Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios

Guest RKSL-Rock
fantastically polished vid as always rock, the music makes the addon seem so advanced (although that probably the great flying and trackIR as well), what kind of functions and features are planned for your helos?

bootneckofficer

Haha, it took about 20 mins to put together. Track IR takes some getting used to. Especially with Helicopters, its easy to get disoriented and crash but once you are used to it it does make a huge difference.

As regards functions it really does depend on the helicopter. Some will have the obvious cargo options, others depend on what the real aircraft can do. But I am hoping to create fully instrumented cockpits and not just the BIS ones but something actually useable with the similar features as the Harrier Cockpits in other videos.

Great video Rockape.

Just out of curiosity, how hard was it to port the model from OFP on a scale of 1 to 10 using existing tools?

10 being: Super-dooper difficult

1 being: a piece of piss!

And, what are the limitations at the moment? What can you not do?

I was wondering if you could answer a few more questions about your W.I.P. projects if you can:

[*]How well does the Sea Skimming Missile system work in ArmA? Is it at all effected by choppy seas when the weather takes a turn for the worse?

[*]I know ArmA hasn't been all that many people have wanted it to be and I was wondering what is likely to limit you teams developments, based on the current release of ArmA. If you get round to making the naval units in ArmA, what limitations are you likely to have in realising you ideas (i.e. Unit sizes of ships, etc)?

Quote[/b] ]- CVF Carrier

- HMS Ocean Class

- HMS Albion Class

- Astute Class (SSN) Sub (Cruise Missile platform etc) – For Sea Launched Cruise missiles

- Vanguard (SSBN) Class Sub – As above

- Type 45 for Fleet air defence

- Support ships etc

Each with associated radars, SAM, CIWS, Decoys etc all Fire Control Linked as per Rapier FSC etc

<span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>[source:RKSL Studios]</span>

Cheers Guy's thumbs-up.gif

Always delighted to see RKSL work in action.

All the best UNN and Rockape (and any others involved in the MOD) notworthy.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Great video Rockape.

Just out of curiosity, how hard was it to port the model from OFP on a scale of 1 to 10 using existing tools?

10 being: Super-dooper difficult

1 being: a piece of piss!

And, what are the limitations at the moment? What can you not do?

Well its not really that hard…I give it a 2 - but the hard bit is getting to grips with the differences between OFP and ArmA config system and structure and how proxies work.  That takes a bit of time to work out.

The model is exactly the same one I used in OFP.  I just needed to ‘tune’ the Geo Lod to make it fly better.  There are limits, the biggest, and most annoying for me right now, is the lack of custom animations.  But TeRp’s done some good work creating a tutorial toward overcoming that but I haven’t had time to really try it out yet.  I will look into it later.  Likewise I’m struggling to get the gun turrets working.  I really need the selection and axis names off the cobra to get the gun working properly.  Its more a lack of information right now that stopping me doing more.  Given some time and more research I think we might start seeing some new addons in game.

I was wondering if you could answer a few more questions about your W.I.P. projects if you can:

[*]How well does the Sea Skimming Missile system work in ArmA? Is it at all effected by choppy seas when the weather takes a turn for the worse?

The honest answer to that is: “I have no idea!  I’ve not tried it.  Frankly the sea conditions didn’t even occur to me.  I’ll need to look into that but I suspect that it shouldn’t affect it to badly.  If I can port the Nimrod Test bed over I’ll post a vid . Could be interesting.

[*]I know ArmA hasn't been all that many people have wanted it to be and I was wondering what is likely to limit you teams developments, based on the current release of ArmA.

Well, I don’t know that anything will stop us dead.  In the past when we’ve hit limits we’ve usually found ways around them.  If anything will slow us down its going to be Texturing and UV Mapping.  I hate it with a vengeance.  I much prefer modelling; UNN prefers his scripts so we’re looking to expand the team and some find good texture artists and UV unwrappers.  Farles (Of HL2 fame) has recently joined the team but we’re hoping recruit some 2 more people with texture and unwrapping skills.

If you get round to making the naval units in ArmA, what limitations are you likely to have in realising you ideas (i.e. Unit sizes of ships, etc)?

