Sign in to follow this  
nuxil

Afterburner on su34

The AB should go always directly to the same direction where the exhaust pipes are pointing at. AB effect is not like smoke being spread. So, it should depend on where the nose of your plane is pointing at, not the movement direction of your plane (which is given by vectorDir).

In your case it is hardly appreciable as you use a quite small speed decrement ((vectordir _this) select 0)*30, that is, only up to 30m/s while the velocity of the plane is much more mandatory (250 m/s or so for the Su34). Try multiplying by 200 and then leting your plane simply fall to the ground with the nose pointing up. The dir vector will give you a [0,0,-1] this time.

i'm afraid you are mistaken on what vectordir does. it really got me confused though and i build myself this little "vectortest" script.. what it does is basically adding the returns of each of the discussed commands to the position of the object and then it draws lines of particles to visualize those vectors.

vectortestcz7.jpg

see for yourself that vectordir doesn't change as the direction of movement changes; easiest is to run the script on a heli and then doing a little sideways/up/back flying... you can see the velocityvector change but you only see the directionvector change as the aircraft actually turns.

red is vectordir, green is vectorup, blue is velocity and white is the history of movement.

This is quite interesting. In your test mission, if your chopper flies backwards, the vector dir still points away from the nose of the chopper? Even if you pitch down/up while moving in the opposite direction?

yes - test it out for yourself. just download the script above and exec it from the init line of a unit.

You ought to post that script in the discussion section of the command's biki page. It should be usefull for anyone wanting to visualise what exactly it does.

Even more interesting, I did just the opposite thing, instead of reading vectorDir, I applyed vector dir to a Harrier moving it all along a virtual sphere or radious 1. The harrier turned all its way in the horizontal plane but didnt pitch up/down. Only after applying the vectorUp the harrier turned and also piched up/down.

i think i'm beginning to understand your problem.

SETvectordir and vectorDIR are different in that the first one can be used *only* to rotate things (at least thats what the biki says) while the returns of the second one also include pitch.

Same for setvectorUP and vectorup only for pitch and bank wink_o.gif

You ought to post that script in the discussion section of the command's biki page. It should be usefull for anyone wanting to visualise what exactly it does.

before i do that i think i'm gonna try and add some kind of interface to test out user-defined vectors and adjust some of the properties of the display. (i only have to learn how to do those things first - i think i'll take a look at your particle-test interface for clues smile_o.gif )

@lethal

u did a dam fine job on these AB SB hope u do it on the harrie 2 but not the AB but only wing tip great job biggrin_o.gif

@lethal

u did a dam fine job on these AB SB hope u do it on the harrie 2 but not the AB but only wing tip great job biggrin_o.gif

thank you!

A new version is ready:

av8beffectsgs9.jpg

-script doesn't have to be executed from each aircraft (run it once somewhere (on a gamelogic for example)

-harrier is now supported (without afterburner and sonic boom)

-sonic boom as been redone completely (although still not as good as i whish it to be)

-synchronized with framerate (more accurate updates + possibly smoother display of effects) (thanks ColonelSandersLite smile_o.gif )

-fine-tuned all existing effects

>download<

to use create a gamelogic and put this in the initialization field:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">nil = this execvm "AircraftEffects\AircraftEffects.sqf"

edit: forgot to mention that the Afterburner Hotkey is now set to Shift (the left one)

dont add sonicfog to the harrier,, its a sub sonic aircraft.. it doesnt do mach 1..

i haven't - read again wink_o.gif

only effects present on the harrier are wingtip trails and high aoa vapour.

only effects present on the harrier are wingtip trails and high aoa vapour.

..... as requested notworthy.gif

Thanks very much lethal thumbs-up.gif

Simply great addition to get more authential athmosphere whit this fighters planes.

So does this thing work in multiplayer without trouble? If yes, I will add it to one of my upcoming deathmatches. smile_o.gif

Apparently the script doesn't work for planes that were created after mission start - any way to round this? confused_o.gif

mhh.. i could make a loop that checks for new planes every couple of seconds...

one other way would be to have the script executed whenever you create a new vehicle...

like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

//_aircraft is the vehicle that was just creted via scipt

nil = _aircraft execVM "AircraftEffects\SU34_Afterburner.sqf";

nil = _aircraft execVM "AircraftEffects\SonicBoom.sqf";

nil = _aircraft execVM "AircraftEffects\SU34_WingtipTrails.sqf";

nil = _aircraft execVM "AircraftEffects\SU34_FuselageVapour.sqf";

//if it's a harrier only do these

nil = _aircraft execVM "AircraftEffects\AV8B_WingtipTrails.sqf";

nil = _aircraft execVM "AircraftEffects\AV8B_FuselageVapour.sqf";

...make a loop that checks for new planes every couple of seconds...

here's how you do it:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

private ["_oldunits"];

_oldunits = [];

while {true} do

{

_newunits = vehicles - _oldunits;

{

if (_x iskindof "Su34") then

{

nil = _x execVM "AircraftEffects\SU34_Afterburner.sqf";

nil = _x execVM "AircraftEffects\SonicBoom.sqf";

nil = _x execVM "AircraftEffects\SU34_WingtipTrails.sqf";

nil = _x execVM "AircraftEffects\SU34_FuselageVapour.sqf";

}

else

{

if (_x iskindof "AV8B") then

{

nil = _x execVM "AircraftEffects\AV8B_WingtipTrails.sqf";

nil = _x execVM "AircraftEffects\AV8B_FuselageVapour.sqf";

};

};

} foreach _newunits;

_oldunits = _newunits;

sleep 1;

};

just replace the contents of AircraftEffects.sqf with this. it checks every second but i think you can increase the interval...

not tested at all, i just did that in the editor and have no time to check it atm. but please let me know if it works smile_o.gif

did notice that the after burner favours the left engine as the plane builds speed.

thanks for pointing that out. seems i forgot to make some changes to both emitters while editing smile_o.gif

I know this is a bit of a post revival, but some of the download links have ceased to work, can anyone send the newest one to me or get a new script working?

I'd like to see the script upgraded for A-10 if possible. My upcoming jet map demands the effects to be used.

hi there ...

awesome things here ... that might be a very nice addon for berzerk map package yay.gif ..

i never tried something like that ... really cool!

so would it be possible to write a script for tanks for a "Fog Wall" thrower simulation?... i think of maybe 8 shells each side .. something like that?

i just have to read this thread now ... and give the scripts a try to see that ingame ...

Regards,

zap

lo,

well anybody has a working dl link ?

hf

ps could use the vectorscript too ..

hi there again ...

... yes i can't find an actual script, too ... i just have a really old su34 only, with no working afterburner ... but the while loop from lethal seems to be working in MP Games, even with a little bug:

it's better putting "_oldunits = _oldunits + _newunits;" at the end of while loop right before sleep 1, to prevent loop from starting endless instances.

regards,

zap