens and can then just be discarded.

The new weapons menu allows you to immediately select any personal weapon (east or west) without having to go into the editor and selecting a different unit type or adding a specific weapon type.

wepsel.jpg

I´ll have fun testing this, when i`m back home this evening.

My M203 skills could use some training. smile_o.gif

THis is great, has helped me loads on zeeroing in myself on various distances, I have a couple of suggestions though.

Further Target distance, maybe after 500m go up in intervals of 100m for those very long shots (1kmish)

Add moving targets running at various speed.

You can set any distance you want.

Just call it with nul=[mindist,maxdist,stepsize] execVM ...

So, for you example that would be [500,1000,100].

Check the documentation at the top of targetrange.sqf, and it'll tell you about all the options.

Very very useful. Maybe reloading should stay, just for the sake of realism. Keep up the good work.

Wow really cool Kronzky! You do some really amazing scripting work, props to you mate!

I played with it around, and it really is a great training tool! Increased my GL skills by 1000% wink_o.gif

For maximum fun i recommend the javelin in bulletcam-mode. biggrin_o.gif