Sign in to follow this  
WOLFGiJoe

Demo Dedicated Server

Hopefully this topic won't get as hijacked as others... nener.gif

I know some are having problems running the demo with the "-server" switch. Actually all you need to do is make sure DirectX 9 is installed on the server and it will run.

The problem I am having is getting an actual map or mode to run... I have NO idea how to do that. Theres no maplist.cfg or any other type of config, that I can find, to set it..

Anyone have a direction to go in? biggrin_o.gif

If someone helps me get this going I would be will to give them and their group a 60 player demo server for one month from WOLFServers.com smile_o.gif

Thanks anyone biggrin_o.gif

Thanks man! biggrin_o.gif

Not loading into game at all now...

passwordAdmin = "*****"; // password to protect admin access

password = "";

hostname="WOLFgaming.net ArmA - Demo";

motd[]=

{

"Welcome to ArmA @ WOLFgaming.net",

"http://wolfgaming.net",

"Where teamplay is the gameplay",

}; // Welcome message

class Missions // list of missions that will be played in cyclic order

{

class Mission03 // First mission

{

template = 03ConquerTheIsland.SaraLite;

cadetMode = 1;

param1 = 1800;

param2 = 50;

};

motdInterval=20;

voteThreshold=0.33; // when one third agrees, this is enough to confirm a vote

reportingIP="armedass.master.gamespy.com"; // private server - no reporting

voteMissionPlayers=1; // 3 Makes the server hang

//checkfiles[]={""}; //list of files to check for identity

kickduplicate=0; // do not allow duplicate id

equalModRequired=1; // require equal mod

maxPlayers=60;

Any ideas? biggrin_o.gif

you can't run a dedicated server for the demo.

BI are making a server exe for the demo.

do a sreach next time there are a couple of threads about it already.

you can't run a dedicated server for the demo.

BI are making a server exe for the demo.

do a sreach next time there are a couple of threads about it already.

From the demo read me:

*Did you know...

* ... you can run ArmADemo.exe with commandline parameter -server to create a dedicated server for ArmADemo?

* Visit http://community.bistudio.com for more information about the usage of ArmA dedicated servers.

you waited 4 years to post something that was sensible,correct and assumed no one else would have thought of reading the README and guess what.......you blew it. nener.gif

you waited 4 years to post something that was sensible,correct and assumed no one else would have thought of reading the README and guess what.......you blew it. nener.gif

biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

that cracked me up tounge2.gif

What the hell is the Demo aimed to?

Demo is made to show everyone the benefits of a game.

I have installed the demo. I see 100 servers with 1 player and 10 servers with 3-4 players.

Ok, let's join some 4-player server.

1) ping is jumping from 60 to 600

2) bots and players are teleporting

3) the whole game laggs like sh*t.

4) the round ends in the middle of a mission because the host-player whants to use icq or something.

The whole Demo is compleatly umplayable in online mode.

Do you remember the day BF2-demo released? That was a great day! Lots of servers, lots of people online. Lots of fun.. That was a real demo.

I'm reading many forums and every 2 of 3 men uninstall the demo after 1 hour playing. S*cking multiplay system is one of the main reasons. We need GOOD servers NOW!

Euhhh, the demo dedicated server was also released a day after the demo was released (To the public).

The thing is that everbody is hosting there server on a 1Mbit line and that is crappy sad_o.gif

Euhhh, the demo dedicated server was also released a day after the demo was released (To the public).

I don't see the link to the demo dedicated server.. All fan-sites, this forum, the official armedassault.com don't have a word about it.

The same for me!!

Where may i find the dedicated server for the demo?

plz post a link?

Jena

Lots of different replies in here, whats the deal, im assuming IF dedicated servers could be used with demo there should be alot of em but I dont see any. Is there a patch for the demo coming etc?

whats fact and whats speculating.

i see many-many servers named

bla-bla on bla-bla-bla

they are not dedicated.

i also see 2 or 3 servers without "on bla-bla" with 0 players but i can't join them - nothing happens..

