Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

Will you still play ArmA?

you got a point there I forgot to mention, if BIS don't fix the many problems with arma, the competetion will be fierce if game2 runs smoothly, my arma runs pretty smooth but that almsot makes you feel like a loner in here (not ment as an offense, I really feel with you guys)

Could as well be prerendered(much like many of the Game2 screenshots look like).

Uhh.. what? icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll make that decision, when there are more claims than one rendered image. OFP2 can very well become a good game, but it still lacks BiS. Codemaster hired someone to create a sequal, a broader game for various platforms. They are not in the same way bound by realism dogmas like BiS, they'll can cater to a wider audience and compromize realism/arcade easier.

If ArmA becomes a relative succes, it might not have as long a lifespan as OFP. BIS had to do something to keep the customers' focus on their qualities, before Codemaster's larger wallet took the lead. With ArmA BiS has again proven that they make open games, with dedicated support and a willingness to listen to the community.

Codemaster has the wallet, BiS it's reputation and record, it's going to be interesting to see OFP2, Game2 and ArmA unfold.

Could as well be prerendered(much like many of the Game2 screenshots look like).

Uhh.. what?  icon_rolleyes.gif

The early game2 shots look like they just rendered them in a 3d program. Look like is the important factor.

This could also be a prerendered screenshot as there's only one. Or they could have just so little content that they only put this one out.

guerilla @ April 19 2007,22:31)]All i heard is that Enemy in Sight was canceled, well anyway. As for OFP2 vs ArmA, i think it's gonna be a hard time for ArmA, even doh it isn't really a competion, as ArmA is allrdy 5 months old. What i see is that BIS is somehow allwys to late, prolly because of their little amount of employes, They released ArmA while i had allrdy a DX10 GFX, a Duo Core and a SLI Board, none of those technologies are supported. Same goes for OFP Elite. It came out for the first X-Box, while they just started to sell the new 360 X-Box.

Please don't forget what Codemasters did for OFP, the final product was really influenced, as i remember, it wasn't made for online gaming till CM told BIS to do it.

I'm still disapointed about ArmA. I'm more the CTF player and in this genre, ArmA is a real disapointed, i'm still fighting with mouse lag, LOD errors, texture delays, low fps, robotic anim's and seeing no big change since 5 months i doubt any further success and seeing the amount of Online Gamers just confirms my thoughts.

I don't even know what Game 2 is gonna be, RPG has nothink to do with FPS, so it's prolly gonna be a hybrid in between, is that what i wanna have ? So i'm happy to see CM trying to bring somethink new also in the same OFP 1 Style.

Amen to that.

BTW, OFP2 "will use a new FPS variant of Neon technology, the studio’s proprietary middleware. " witch I think is the same engine used in Colin Mcree Dirt (not sure here), if thats the case we´ll see plenty of the engine highlights in some months.

That's shitty, since they didn't actually OFP, it's going to be something completely new... with the typical flow of things, my bet's that it turns into another washed-up arcade style game like BF2.

Makes me mad.

I've been playing OFP for years since it's the only realistic game out there. ArmA comes out (HUGE improvement over OFP) and now it'll be outdated by what will most likely be an arcade game attempting to keep it's 13 year old kiddy fan base.

Uhh.. what? icon_rolleyes.gif

The early game2 shots look like they just rendered them in a 3d program. Look like is the important factor.

This could also be a prerendered screenshot as there's only one. Or they could have just so little content that they only put this one out.

As you said look like is the important factor, so why your Game 2 "renders" have such amount of bugs and unfinished stuff... (missing shadows, weird proportions of soldiers,...) And in addition we know that there was playable version of Game 2 on E3 2005 (from where are all Game 2 screens).

i wish them all the best, i like good games, and therefore i hope every game is a triple A title.

but i don't yet believe that OFP2 will really compete with BIS offerings because as far as i can tell Codies have no pedigree at hardcore infantry simulations.

Well...competition is allways healthy! xmas_o.gif

If "ArmA: What Ever" does`t become playable and optimized soon (as it is not now) it will die!...constant sttrugle for survival as a cripple with each and every one of patch wont do good.

Soldner was a very very good example...of how unfinished product get's wiped out of theatre stage. Even rewamped version of it didn`t do any good to game, simple as it is...players tasted bitter and created self a bad picture!. But rewamped version is still shitty couse of engine...and I say it's same as ArmA: What Ever.

