Sign in to follow this  
franze

F/A-18E/F 1.0 Released!

nice addon!! will there be other skins for the planes like ikar´s f14 have??would be nice to put different sqadrons on a carrier especially when you edit carrier fleets with more than one carrier! (for example uss nimitz with cvw 11 and uss harry s truman with cvw 4 and so on)

@Gedis

I did have a raft at one point, but the problem that arose was rescue operations (again). Also, I had lots of problems trying to make the raft a slow/unmoving vehicle, despite the speed settings I gave it.

@Wonder

I opted against adding a keyboard-only feature since I use a joystick. Maybe in a future update.

@Wonder, k4i, & knochknight71

Opted against JDAM because I was having a hard time seeing the advantage over GBU-10. Opted against smaller GBUs for reasons of complexity, but might add GBU-12 and GBU-16 in the future.

@Jaentzen

Depends on which squadrons are "in demand". I had hoped to include some additional squadrons in separate packages (containing only model and necessary separate textures). I suppose I could make a *massive* package containing a number of units and squadrons, but it'd be pretty large.

I use a joystick too, but a programmable one, so I have the throttle axis range from 0-90% programmed as analogue trottle axis and 90-100% programmed for forward fast depressed.

Anyway, action menu afterburners are not my favorite to say the least.

possible f/a18e/f squadrons: VFA-2 Bounty Hunters, F/A-18F (vorher F-14D); VFA-11 Red Rippers, F/A-18F (vorher F-14B); VFA-14 Tophatters, F/A-18E (vorher F-14A); VFA-22 Fighting Redcocks, F/A-18E (vorher F/A-18C) (Umrüstung auf F/A-18F läuft); VFA-27 Chargers, F/A-18E (vorher F/A-18C); VFA-31 Tomcatters, F/A-18E (vorher F-14D - derzeit in der Umrüstung); VFA-32 Swordsmen, F/A-18F (vorher F-14D); VFA-41 Black Aces, F/A-18F (vorher F-14B); VFA-102 Diamondbacks, F/A-18F (vorher F-14B); VFA-103 Jolly Rogers, F/A-18F (vorher F-14B); VFA-115 Eagles, F/A-18E (vorher F/A-18C); VFA-137 Kestrels, F/A-18E (vorher F/A-18C); VFA-143 Pukin' Dogs, F/A-18E (vorher F-14B); VFA-154 Black Nights, F/A-18F (vorher F-14B); VFA-211 Flying Checkmates, F/A-18F (vorher F-14B); VFA-213 Black Lions, F/A-18F (vorher F-14D)

@Wonder

That's pretty clever, wish I'd thought of that. wink_o.gif

@Jaentzen

Finding the units isn't the problem, the problem is knowing what their markings are. smile_o.gif

Thanks Franze, this is a very good addon for the community. Interesting set up of "commander" in the back and a pilot up front. Makes perfect sense! One thing I wanted to ask. Why is addon is SO loud? I put it against all other addons (footmunch's stuff, SU-30's, VIT's) and this one you can hear the furthest. When it is getting closer, you get a feeling that he is already above you, even though F-18 is still 2-3 miles away. Perhaps tuning it down a little in the next patch?

Also, I think it is kind of slow for a fighter plane. Did anyone else noticed it?

Franze, on your post in the banner I noticed MIG-21. Is it a next project? If yes, any release dates in mind?

I think I can tune down the sound radius. I just checked it and it's set to Db+80, so it's no wonder you can hear it from so far.

As for speed, it's got an average top speed but it's acceleration is abysmal. Depending on weapons configuration, it can go up to 800kts (about 1400-1500kmh) with burner. Unassisted, maximum speed is about 450kts (750-800kmh). The key thing is it can take a bit to get to that maximum speed.

Re, MiG-21 - it's part of a pack containing a number of low-detail simplified units. It's a pack that's still WIP, but hardly of the same level of quality as F/A-18. But you can have a lot of MiG-21s for every F/A-18 you put on the map.

As i wrote i like very much thi add-on.

Anyway, there are two "bugs" i pointed out:

1) i tried to follow instruction in read-me for having map in cockpit display...

i use "print-screen" key in Editor screen to copy map and pasted it in Word document,

i opened it with AdobePaintShop and after sizing it 256X256,

i saved it as *.tga (32 bit), finally i converted it in *.paa and

i put it in my/mission/folder...Unfortunally when i switch engine on, i have no map in F18 display (no map available)!!!

crazy_o.gif

where i get wrong??

2)Using "automatic landing" command AI does not make my F18 land: my F18 circuits indefinitly over the airport...

icon_rolleyes.gif

Can You help me?

Thank You

1 - Is the variable fz_18custmap = "mapname.paa" in a global inititialization field and with the correct name?