The main question is WHO NEEDS THE MULTIPLAYER DEMO WITH NO POSSIBILITY TO PLAY ONLINE?

there ARE dedicated servers which are run using the -server command BUT the maps will NOT LOAD. This is a restraint of the demo, hence why we are waiting for a dedicated server exe to run a dedi server.. which i have no idea why they didnt release it with the demo, its just causing more problems without it...

there ARE dedicated servers which are run using the -server command BUT the maps will NOT LOAD. This is a restraint of the demo, hence why we are waiting for a dedicated server exe to run a dedi server.. which i have no idea why they didnt release it with the demo, its just causing more problems without it...

True

The only thing that we can blame BI is that they didn't test the -server command on the demo release.

There where some rumours that the dedicated server .exe would release yesterday, but nothing is released yet.

I don't now if the guys of BI are working today and yesterday (I guess not tounge2.gif), if not I think we will have to wait until after xmas before we can play on some normal fast connection speed gameservers  whistle.gif

Yep i went on your server and vote admined myself only to find that it didnt work :\

I asked yesterday whether there was an update on the status of the exe.. i dont know if it will be released before xmas tomorrow but i doubt it lol...

Would have been nice to play on some dedi servers instead of just playing COOP sad_o.gif

I start the demo dedicated server with - server and -config parameters.

I use the start voting parameter to 1 so as soon as i connect the server start voting showing the 3 missions of the demo.

But after countdown nothing happens and countdown restarts...

Any suggestion? (except waiting for the demo server smile_o.gif)

I use the start voting parameter to 1 so as soon as i connect the server start voting showing the 3 missions of the demo.

wait... whistle.gif

lol i dont think BIS realise how bad this demo is... CTI doesnt work,, try and spawn and you get flags all over the island and it wont spawn, sometimes it will freeze, ais spawn on top of dead ais for no reason so u cant capture cities,if you die you cant come back in cause you click on a flag and you wont spawn...

People lag like CRAZY because BIS decided not to release the dedi server with a MULTIPLAYER DEMO. :| The only map which works is COOP, and you have to find and kill EVERY enemy AI, which is near impossible with such a small squad and a large town.

Sort.it.out.or.lose.out.on.sales.

i'll add this thread to my favs so to find out as soon as poss when the files are released.

My clan guys are slowly getting annoyed. Having a member in sweden helps alot wink_o.gif

Oh yah, I tried running arma demo tonight so I can play this game with my friend who doesnt have arma yet. I setup the server by running a demo copy on a seperate machine. Within 15 minutes I 20 people on. Sheesh I didnt get but 10 people on my full arma server for the whole day, and 15 mins I got 20 people in the demo. However I can't host that many people on cti. The best I can do maybe is 10. So my server lagged so bad that I had too shut it down. To top it off add in to my demo hosting session all the bad glitches that everyone is complaining about here on this forum. And let's not forget the intense cussing and complaining from the players about all the glitches. Perhaps most games experience this, but I have never seen it this bad before.?

Then I find in the readme that I can use the -server option. Which of course doesnt work. phtttt.

What to expect?

Jeff

I would imagine, now that it is the 27th of December and there has been plenty of discussion about this, the demo server would of come out...unless in case I missed something.

I really am looking foward to launching it here in the US from one of our servers.  The different posts on our side are not too favorable, but I believe that is more due to the lack of good connections and the fact that the North Americans do not understand what Europe and the rest of the world go through when they play one of our game servers here. wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

All in All I see some good potential for ths game...this was just a demo and I did not expect any more than what I saw.  Since I have been running game sites and testing / Modding games for some time...I was impressed like I said with the potential this game has...

So get the Demo server out ok...

s/ AllShotUp

I saw someone running a dedicated server.... He said was running it on a win2k3 server and it was build 5110. Didn't get any config from him. Not sure how he did it.

Tried the same thing but used -config=server.cfg, however when I make up a server.cfg file it still doesn't work.

I believe it has to do with pointing the map selections to the correct files.

If I could see a screenshot of an actual game directory expanded, I could probiley figure it out...