Sign in to follow this  
ceB

Quick question about tanks

In OFP when u get into a tank you can look around the interior of the tank and such. in all the vids i have watched with tanks in ArmA the view is only 3rd person and in the sights. can u look around the interior of the tanks in ArmA or have they not added that yet? and if not and they dont plan on to, why?? i hated the tanks in BF2 for one, the unrealistic armor, and how u cant look in the interior of the tank.

There is no interior in ArmA at the moment... true.

But many many players were angry because of that and probably, or hopefully BIS will hear us and add this in the future patches.

The APCs are currently viewable from every position on the inside - I'd imagine that tanks would/should be soon.

Yeah i hope to see that BIS will implement in their future patch those interiors. At least we got in BTD1 addons a interior so it is in that engine already.

I don't get it, what's the point of interiors when it's only a cosmetic feature?

Now if there were interactive panels and screens a' la Steel Beast then I guess it would be usefull.

*hint*BIS*cough*hint*modmakers*cough* confused_o.gif

The point is it feels so much more like the real thing than a floating cameraview. How would you think about planes and choppers, if the cockpit would only be a HUD overlay? And what about invisible car interiors?

The point is it feels so much more like the real thing than a floating cameraview. How would you think about planes and choppers, if the cockpit would only be a HUD overlay? And what about invisible car interiors?

some one gets it    yay.gifnotworthy.gif

I must admit that inside those tanks with the blacked out views around the optics, it does really make it feel like you're peeking out of some kind of pitch black cave.. especially the driver views.

Once we get the tools someone can just port the interior LODs from the OFP tanks into the ArmA ones, simple as that. They won't look as great being from OFP, but who's going to model and texture brand new ArmA quality interiors? crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I don't get it, what's the point of interiors when it's only a cosmetic feature?

Having speed and fuel gauges for tanks can hardly be only cosmetic... Now you never know when you're about to run out of fuel.

But who cares about furnitures inside tanks ? More Reallity? I hope that they first change ArmA into real battlefield game and as last thing they will waste times for interiors for tanks. If ArmA will be 50% as real as OFP 1.96 with BAS/USMC addons then I will buy second copy. For now I feel that I lost 20euro.

I'd first rather see a working thermal gunsight and range

finder on the tanks, but I suppose making an interior would

be easier to do (and I really doubt if we'll ever see a proper

thermal sight simulation in ArmA - I mean one that shows

realistic heat signatures, not one that just recolours a night

vision view). One exception I'd make is the driver's cockpit

and periscope views. That needs to be improved over

the "mailbox slot" view we get now.

I can't agree that it'd feel "so much more like the real thing"

when the tank in the game doesn't operate like the real thing

in any aspect.

Once we get the tools someone can just port the interior LODs from the OFP tanks into the ArmA ones, simple as that. They won't look as great being from OFP, but who's going to model and texture brand new ArmA quality interiors? crazy_o.gif

That all depends, imagine having the Armed Assault abrams, looking great as it does on the outside, the sharp textures and all that, and then you look inside of the tank and are greeted with OFP's M1A1 interior, that would kind of kill the mood a bit, yes it would add an interior but that wouldn't help the bitching as quite a few would still prefer third person because of it.

I personally would do it, nothing says "new and improved" then just that, all new and improved, old blurry textures on the things you will see up close and being important are mostly a thing of the past now.

The problem I am seeing alot with the community with their complaints of things being real is that they didn't seem to play OFP in its original form..sure you can say you did but is that just because you are trying to toss off an arguement? OFP was not as real without the addons, this is true, but the addons were COMMUNITY created things, not COMPANY. The company could spend more time on these things, sure, that will take longer, and who would say they would be happy with the static fast rope animation that we had in OFP with BAS blackhawks for Armed Assault?

Tank interiors can perhaps be manipulated better than other people think..although I do agree about the thermal imaging sights which would provide a better FLIR and so on, I don't see that happening without the use of specialy made units either.

By the way, I love how people blame BIS for many of things that were not included when it was the community that wanted it out quickly, BIS was possibly trying to be generous, I doubt they'll do that ever again.

The panels can be more interactive but by a community aspect, BIS's job is to make the game fairly balanced, not the community's, we can add all the realistic and unfair advantages we want but BIS cannot, therefore they cannot give you all of the realism you want, if you want even more realism then you, like everyone else, will have to wait for the tools to be released.

I'm glad someone else kinda feels the same way I do.

That all depends, imagine having the Armed Assault abrams, looking great as it does on the outside, the sharp textures and all that, and then you look inside of the tank and are greeted with OFP's M1A1 interior, that would kind of kill the mood a bit, yes it would add an interior but that wouldn't help the bitching as quite a few would still prefer third person because of it.

I personally would do it, nothing says "new and improved" then just that, all new and improved, old blurry textures on the things you will see up close and being important are mostly a thing of the past now.

I know, I said it wouldn't look great, but like I said who's going to be the one who has to model and texture interiors that meet the quality of ArmA. Interiors (especially good ones) were always hard for most people to make even in OFP, in ArmA I don't expect too many people will be up to the challenge. The point is at least it's an easier option, and more immediately possible, as those interiors are already available if nobody makes new ones.

Eh, I'm already working on a upgraded interior of the BIS M1A1 if anybody else is interested, oddly enough much of the interior was quite accurate, all it needs is a UV so it doesn't have so many textures, and a few updated bits here and there, example being where the shells are loaded.

Might post some images later.

The interior of the M113 isnt anything that amazing but makes a huge diference. I have seen a better looking M1 model with a slightly edited BIS M1 interior and it looked ok smile_o.gif .

The animations might be a problem though...

Heres a possible bug, i cant hear anything outside the M1A1 when im in as commander... in gunner or driver seats i can hear fine.

Indeed, all it really needs is a new model piece here and there and a new texture, after I changed the mechanism where the shells were loaded I saw a pretty big difference. Decided to go a step further and round out the optics and add buttons and so on, still adding knobs and lights, etc.

int2hz2.jpg

in1uo6.jpg

Don't mind the bad lighting on the object in the loader, I'll be fixing that soon.

So my hats off to BIS on this one.

Nice inlove.gif . The OPF T55 had a nice looking driver seat interior.

There are only 2 MBT's, the shilka and BMP, it would be worth it...

Provided I get enough images so show me plenty of angles for the interior, I might do alittle looking into it, that is after reinstall 3dmax yet again, does anybody by chance know the trick to making the X,Y,Z cursor BIG instead of small? This is the third time I'v had to do this.