Sign in to follow this  
Jeevz

IED Script

Improvised Explosive Device Script v1.2

Author: Jeevz 12/13/2006

This script will create an explosion of a selected size on any object when called.

The arguments are [objectName, explosionPower].

- Explosion Power will be 1 of 4 choices

Small - Good for Anti-Personnel use

Medium - Will usually disable a Humvee without killing the occupants

Large - Will usually destroy or disable a passing Humvee and kill or injure all occupants, will disable the tracks and possibly engine on M1A1

Huge - Nothing will survive, I mean... it's HUGE :-)

The included demo mission offers a brief example of the script.

example [car1, "Medium"] exec ied.sqs

The ammo types in the script can be changed easily to suit your needs.

IED Script 1.2

*New version available, better differentiation between the explosions. Demo mission tweaked a bit.

Thanks Armaholic.com for hosting notworthy.gif

Oh, Jeezaz, thanks! I was really looking foward for this! You can also set carbombs using the script! So I'm pretty happy. thumbs-up.gif

Careful with the explosion "Bo_GBU12_LGB" which seems to crash the client in a network game.

Hoz

I really wish there was more explosive ordnance in the game. It was hard trying to find something between medium and huge.

Agreed. Medium and large look pretty the same and Huge is just... Huge!

Anyway, is there any variable which represents the unit who activated the bomb?

For example, a trigger which is activated when "Anybody" passes by:

Init: [unit, "small"] exec "ied.sqs"

And in "unit" place, It'd be the unit who passed by the trigger. That way you could make minefields.

There's an Anybody Present option in the triggers. The object you send to the script isn't what triggers it, it's what blows up.

For a roadside bomb for example, you put down a radio object (or something small) name it theBomb. Put a trigger near it set to Anybody: Present then in the OnAct: field put [theBomb, "Medium"] exec "ied.sqs"

Huge is really only useful for like a truckbomb, I went through all the HE weapons in the game, there really isn't a large enough variety to get a good spread in the sizes.

I'll make another version where you can send it the object and what type of ordnance you want to go off, so when addons come out you can create more types of explosions.

I got it, Jeevz, the problem is that it blows a specific object, so it'd piss me off trying to place and name lots of radios and triggers.

You just got me wrong.

I want it to blow the unit who activated the trigger.

OK, I see what you mean. I'm not sure how to pass it an "anybody", I'll look into it.

Just as a note Jeevz I just downloaded your new version and it contains the UPS.sqs (by Kronzky) readme instead of yours.

Just as a note Jeevz I just downloaded your new version and it contains the UPS.sqs (by Kronzky) readme instead of yours.

i was wondering about tht, but the instructions were also in the script.

Well what i did to test is i made an barrel at the side of the road with the trigger activated by the west.

Small - Grenade sound barrel hardly moves

Medium - The Barrel Sets on Fire thats all

Large - The barrel explodes sending sharpnell into the first Humvee stopping it

Huge - Takes out the Humvee completely taking a few building with it and anything near bye wow_o.gif also completely disabling the second Humvee yay.gif

i made 2 videos of huge.. will upload it asap tounge2.gif

Whoops, thanks for the heads up. I'll test the d30 ammo and fix that this evening.

Yes, the included mission uses Kronzky's awesome script. So I guess I grabbed the wrong readme confused_o.gif

Small works good for a simulated tripwires or suicide bombers. Have a guy run into a crowd and activate the script with small.

Nice script, i added it in my upcoming coop mission, operation Gothic Serpent. Now the convoy has to fear more then militia members with ak's wink_o.gif

Check out my small vid i made with the IED script. The IED in the movie is a barrel.

IED Video ArmA [Rightclick-Save As]

Nice vid, that huge explosion is devastating biggrin_o.gif

I have an idea to make the different explosions more, well, different. I'll write it at work :P and test it when I get home.

very nice script smile_o.gif.

hopefuly you can expand on it and use the typeof to select the explosion for you smile_o.gif

something like

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">? typeof _thevictim == "HMMV" : goto "hmmvex"

where hmmvex will select good ammo for ied to blast it

What I may end up doing is making a package of scripts for handling different things. I've also got requests to be able to make the IED's destructable by shooting them or blowing them up which would be great for an IED hunting mission.

First things first, I have to differentiate the explosions better but I think I have that figured out.

Well what i did to test is i made an barrel at the side of the road with the trigger activated by the west.

Small - Grenade sound barrel hardly moves

Medium - The Barrel Sets on Fire thats all

Large - The barrel explodes sending sharpnell into the first Humvee stopping it

Huge - Takes out the Humvee completely taking a few building with it and anything near bye wow_o.gif also completely disabling the second Humvee yay.gif

i made 2 videos of huge.. will upload it asap tounge2.gif

Not really, Medium still gives a good explosion, i have 2 barrels 5 meters apart from eachother, about 3 meters from the road and they damage my humvee good enough so it wont drive anymore :P

I've also got requests to be able to make the IED's destructable by shooting them or blowing them up which would be great for an IED hunting mission.

trigger cond: this && alive bombobject && alive bomber

'this' is the usual.

'alive bombobject' requires that the bomb be alive, so if you shoot it first it wont detonate.

'alive bomber' is the same as above, but affects the unit that sets off the bomb (in case of remote detonated IEDs). It can also be used on some kind of sensor object in case of a dumbbomb.

Works for me, and it lets my players avoid certain death by keeping their peepers open.

Thanks for a great script dude, you and Kronzky made my mission editing a whole lot easier.

You're welcome, thanks for that condition line. I started working on an IED hunting mission last night and came up with something similar though not as elegant.

1.2 is pretty much ready to go, the explosions are differentiated better and the included mission is polished a touch. I've got one more thing to work out on it and I'll post the update.

The call will still be the same so you can just replace the sqs file if you are using the current version in a mission.