Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

Infantry, prepare to be amazed

If you're like me, one of the most frustrating aspects of both OFP and Armed Assault is how the view moves when you're in ironsight mode. Anyone who has fired a real rifle while on the move knows that your view stays relatively stable while the weapon shifts and bobs within it. OFP/ArmA, however, had it set so that your view followed your weapon precisely - this resulted in an annoying and disorienting view bobbing and jerking when moving.

Fortunately, BIS is the kind of dev that is always open to feedback. They have introduced something in an upcoming version of ArmA (possibly in this next patch?) that is going to blow people away.

Without further delay, take a look at this:

Enhanced Infantry Ironsight Movement

This changes the gameplay from an infantry perspective IMMENSELY. I cannot overstate how dramatic of a change this is. It makes the recoil feel much more lifelike and smooth, dramatically influences the way machineguns are handled and fired, and makes shooting while moving a distinct possibility while retaining the real-world issues inherent in it.

For those wondering if this will be exploited to get "Counter-Strike gameplay", pay careful attention to what happens in the video. There are many, many points where I fire from fairly close range yet miss because I'm moving and my sights aren't properly aligned. Firing from the move will be effective in the following situations:

1. Very close quarters battle

2. As area fire/suppression at other ranges

This is one hell of an amazing change. MOUT/CQB is going to become so much more enjoyable because of it, not to mention the way it makes the recoil feel and all the other benefits inherent in it. I think everyone who gives this a shot is going to love it compared to how things currently are. To say that it reminds me of how Infiltration works is a pretty high compliment.

Thank you, BIS. smile_o.gif

edit: Quoting from later in the thread where I discovered that this change actually enables freeaim ironsights and TrackIr movemen while in ironsights.

Quote[/b] ]This was a very hastily created video... I didn't spend more than a minute or so practicing with the freeaim irons, so it's not exactly the pinnacle of marksmanship. Still, it gets the point across.

Oh, and there's a bonus surprise at the end regarding TrackIR... wink_o.gif

Freeaim Ironsights in Armed Assault 1.05

inlove.gif

That looks great. As you say I hope this doesn't turn ArmA into yet another FPS CS clone. We'll see how it affects gameplay in MP. If everyone is running around the battlefield firing then I would assume its being abused. :-)

Well, now its possible to move around with the iron sights up without getting a headache.. biggrin_o.gif

Can we have an exact description of the changes?

The weapon is what moves around on screen now, not your camera... which was just horribly sluggish.

Nice one BIS, and thanks for the video, Dsl.

It does feel more realistic, i mean the player is walking but instead of having the whole screan shaking only the arms do, i like it

smile_o.gif .

I think, though I'm not sure, that this is EXACTLY what is needed to reduce the 'robotness' of the ARMA experience. Awesome stuff!

That looks great. As you say I hope this doesn't turn ArmA into yet another FPS CS clone. We'll see how it affects gameplay in MP. If everyone is running around the battlefield firing then I would assume its being abused. :-)

If someone is 100 meters away and is walking towards you with his sights up while firing, simply take a knee and put a bullet in his chest. I guarantee you'll win unless he's just lucky and lands a shot on you. If you use proper cover when fighting, you'll win 9 times out of 10, I'd wager.

this is great because at the moment you need a sickbag with you when doing that :P

Aaah since the release of ArmA on 29 November 2006, this is the best news Ive heard biggrin_o.gif

Thank you very much for that great video, I loved what I saw and am now really looking forward to the patch.

Thanks again for sharing ... btw. if your not married, give me a shout wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Oh god, another thing I noticed is you can shoot on the move when using a fully automatic weapon!

Praise be! Thank you.

Awesome stuff!

Now you can think a bit further when you start your attack. You don't loose all the other enemies when shooting the first. biggrin_o.gif

To say that it reminds me of how Infiltration works is a pretty high compliment.

Indeed, this video strongly remind me of some INF moments with the superb implementation of sight misalignment featured in it.

Anything that is approaching Infiltration gameplay is a definitive improvement in the good direction.

And having this implemented in ArmA is really a great step forward.

There is lots of abuse potential though.

Can you strafe/walk and shoot a PKM/M240 looking thru irons and spit 200 rounds thru it like that? I mean you wont even have to stop shooting while switching targets on the move.

Can you side walk while looking thru the sights of a M249 and acurately put 50 rounds on a target? IRL people shooting it from the standing position still use very small bursts...

Based on that movie SAWT units could switch from MP5's to M249's confused_o.gif .

marvelous (always wanted to use that word one day)  tounge2.gif. It has nothing to do with becoming Counterstrike when implementing this change. For single player and coop this definetly adds to the experience.

oh my god this is sick!

i am really looking forward for the next patch and this single one is what make me cant wait for it! now those muppets couldnt laught at it now!  nener.gif

very well done BIS!

BTW how about scoped sights?

OT:oh and Dslyecxi can you share me your TIR setting?

Awesome and a definite improvement on the current config!

I just hope the recoil values of weapons such as the PK ensure that your arms get a good shaking when you switch to full auto in the standing/crouched position.

Quote[/b] ] Can you strafe/walk and shoot a PKM/M240 looking thru irons and spit 200 rounds thru it like that? I mean you wont even have to stop shooting while switching targets on the move.

Did you pay attention to how often I missed even at close range? I wouldn't be too worried about this being "abused". As to recoil and such, this brings some new aspects into play and I'm sure that there will be tweaks to various weapon recoils now that things work more naturally.

Thank god they made this fix! I don't know why, but it seems weird to me that people weren't really complaining about this. This was probably the biggest iron sight issue in this game; the fact that your "head camera" was locked to the gun. I talk about this issue here as well as some other things. http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....=rg7621

I don't know if they had this planned for a while (but why release all the other versions with the view locked) or they listened to somebody in the community, but either way thank god they made this fix!