Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

MV-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:DarkRed'>MV-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor</span></span>

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:DarkBlue'>Proof of Concept</span></span>

MV-22_1.jpg

Using Sole/Wipmans OFP V-22 model as a base I invested some hours into finding a solution to the age old problem of getting it to work in a BIS game smile_o.gif

Looks like ArmA saves the day again  notworthy.gif

Experimenting with the Config, Animations and Model selections I was able to get the engine pods and blades to rotate appropraite for forward movement.

Video Proof - 8MB

While its not perfect;

- Reverse speed results in forward Tilt

- Still a very slight nose-down attitude in forward flight

- It primarily has helocopter handling (but barely noticable)

... tons left to play with in the Config, it is still VERY usable and has great potential as a community addon ..... with a bunch more work to make it "ArmA worthy" biggrin_o.gif

Seeing Multi-Turrets are now possible, I'd ideally like to make a mini-gunship out of this. Approx. 5 MGs/Miniguns, 2 each side and one on the tail-board ..... now wouldn't that be awsome in MP  yay.gif

stunning work mate! looking very great and sounds good so far! thumbs up!

fantastic work! how do u initiate the rotor movement via the action menu or just by pulling back and slowing the speed?

bootneckofficer

Probably the latter. If you look at the harrier autohover thing, you can see that even when it's turned on, once you pass a certian speed the nozzles go back up.

Would also like to see it some form of camo, if that's possible...

...I still drool about all those "artist's concept" pics of the Osprey in action.

very nice...

would I be right in assuming that trying to land in forward flight mode results in instant death?

Guest RKSL-Rock
very nice...

would I be right in assuming that trying to land in forward flight mode results in instant death?

If Gnats used the animation source method of controlling the animations you wont be able to land in "forward flight mode". The rotors will change angle in relation to the speed you travel at.

weeee... smile_o.gif

i think when the rotor spins lower we have the impression the rotor stops or move slower.. like the case we see but we normally in real life we see some blur movement beetwin the rotor shovels.

Could this be added?

when rotor shovels move it looks like the rotor dont move at all.. or move very slow.

I understand the intension of this visual effect but i think its kinda fake.. confused_o.gif

It's a WIP. He probably just didn't configure the blur textures yet. He wanted to show the tilt rotor.

Guest RKSL-Rock
i think when the rotor spins lower we have the impression the rotor stops or move slower.. like the case we see but we normally in real life we see some blur movement beetwin the rotor shovels.

Could this be added?

when rotor shovels move it looks like the rotor dont move at all.. or move very slow.

I understand the intension of this visual effect but i think its kinda fake..  confused_o.gif

Its a 'flaw' in the game engine when you record the video. The blades seem to slow almost ot a stand still. If you were to see it actually ingame they would appear perfectly normal. It can be easily fixed by using blur textures. instead of the fully modelled blades.

Thanks guys biggrin_o.gif

As for the rotor blur, per bravo 6's comment, that was filmed on my old 2.4Ghz 9600XT PC, at best I get 15-25 fps, hence it looks like the blades are not moving much.

Well, I have just upgraded to my new <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Super PC</span>  biggrin_o.gif  (with 8800GTS fog f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck  crazy_o.gif  ) (and my first post with it smile_o.gif ) and I can tell you that there is very little need for the "blur" texture. You can see the blade spinning very nicely.

But .... that doesn't mean I can't add it, it is a standard chopper model.

@Messiah

Yep, no you can't land at speed, same as every other BIS chopper, it hates ground contact and speed sad_o.gif

@bootneckofficer

No menu action required, as Rock said, its a speed linked animation

........ back to my *oh my god, look what I've been missing in ArmA with a crappy PC*  tounge2.gif

Wouldn't it be better to code it using the harrier code then?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Wouldn't it be better to code it using the harrier code then?

Not really, you wouldnt be able to take off vertically if you used the Harrier as a base class.

Gnat @ April 21 2007,12:58)]Thanks guys biggrin_o.gif

As for the rotor blur, per bravo 6's comment, that was filmed on my old 2.4Ghz 9600XT PC, at best I get 15-25 fps, hence it looks like the blades are not moving much.

Well, I have just upgraded to my new <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Super PC</span> biggrin_o.gif (with 8800GTS fog f*ck f*ck f*ck f*ck crazy_o.gif ) (and my first post with it smile_o.gif ) and I can tell you that there is very little need for the "blur" texture. You can see the blade spinning very nicely.

But .... that doesn't mean I can't add it, it is a standard chopper model.

........ back to my *oh my god, look what I've been missing in ArmA with a crappy PC* tounge2.gif

can you please make a small video with the new pc so we can see the difference on the rotor blades? merci smile_o.gif

holy smokes! that's a** kicking!

Let's hope someone will continue work on tiltrotors till the very first flight made by BIS community smile_o.gif

Gnat, you did a great job! wow_o.gifnotworthy.gifthumbs-up.gif

....wwwwWWWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

NICE!

First the Hind, now this? Arent we happy....

very nice. What variant will you be doing... Im not too sure if they have any yet... Still in testing isnt it? Problems with overcoming problems with rotor's like that arent they?

great job bro!

5 guns! yikes...tht's new

btw, i thought the V-22 is well is supposed to have a chin turret ignore the top part but check out the below comments..

here's a linkV-22 Weapons

hope it helps and i so hope i'm wrong coz i'd love to be blazing away on a gat with 7.62mm shells spraying away cutting some SLAgs,

regards, greg