Sign in to follow this  
kronzky

The 5-Minute Mission Maker

Hi Kronzky,

i'm an Italian gamer and i would like to thank you for your oustanding work. Now i'm using only your AI model in my custom missions and the fun is always great!

A new dimension has been added to Arma and i have really appreciated your easy way to tweak AI behaviour, not too much invasive, (i hate a heavy script driven AI).

Please reconsider the intention to leave the forum and please keep up the good work.

If not, i hope you will share your efforts somewhere.

Cheers

Giorgio

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody!

It's good to hear that my little script is so appreciated, and that it does increase your ArmA enjoyment...

But don't worry about me abandoning ArmA - that's not gonna happen! I'm having way too much fun playing it, and developing stuff for it. It's just these forums that were draining the fun out of it.

I guess I was a bit spoiled, coming from VBS, where you had a tightly knit and adult community. (And that alone was worth the price of admission!) So when I think about "community" I think about people actually working together, not the constant in-fighting and bitching that's going on here...

But I don't want to turn this into another crank thread - I'm just saying that I will still do work for (and play with) ArmA - I'm just looking for a more mature place to hang out at...

Kronzky, excellent coding.

I've been messing around with this in MP trying to make an ongoing 'skirmish' with respawning units and vehicles.. pretty good results although the bots in vehicles sometimes forget their objectives and just sit there after a few respawns. I'm curious if you have any input on this behavior or have any plans to make this for MP.

Nice job on the script again!!

You could come over to 6thSense.eu and develop together with me smile_o.gif If ur a coop lover... But that's a bit smaller than the official BIS forums smile_o.gif

Ofpec.com is afaik a good editor resource and place to be, but i'm not sure as the last thing I heard was that it was getting full with ppl that are only asking questions but not doing much else (like brainstorming together to get new ideas) smile_o.gif (But don't pin me on this as I have little knowledge of things going on over there biggrin_o.gif)

I know what you mean about these forums though smile_o.gif I try to look through and just think that bitching is in human nature and try to set myself aside from the 100's of bitch and whine topics, is hard at times I Must add smile_o.gif

BTW, The BIS forums, to my opinion, do not generally represent the "OFP/ArmA Community" of which ppl hear much about... I guess the vets, the mod/addon groups etc. are all pulled back in their own little nest/home/forum/website developping, sharing, discussing etc. etc. while they only post releases on here, and some side-discussions, but that's just how I experience it..

Hi Kronzky - I'm very intrigued by this script, but being very new to the the ArmA world I'm having trouble getting started. I've followed your instructions, made a scripts folder, put the file in it, load up ArmA, go to the editor but it looks exactly the same as before, I can't see any options concerning your script?

Please treat me as someone who clearly doesn't understand scripts etc as I'm so new to this, I think perhaps a lot of the more experienced players out there take this for granted!

Help please, cus I really like the idea of your work!

Cheers

Johnny

Update: I've managed to make the marker square, and I type in the [this,"x"] exec "ups.sqs" for the squad leaders init, save the mission, but when I load to play I get a message saying "cannot find ups.sqs" ?

Any ideas? I've put your download sqs file in a folder I made called "scripts" in my docs/arma so I don't know why it's not finding it. Am I making a basic error somewhere?

VERY interesting script. Still testing, i'm impressed so far.

I think that a worth addition can be providing a couple options to hook scripts to groups depending on wether enemy is spotted or no enemies are on sight (ONENEMYDETECTED ? ONENEMYCLEARED ?). May be useful to have for example "cargo" units disembark / re-embark, to call reinforcements, to communicate custom messages ...

Plz keep updating your script and adding features, we definetely need something like that ...

Actually, you can do most of these things already.

The patrolling doesn't have to start at the beginning of the mission. You can have units stand guard somewhere, or move them around via waypoints, and only when a certain condition is met (some trigger condition for example) do you then initiate the script.

You also have the ability to stop the patrolling at any point, or to change the marker's positions or size. So this would be a good method to react to spotted players. You could also check the behaviour mode of the units. As they start out in Safe mode, and switch to Alert if they spot an enemy, this would be an indication that something has happened in the meantime.

Also, there is a global variable for each active area that indicates whether that area has been cleared of enemies or not, so you can use that to make further mission decisions.

Or course, these options are a bit more complicated to integrate into your mission than the standard patrolling behaviour, but they are documented in the readme, and the demo missions (especially the one for dynamic script control) show example implementations of them.