I promise you it isn’t an “IF†it’s a “whenâ€.  We’ve entered into a partnership with CBFASI (of the FLK mod) to make naval units.  We have similar goals in mind so it been a logical step that he pursues his interest and we collaborate when our requirements collide. I already have a good working partnership with CBFASI from working with him on the Falklands mod.  

Unfortunately with ArmA there are still some of the old issues associated with large objects.  The old 50x50x50 rule still applies, even though you can get the simple geo lods upto 80x80x80 fairly reliably. But this causes problems if its not placed on ‘flat’ ground.  Even if its floating on the surface of the water. The terrain under it still seems to have an affect on the way the engine deals with geo lods and roadways.

The good news is that the multi-gun support native to ArmA now means that coordinated fire from multiple defence weapons is now very easy to do.  With the help of the FCSS we’ve been working on the ships should be able to defend themselves properly and realistically now.

its nice to see my work inspired someone else wink_o.gif

Looked thru the thread now, many great stuff.

Have you guys considered the airbus that will "replace" c130, think UK will buy it aswell.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Have you guys considered the airbus that will "replace" c130, think UK will buy it aswell.

Well its only intended to replace the older C130s in the short term.  Most of the C1 and C3 (C-130K) version have 4-6 years life left in the airframes.  The C4 and C5 (C-130J) will stay in fleet service for upto another 20 years so the Hercs are still relevant to our 2012-2017 time frame.

The A400M requirement is really more geared towards the heavier lift ops like the C-17 class operations.  Although according to rumour since the RAF's current lease of C-17A may result in them being bought outright and further airframes being ordered, may well have an impact on the final number of A400Ms we've already committed to.  But considering the Germany has screwed us over (By commiting to a high number and then reducing their requirement but refusing to pay for it) as they did on Eurofighter, I think its likely the number of A400Ms will be cut as the cost increases.

BUT we will be making the A400M too eventually.

Flabberghasted by those two walkthrough video's.

Really exciting stuff. Glad I bought that new joystick after all.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Flabberghasted by those two walkthrough video's.

Really exciting stuff. Glad I bought that new joystick after all.

Nice to hear we're having an affect on people :P

Here's something else new

ARMAPR_MerHC3.jpg

DOWNLOAD - MERLIN HC3 Demo - 34mb WMV

The Merlin looks sweet ingame even without textures. thumbs-up.gif

Still looking forward to the Wessex HC2 the most.

Ps. The music wasnt as good this time. tounge2.gif

The Merlin is truly magical ( pun intended... icon_rolleyes.gif ).

How many versions of the Merlin are you going for Rock? I guess this might be dependant on who you can get to pass the texturing on to; as I remember you mentioning that it wan't your most popular pastime! whistle.gif

Like sniperuk02, I too am waiting on the Wessex inlove.gif, as it's been an all time favourite of mine.

Looking forward to more tidbits...onwards and upwards.

Best of luck RKSL thumbs-up.gif

Brown trousers time for the lads in the back or what? biggrin_o.gif

Great vid Rock (as always). Great choice of music too.

Guest RKSL-Rock
How many versions of the Merlin are you going for Rock? I guess this might be dependant on who you can get to pass the texturing on to; as I remember you mentioning that it wan't your most popular pastime! whistle.gif

Well im going for 3 main model variants:

1) Merlin HC3

2) EH101 Mk512 (Converted Danish TTV Spec)

3) Merlin HM1 (Navalised)

There will be various weapon loud-outs  for the HC3 and Mk512, but nothing too extravagant. Mostly GPMGs in the approved layouts.

The Reason for the Danish spec Mk 512 is that the RAF has bought 6 airframes back from the Danes to fulfil a short fall in medium lift helicopter capability in “hot and high†climates like Afghanistan.

The Naval HM1 will come later when RN ships are available for them to fly from.

Brown trousers time for the lads in the back or what? biggrin_o.gif

Great vid Rock (as always). Great choice of music too.

Well got to keep the pongos in their place!

RE the music – I was feeling a little bit confrontational at the time :P

Cant wait till i get those sleepless nights editing every map on our server, replacing Blackhawks with Merlins biggrin_o.gif

Looks great as allways..... lol looking forward to recreating the merlin challenge... if only it were possible to land on moving ships sad_o.gif

Looks like a really nice model Rockape. Looking forward to give it a ride ingame.

