Sign in to follow this  
eJay

No-Grass islands released!

Its just cosmetic, there is no grass tall enough in ArmA to hide you.

IMO the grass is a fancy graphical feature that makes the game lag for people who doesnt have dual core computers, wich alot of people who might want to play arma still doesnt have, myself included.

@-SWAT-: If you dont want to use it, just dont download it!

Anyways,

Good one  thumbs-up.gif

i don't have duel core and i don't lag at all welcome.gif

While this is a very good idea and very useful for increasing performance, it is pretty sad on BIS's part when the community needs to release whole alternate islands just so they can disable grass icon_rolleyes.gif

But I didn't think that the grass would be such a FPs killer! Surprising.

i only wish i can SIMPLE reduce (more rnd spread and sometimes higher sometimes lower) grass density

then increase grass rendering range 3-5 times ...

now it need way too much editing ... it should be option / server enforcable ...

While this is a very good idea and very useful for increasing performance, it is pretty sad on BIS's part when the community needs to release whole alternate islands just so they can disable grass icon_rolleyes.gif

But I didn't think that the grass would be such a FPs killer! Surprising.

Well, if everyone had a choice to have it or not, it gives people without it more of an advantage online. Now, if they had a server side option that would be great, but people would still be bitching, because they will want it on or off. confused_o.gif

I personally would love to see graphic options for grass, tree sway, HDR, ect... Then so many people with low end systems won't be left out in the cold. Then when they decide to upgrade they can really enjoy the beauty of ArmA, but like I said above, if these were single player options, they have to also be multiplayer server side options. thumbs-up.gif

Online problem isn't a problem. just rename all MP missions with "saraNG" in the middle and if any mate want to join a server, he have to download NGSahrani/Rahmadi.

I personally would prefer 'less grass'

Just change a number in the config of sara.pbo wink_o.gif

I lowered my grass with 70%, that way it still feels like ArmA (as opposed to the barren feel of OFP), but still get a nice FPS boost, and the grass isnt constantly in my face anymore when laying down tounge2.gif

EDIT:

For those interested, look at this:

clutterGrid = 3.110000;

clutterDist = 27;

noDetailDist = 20;

fullDetailDist = 0.200000;

minTreesInForestSquare = 2;

minRocksInRockSquare = 1;

Everything should speak for itself, iirc 'clutter' is the grass/little rocks

How did you manage to change the config for sara and it still works?

I unpbo'ed sara.pbo with EliteNess 2.03 by Mikero opened the config.bin also in EliteNess edited the values, used EliteNess to Make pbo again and replaced sara.pbo with the modified one. But now Sahrani doesn't even appear in the Editor ingame.

So what tools did you use?

now that someone figured this out it will be abused..

If the anticheat is enabled, then there is no possibility to do so.

If the original island is replaced by this island... it will probably give a modified file message (altough not sure if they continued this in ArmA?)

Online problem isn't a problem. just rename all MP missions with "saraNG" in the middle and if any mate want to join a server, he have to download NGSahrani/Rahmadi.

I don't know if you were responding to me or just in general to others, but I wasn't refering to your addon and multiplayer, I was refering to BIS and if they included a no grass graphic option.

BTW, you haven't posted your system specs yet wink_o.gif

I lowered my grass with 70%, that way it still feels like ArmA (as opposed to the barren feel of OFP), but still get a nice FPS boost, and the grass isnt constantly in my face anymore when laying down tounge2.gif

EDIT:

clutterGrid = 3.110000;

clutterDist = 27;

noDetailDist = 20;

I unpbo'ed sara.pbo with EliteNess 2.03 by Mikero opened the config.bin also in EliteNess edited the values, used EliteNess to Make pbo again and replaced sara.pbo with the modified one. But now Sahrani doesn't even appear in the Editor ingame.

Can't remember excactly, but AFAIK the latest version of Eliteness is 2.08 smile_o.gif

I guess most people never saw my posts a month ago about removing the grass, I even posted a pic in the screenshot thread showing a forest that looked more like a jungle with far bigger plants etc.