CM`s Flashpoint 2 can only be an "open your eyes BIS" sign and it can only do good. As you all know it's not the same when you run a race alone or there is someone next to you to compite with.

I whish to CM to finish their game and BIS to improve ArmA and only players can get honey out of that race wink_o.gif

I mean c'mon huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]# nVidia 6800 or better, with at least 256 MB of onboard RAM.

# ATI X800 or better with at least 256 MB of onboard RAM

# real life

# at least nVidia 7900GT or better, with at least 256 MB of onboard RAM.

# at least ATI X1900 or better with at least 256 MB of onboard RAM

If Game2 is to compare to Flashpoint 2 in 2008 then what the hell is with ArmA`s first birhtday?.

Quote[/b] ]If "ArmA: What Ever" does`t become playable and optimized soon (as it is not now) it will die!...

Hi Radnik! smile_o.gif

well for me ArmA runs pretty much okay. I dont have many problems as it seems.

if ofp2 will have the same editor as ofp1 and if i can do what i want on a map (take a car, a tank etc, i just the want the same freedom), my reply is : yes; i won't play to Arma.

because Arma needs a Nasa computer to work at normal settings biggrin_o.gif and i don't work at the Nasa tounge2.gif . and it needs too much patches crazy_o.gif

but i support the BIS team, because they made a amazing job, even with a limited team.

and finally ofp2 is always a project, and personally i wait for UT2007 biggrin_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

And what kind of PC do you think you will need to run this so called Operation Flashpoint 2 in 2008?

If by 2008 you dont have a PC capable of running Arma in normal settings you will be screwed anyway.

I have, like and will play Arma for a long time smile_o.gif .

ArmA will become playable. Its getting better. We can actually play coops now, unlike 1.0. Think ArmA 1.96. Its going to keep getting better, as long as BIS decides to release the tools. Soon we'll have 10000+ addons, 3000+ maps like OFP. Codemasters will have to offer a lot in order to get me to walk away from this.

What comes to mind -

How the heck can it be that BIS would plan on releasing Game2 in say one year, when Arma is not even really shelf worthy, nor truly finished, no tools released for addon makers?

Why ask this? Simple, say 6 months from now Arma finally gets all planed out right, the game is *relatively* bug free, the addon tools are out, and big addons,mods, and missions are in the works.

Ok, so, in another 6 months, Game2 is released, and... all this trouble of people working on big addons, mods, and missions is gone, Arma is *officially* relplaced by Game2, and the whole cycle repeats...

Ofp had to be around for a very long time before real high quality user created addons,mods, and missions came to be finished - I really dont understand the logic in making Arma at ALL if Ofp2 is going to come in 1 year later and render all the projects in the making for Arma useless...

Egghhh - dont even want to think about this sh*#, Im working on a mission that will probably take another 3 - 6 months for Arma, to what? See at my missions release point Game2 come out and everyone leaves Arma -

I think Bis should focus on Arma more, not just jumping to a new game platform so quickly, when considering how much influence user made stuff is on this current platform, if there isnt enough (plenty) of time for user made additions of great quality to come to light in Arma before the next platform is released, why bother allowing us to edit Arma?..............................................

Even worse, ive heard rumor that Game2 will not support the "standardized" scripting format of Ofp/Arma, and only the new script format will accepted, which means even if a large scale mission like mine thats been ported over from Ofp to Arma was desired to be ported to Game2, it wont ever happen...

Sorry to sound negative, I guess if Game2 comes in a year, all I can hope for is that Arma still survives it for another 5 years, or else I think alot of peoples time that is currently being spent on large scale applications for Arma will not amount to nearly what was hoped for, like me...

# real life

I disagree with those specs. I have an x850 and it works fine for me. I can even run it with some settings on high and a 4000 meter view distance.

I`ll play the crap outta ArmA for as long as possible, then switch to the next best mil combat onfoot experience. If none comes along, then I`ll keep playing ArmA. Especially if we get some awesome mod missions.

# real life

I disagree with those specs.  I have an x850 and it works fine for me.  I can even run it with some settings on high and a 4000 meter view distance.

And I have to second that. Playing really good with an ATI AIW X800-XT.

My 7600gt plays it better than my 8800gts, the U.S. demo is a different story though

They have some big shoes to fill and it's codemasters so I don't have very much faith. That said, I'd love to see some competition in this genre, I think it would drive innovation.