Btw: Do you plan to add some scripts for underslung loads? Not only for the Merlin but for your other helicopters, Chinook etc, too.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Btw: Do you plan to add some scripts for underslung loads? Not only for the Merlin but for your other helicopters, Chinook etc, too.

Each helicopter will have the appropriate cargo system both internal and external loads.  As usual all the UKF and default vehicles will be supported.

I was just thinking... wow_o.gif

About the sam systems, would it be possible to give like an indication ingame about the radar range and coverage area of the sam radar. As in OFP with the campaign. In the map you could see the zone where the enemy is positioned in red.

So if you could like see what the radar coverage would be you can adjust other sam sites for maximum cover, and also overlap two radar sections, or leave a little area in between sam sites to sneak thrue.

A bit difficult to explain for me...

Additionally would it be possible to read the same radar coverage inside "enemy" aircraft like a F-22A I know your not making one but it has the passive radar system. Perhaps youve seen the Discovery channel documentary about the raptor? It can read enemy radar sections and give an indication on screen where they are so you can sneak in between...

>>> Iran missions....

Lovely work with the Merlin btw!

thumbs-up.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
I was just thinking... wow_o.gif

About the sam systems, would it be possible to give like an indication ingame about the radar range and coverage area of the sam radar. As in OFP with the campaign. In the map you could see the zone where the enemy is positioned in red.

So if you could like see what the radar coverage would be you can adjust other sam sites for maximum cover, and also overlap two radar sections, or leave a little area in between sam sites to sneak thrue.

I’m sorry but why would we need to code that into an addon? This sort of thing the mission maker would decide. There are already radar warnings supported by the FCSS if the mission maker decide to tell you where and what the ranges are then its up to them.

Additionally would it be possible to read the same radar coverage inside "enemy" aircraft like a F-22A I know your not making one but it has the passive radar system. Perhaps youve seen the Discovery channel documentary about the raptor? It can read enemy radar sections and give an indication on screen where they are so you can sneak in between...

The LPI radar features of the F-22 are almost impossible to simulate in any meaningful way in ArmA. To do so would compromise the purpose , as I see it, of the FCSS. It works by detecting active radar sources; it isn’t a “magic†radar finder. If the radar is off it cant see it, no passive detection system can. In essence is a very sensitive EM and Radar detection system. ArmA’s ‘radar’ system just isn’t flexible enough to support a more effective system.

Add a “mission display†showing the location of sam sites also brings up technical issues of showing the detected objects relative to the plane’s position and direction of flight.

With the rwr... is it possible to add an indicator what side of the aircraft it was detected on like radarwarningoc4.jpg

Guest RKSL-Rock
With the rwr... is it possible to add an indicator what side of the aircraft it was detected on like

UNN and I discussed it, in theory its possible in a very limited way.  But, he may just correct me here, I dont think hes done anything about it just yet.  Ultimately it is something we were looking to do. Even adding support for the NATO system using various symbols etc

Quote[/b] ]About the sam systems, would it be possible to give like an indication ingame about the radar range and coverage area of the sam radar. As in OFP with the campaign. In the map you could see the zone where the enemy is positioned in red.

It will be easier to create some markers in the editor, to the appropriate sizes if that’s what the mission maker wants. Best leaving it up to him or her, to decide that.

Quote[/b] ]Additionally would it be possible to read the same radar coverage inside "enemy" aircraft like a F-22A I know your not making one but it has the passive radar system. Perhaps youve seen the Discovery channel documentary about the raptor? It can read enemy radar sections and give an indication on screen where they are so you can sneak in between...

We will have to see what’s possible with Arma when we get the tools. All the information is there, it's just displaying it in game, as you would expect to see it for each addon.

Quote[/b] ]With the rwr... is it possible to add an indicator what side of the aircraft it was detected on like

We did plan on getting the RWR warning lights for the OFP SU25 working, but that was pre Arma release. Not sure if there is much point now. The required information will be readily available via event handlers, if anyone wanted to do it in OFP.

For Arma, I would like to start on a set of generic, open source scripts. That don't require any particular addon, but offer a common format for anyone wanting to get their addons to interact with other addons, in exactly the way you mentioned.

I've just seem the 1.05 Patch STOVL videos presented by Maruk.

What implications are there for the RKSL Harriers with such a system, basic as it is, being hard coded into ARMA? Can you work with it and reduce the amount of extra scripting needed, or will it bring up issues with regard to conflicts?