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/twisted....ter.jpg

Anyway it's good to see this released as a addon as to me it makes the game far more playable, especially for FPS and against the AI.

awesome, no grass, and to all of you people that say that this makes it look like OFP, no it doesnt, because it makes it more realistic, you see a bush, you know you have to rush there and take cover, or the enemy will see oyu, instead of, ill just lie down here, and im good. =D also. i have AMD 64 3800+ 1 gig of ram and 256meg video card, tell me how many fps will i get with running no grass island. please. also how many fps will i get if i run a 128 m video card on the same no grass island. thanks you people. just wanted to know how much no grass improves fps. notworthy.gif

Well for the moment I'm done with visuals and I want to play the game to its greatest capacity till my new video card arrives. And this addon is really useful, in forests I am averaging about 2fps maybe 3.

Which is not good, lol.

With this addon, I can walk around Sahrani with playable FPS (15 maybe) because there is no grass, and when I go to prone it isnt an automatic 10 frame drop, it keeps the same, which I am really thankful for.

Great Work and these are the addons that get remembered. wink_o.gif

awesome, no grass, and to all of you people that say that this makes it look like OFP, no it doesnt, because it makes it more realistic, you see a bush, you know you have to rush there and take cover, or the enemy will see oyu, instead of, ill just lie down here, and im good. =D also. i have AMD 64 3800+ 1 gig of ram and 256meg video card, tell me how many fps will i get with running no grass island. please.  also how many fps will i get if i run a 128 m video card on the same no grass island. thanks you people. just wanted to know how much no grass improves fps.  notworthy.gif

Did you even read the first post? confused_o.gif

It looks like in 1.03 thatyou'll be able to turn off the grass by lowering terrain detail to it's lowest setting. From the patch notes:

Quote[/b] ]5115 - New: Terrain Detail now controls grass detail as well (can be used to turn off the grass if you set terrain detail on very low) NOTE: in MP this is controlled by the server only

It looks like in 1.03 thatyou'll be able to turn off the grass by lowering terrain detail to it's lowest setting. From the patch notes:
Quote[/b] ]5115 - New: Terrain Detail now controls grass detail as well (can be used to turn off the grass if you set terrain detail on very low) NOTE: in MP this is controlled by the server only

lol was just about to post the same thing.. looks like when we get the UK version/ and updates

Quote[/b] ]

New: Terrain Detail now controls grass detail as well (can be used to turn off the grass if you set terrain detail on very low) NOTE: in MP this is controlled by the server only

EDIT:

clutterGrid = 3.110000;

clutterDist = 27;

noDetailDist = 20;

Can't remember excactly, but AFAIK the latest version of Eliteness is 2.08 smile_o.gif

Ok got it to work!

First thanks for the hint for Eliteness 2.08.

Then for those interested how it works. You have to open sara.pbo i.e. with Eliteness, then DERAPIFY config.bin, change the correspondent values and then rapify again the config. And finally use the button make pbo in Eliteness for the sara folder.

Don't forget to make backups!

It's funny people are releasing Islands without grass and I found in this topic information how actually to improve and add grass to sara! smile_o.gif

Now the grass clumps show up 150m before me and the transition between the barren ground and the grassy ground is more realistic. I didn't change the values for density but I changede the value of full detail distance from 5 to 10 m.

So, this game is really scalable, you just have to find the lines!

i cant get eliteness 2.08 to work

keep getting [ memory can not be "read" ] error sad_o.gif

1. Did you read the readme?

2. Did you really read the readme? smile_o.gif

3. Did you install the .dll file correctly?

1. Did you read the readme?

2. Did you really read the readme? smile_o.gif

3. Did you install the .dll file correctly?

1. yes

2. yes

3. yes

point is i sometime got this kind of CTD when playing online

but that would be a bit OT

is it possible to only DL the config.bin and do the repack ourself?(or is it allowed) confused_o.gif

I also can't get Eliteness 2.08 to run. Tried it on several of my machines, and it always crashes.

Might be related to the version of some DLLs it depends on like msvcrt or MFC...

Anyway, is there another PBO packer working correctly for ArmA available at the moment?

Thanks

Oldy

Also, cpp2bin 1.2 from amalfi does not work on the config.cpp I get from unrap. It states an error with class DefaultLighting.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

Oldy

Great work! is it possible to get that only as desert island?

Need it for desert scenario!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks forward!

MfG

PutiNix77