I'm not sure if I would want to add any further features though, because then the whole user-interface and the documentation becomes just way too overwhelming. I'd rather have it do one thing really well, and be fairly simple to use, rather than trying to be all things to all people, only to have it suffocate on its own complexity, and scaring everybody off with a 50-page manual...

I'd rather have it do one thing really well, and be fairly simple to use, rather than trying to be all things to all people, only to have it suffocate on its own complexity, and scaring everybody off with a 50-page manual...

that's a very good approach

simple is also more easy to adapt to target use, while complex solutions tend to dictate use

QuietMan

Update: I've managed to make the marker square, and I type in the [this,"x"] exec "ups.sqs" for the squad leaders init, save the mission, but when I load to play I get a message saying "cannot find ups.sqs" ?

Any ideas? I've put your download sqs file in a folder I made called "scripts" in my docs/arma so I don't know why it's not finding it. Am I making a basic error somewhere?

As I've seen, there's only a "ups-f.sqf" included in the download (using V1.7.0 / 2007-02-11), I replaced the "ups-f.sqs" in the inits with "ups-f.sqf" and it worked fine for me.

What's up with this?

Anyway, great script! smile_o.gif

Hi,

I downloaded the v1.7 of your script.

In the European version 1.4, I cannot perform your third step :

(3. Create a game logic, named "server", that initialized the script: nul=["init"] execVM "ups-f.sqf")

Indeed, I cannot find how to create a Game Logic (no present in the Unit Selection of my Editor)...

Can you help me or would it be a lack in the last release of the Game ?

I already tried in my German version of the game your previous version (before conversion to sqf syntax) but at this time, this third step was not required if I well remember).

Sorry if I am too much novice with the editing stuffs (but that's what I appreciate so much your work to facilitate editing work notworthy.gif )

To be able to place a Game Logic, you need to have a unit set to "Player" available. This also goes for placing Empty units (or objects etc).

Good luck. smile_o.gif

/Wolfrug

Sorry, still don't find how to place a Game Logic in my Editor while I have already a unit set to player as you adviced... No object available to setup either.

I wonder what's wrong here.

Wouldn't I suppose to find the Game Logic by inserting a new Unit in the map ?

Update : spotted the problem by re-reading your advice : I setup first a unit "playable" and then another unit where this time Game Logic was available.

Thank you very much mate Wolfrug smile_o.gif

Hi - I'm having some trouble with the 1.7 version of the script. I cannot get a custom mission to start - I continue to recieve an error message stating that the script requires a game logic named 'server.' I have one on the game map named server, using nul=["init"] execVM "ups-f.sqf" in the init line. I can run the demo missions included with the script with no problems, but cannot create my own. I'm pretty new to calling any kind of scripts and have never needed to use the game logic object before. I'm sure I'm making some kind of simple mistake, but any assistance or suggestions from the community would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You should first create the player, and then you will be able to place a Game Logic on the map.

The selector window for a Game Logic looks like this:

GL_server.gif

Once it is placed on the map it will be marked by a big blue flag:

game_logic.jpg

Kronzky,

Great script!

A few of us are still waiting for the ability to use this in MP on a dedicated server.

ETA on a version that will fully support this?

Quote[/b] ]A few of us are still waiting for the ability to use this in MP on a dedicated server.

ETA on a version that will fully support this?

Have you tried the latest version?

AFAIK (going by the emails I'm getting) it's been fully compatible for a while now.

If you do still run into issues with MP, send me an email with details, and I'll look into it.

No we didn't, I was skimming the release notes and I didn't find anything that mentioned MP fixes so I never tried It. Sorry if I misread something. Skimming is always dangerous.

I'm excited! We'll try it!

As the last ArmA patches brought with them some new capabilities, and since not all the recent enhancements of the Urban Patrol Script had been documented here before, here's a quick heads-up of what's been added in the last few updates:

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>• Optimized SQF code which can handle hundreds of units

• Full MP-compatibility

• Rotated markers are read automatically

• Markers are hidden by default

• Patrol areas are updated immediately if markers are moved/resized

• "Area cleared" triggers are off by default

• Vehicles can be positioned randomly

• Units can be ordered to start/stop their patrolling at any time

• Enhanced tracking information (for testing missions)</span>

The latest version is available, as always, on my site.

Awesome Stuff, without your amazing scripts my missions wouldn't be anything.. great stuff

Nice to see this precious and useful script keeps being updated. Thank you Kronzy.

Yup agree! smile_o.gif

Wonderful script you made there Kronzky! thumbs-up.gif

Thanks for the update Kronzky!

/KC