2 - Which map is it that you're trying to land on?

1)Sorry but i know very little about OFP scripting... what does it mean "Global inititialization field" and where i find it?

i created "Torment_valley.paa" as map for Torment_valley island and i set fz_18custmap = "Torment_valley.paa" in init field of F18 itself (as second canche, i put it "on activation" field of a trigger with "condition"=true)...is this "Global inititialization field", as You wrote?

In addition i red about a "fz_f18_artystrikes=#": how does it work? and how can activate it? (as usual i i put it "on activation" field of a trigger with "condition"=true and # = 5, but nothing happened) confused_o.gif

2) i'm trying to land on Tormen_Valley, awmland, Everon...

my impression is that any island i try to activate AI for landing ("automatic landing" command), it does not work...

justy for having a check, can You write me an island You are sure this command works? i'll test it as soon as possible.

Thank You a lot smile_o.gif

I think the WVR missiles (9M and 9X) could be made a bit slower. Kinda the same way they are with Battle Over Hokkaido mod's Fighters. That way they'd have more time to track their targets.

I just hate it when I line up for a great shot at a fast-mover's 7 o' clock position and my supposedly "all-aspect" fox-2 misses 3 out of 4 times. A/A-missiles have always been this way with most OFP aircraft against fast-movers.

I also can't help feeling that the Vulcan is a bit underpowered. Sure it's pretty much spot on against BIS's SU-25, but that's a paper plane! Community-made aircraft usually take half of the ammunition. A 20mm Vulcan should be able to take out a BMP.

@falagar

That should be correct, it should work... The texture is in your mission folder with that name?

I've tested Landing Autopilot (both for AI and for myself) and it's worked for me on all islands I've tested it on. No idea why it isn't working for you.

@Wonder

I'd cut the speed down, but then it'd cost range, and some capability against faster aircraft. All-aspect doesn't mean 100% hit rate at all times. You can retweak them yourself if you'd like, but I spent a lot of time trying to get the right balance out of all AAMs. Also, if your target has missile spoofing, your chances of a successful hit decrease dramatically. I just tested with F/A-18E default weapons (2xAIM-9X, 4xAIM-120C, 2xAIM-7M) against custom aircraft w/ no spoofing and against Footmunch Su-27, Su-33, MiG-23, and MiG-27. Hit rate for AIM-9X was 100% through 5 tests. Hit rate for AIM-120C was 80% in 5 missions, and hit rate for AIM-7M was 70% in 5 missions. These shots were from all aspects and from less than 1500m in distance.

Re: M61 - Not sure where you're going here. It took me 72 shots to destroy a BMP2, with probably about 10 missed shots. Against T-72s it can take about 150 or more, but I didn't test those. T-80 is pretty much impossible without the full magazine. Against other aircraft it doesn't take much at all to force an ejection or completely destroy the aircraft - tested against custom MiG-29 and MiG-21, with 120 and 90 armor values respectively. Keep in mind it scatters the shots through a relatively large area, so you might not be hitting as much as you thought.

First link is out of bandwidth, will check it later.

Video isn't a whole lot of help, but thanks anyways.

Heeeeeeeellllllllp....can´t find a script to turn the wings up and down (for carrier missions)!

[this] exec "\fz_f18\aws\foldwing.sqs"

Great work m8,just tested F18 against Su-27,Su-29,F-16 and Mirage and they didnt have a good time i must say...will challenge some other planes also and later some friends...cockpit is great (love the map view) and so is the damage system (warnings,engine blown away etc.).

Can u please explain ,in basics, how to use GPS\ARM Targeting (thing with 30sec time to choose target zone ...)?

GPS targeting is done by activating it, going to the map, and selecting a position for the JSOW to fly to. Then you target the "GPS target" that shows up and fire the missile. Once there it expends it's load of AT submunitions. ARM targeting looks through a list of possible ARM targets and selects the first one on the list to track. Then you target the "HARM target" that shows up and fire the weapon. You can set ARM targets with the fz_f18_harmarray=["unit1","unit2","etc"] variable.

Update: F/A-18E/F has been upgraded to version 1.1, and F/A-18E/F Squadrons VFA-2 and VFA-27 upgrade is available for download.

F/A-18E/F Super Hornet 1.1

F/A-18E/F Squads v1

Changes are limited, but include support for GBU-12 and GBU-16 magazines for Mk82 and Mk83 launchers, and now afterburners can be engaged by pressing the E key.

Enjoy!

fa18f_vfa2_fltln1.jpg

fa18e_vfa27_fltln1.jpg

will there be other squadrons??

Possibly, depending on how much time I have. There's other projects that I'd like to get onto now, too - making more paint schemes is time consuming.

@All

Thanks for the kind words!