Though I am impressed by the feature [sTOVL] and BIS's commitment to meet community wishes, the system isn't half as impressive as your work in OFP, and possibly in ARMA (haven't seen the harrier in action in ARMA yet so can't comment). I am glad there is an option for a 'simpler' control system for STOVL represented in game for anyone who might find your system a bit of a handful and BIS have done themselves proud in being able to bring it to the table.

I'm glad you're going to make the EH101 Merlin HM1 (Navalised) variant. It would look great in the grey Tiger Pattern or 'Arctic camo" rofl.gif - the Zebra style, Balkans special camo scheme; any possibilities? Can I sway you with a packet of Ginger Nuts? Not just an ordinary pack though...it's a 50% extra free pack!

All the best with the continued development of the MOD gents.

thumbs-up.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
What implications are there for the RKSL Harriers with such a system, basic as it is, being hard coded into ARMA? Can you work with it and reduce the amount of extra scripting needed, or will it bring up issues with regard to conflicts?

To be honest from what I’ve seen of the vids and in light of some things I’ve discovered in the arma engine over the last few days. I think the BIS VTOL will have virtually no effect on our system.  I’m confidant, and this isn’t a dig at BIS, that we currently have a far more realistic system, and with some of the scripting options available to us with arma’s new features we will have a more complete and realistic system than the 1.05 VTOL could offer.

Though I am impressed by the feature [sTOVL] and BIS's commitment to meet community wishes, the system isn't half as impressive as your work in OFP, and possibly in ARMA (haven't seen the harrier in action in ARMA yet so can't comment). I am glad there is an option for a 'simpler' control system for STOVL represented in game for anyone who might find your system a bit of a handful and BIS have done themselves proud in being able to bring it to the table.

Its “horses for courses†if people want to play with a fully simulated Harrier then hopefully we’ll be providing that.  Those that don’t want to be learn how to fly our Harrier properly now have an option to use the BIS Harrier.

I’ve only just begun to look at converting the Harrier to ArmA, and UNN wants to rewrite some aspects of the VTOL scripts to better suit the new engine.  Which I’m sure will give us an even more realistic system.  Since arma’s new functions now allow us to remove the limits we were forced to live with in OFP.

I'm glad you're going to make the EH101 Merlin HM1 (Navalised)  variant. It would look great in the Tiger Pattern or 'Arctic camo" the Zebra style Pattern; any possibilities? Can I sway you with a packet of Ginger Nuts not just an ordinary pack though...it's a 50% extra free pack?

Its not Snow camo!  Its meant for coastal operations where the stripes help break up the outline against the surf.  And make it a jaffa cakes family pack and you’ve got a deal!

I’ve already got the texture tiles laid out for all the versions and skins of each Merlin variants so dont worry about it.

why would that be weird? In the event of a deployment somewhere, the paint scheme on choppers is the least of the MoD's concern smile_o.gif

Zebra pattern is good at breaking up the shaper of the chopper wherever it is... Hence why the zebra decides being black and white in a rather colourful environment is a good idea.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Very quick update,  The Merlin is being reworked.  I wasn’t happy with the nose so I’ve gotten some more info and I’m re-making it to be hopefully far more accurate.

Also here are the first public shots of the Lynx AH7 armed with TOW.  The models arent complete, several bits are missing.  And the Alpha filtering on the blur textures arent sorted but we're getting there.

RKSL_Lynx7_4.jpg

MORE IMAGES @ http://www.rkslstudios.info/

Features:

- Auto Doors - The side doors open and close automatically on landing

- Sprung Skids - The skids act as dampers making it easier to land and not take damage.

- RWR will be added later

- Full shadows and self shadowing.

Versions:

- AH7 FOD and IR Kit- 8x Tow

- AH7 FOD and IR Kit - Tow and 1x GPMG

- AH7 FOD and IR Kit - 2x GMPG

- AH7 FOD and IR Kit - Unarmed

- AH7 - 8x Tow

- AH7 - Tow and 1x GPMG

- AH7 - 2x GMPG

- AH7  - Unarmed

- AH9 - Unarmed.

It is incredibly agile, easy to fly low level but does take some practice to get used to.  Its far more agile than the Littlebird and much quicker!