Quote[/b] ]And what kind of PC do you think you will need to run this so called Operation Flashpoint 2 in 2008?

yeah, i know, but i don't want to change some parts of my pc only ffor Arma. i prefer to make that for finished games that i can enjoy just after the purchase.

i don't spend a lot of money in games(i'm not an hardcore gamer), so when i buy one, it's like an investment for a long time.

What comes to mind -

How the heck can it be that BIS would plan on releasing Game2 in say one year, when Arma is not even really shelf worthy, nor truly finished, no tools released for addon makers?

Why ask this? Simple, say 6 months from now Arma finally gets all planed out right, the game is *relatively* bug free, the addon tools are out, and big addons,mods, and missions are in the works.

Ok, so, in another 6 months, Game2 is released, and... all this trouble of people working on big addons, mods, and missions is gone, Arma is *officially* relplaced by Game2, and the whole cycle repeats...

Ofp had to be around for a very long time before real high quality user created addons,mods, and missions came to be finished - I really dont understand the logic in making Arma at ALL if Ofp2 is going to come in 1 year later and render all the projects in the making for Arma useless...

Egghhh - dont even want to think about this sh*#, Im working on a mission that will probably take another 3 - 6 months for Arma, to what? See at my missions release point Game2 come out and everyone leaves Arma -

I think Bis should focus on Arma more, not just jumping to a new game platform so quickly, when considering how much influence user made stuff is on this current platform, if there isnt enough (plenty) of time for user made additions of great quality to come to light in Arma before the next platform is released, why bother allowing us to edit Arma?..............................................

Even worse, ive heard rumor that Game2 will not support the "standardized" scripting format of Ofp/Arma, and only the new script format will accepted, which means even if a large scale mission like mine thats been ported over from Ofp to Arma was desired to be ported to Game2, it wont ever happen...

Sorry to sound negative, I guess if Game2 comes in a year, all I can hope for is that Arma still survives it for another 5 years, or else I think alot of peoples time that is currently being spent on large scale applications for Arma will not amount to nearly what was hoped for, like me...

Your post doesn't seem to make sense, did you miss the fact that OFP2 is made completely independantly of BIS and there's nothing they can do about when or if it's released? Codemasters own the rights to the name and they no longer work with BIS, that's why Armed Assault is called Armed Assault. This thread is about Codemasters' OFP2.

There's no release date set for Game2 nor OFP2. Expected, projected, estimated, planned or whatever dates don't count, they're almost always way off:

ArmA was first estimated to be released Q4/2005 (actual release Q4/2006 but only in Czech and German, English was Q1/2007):

http://web.archive.org/web....ttp

The Next-gen Game aka Game2 (back then, aka ofp2) was first (june '03) expected late 2004:

Then by december '04 it was 2006:

Then august '05, late 2006. Not anymore as OFP2:

And now it's expected 2008. See a pattern? I estimate that it will be expected 2009 by late 2008 but not released until late 2010. English version in 2011 smile_o.gif

You've heard a rumor that Game2 will not support the same scripting format from who? Sounds like nothing but a random speculation.

What comes to mind -

It might be too soon to worry about that. We haven't seen much new information on Game 2 and everyone's probably sceptical that it will actually come out in 2008. They originally said that Armed Assault would have a release date in July 2006 or something like that. Well, I live in the US and it still hasn't been released here (although it's only a matter of days until May comes around). In fact, since ArmA's release was delayed, it would be prudent to push Game 2's release date back as well to allow an appropriate interval between the games because BIS doesn't want people skipping over ArmA for Game 2 either.

Game 2 sounded very ambitious. If anything, I'd expect it to experience even longer delays than Armed Assault did. And I'm sure that BIS is happy to let us all have plenty of time to chow down on ArmA so that they will have more time to quietly work on Game 2.

We wont see game 2 at least until 2010... there's no way they'll finish earlier and thats fine with me.

Anyways, with all this new eye candy + whatnot... Will you still play ArmA?

I don't play it now! Only time will tell whether this is a better successor to OFP than ArmA has been; coming from different developers at least means I won't be as disappointed as I was with ArmA. confused_o.gif

Other than that (or Enemy in Sight if that ever appears) it'll be OFP for me until Game 2 turns up!  huh.gif

Since it's being made for Multiplatform so PS3 and 360 users can play OFP2 do you really think it will have the level of detail as in ArmA or even OFP?

I think not! Forget the heavy modding we can do now. It will be a very simple shooter as the code has to be written across three seperate platforms.