Sign in to follow this  
USMCRP3

F35B US Marine Corps MAW

Guest RKSL-Rock
I've had some electronic interactions with RockofSL, he mentioned his team is building the full F35 variants, i.e.: A, B and C. The community should be able to customize his F35's useless he is planning on encrypting it.

I didn’t say we were making all the versions, I just explained to you what Lockheed had changed on all the airframes.

Initially we are only looking at UK equipment so it’s unlikely that I'll bother modelling the A or C variants. Besides the fuselage is almost completely different between the A/C and the B models. It means making another complete model, something that I don't have time to do given our project list.

As for the community customising my models; it’s against my policy to let others hack our stuff about. Although we will be making the 3D VTOL system available to those who ask permission but the models definitely won’t be up for modification.

I fear we are going to have far too many attempts at this (death by pieces), when the ArmA community needs to pool together and create a well developed unified F/A-35 addon that contains all three variants.

Variety to some degree does significantly help the progression of more content and better quality. But we seriously do not need 5 or 6 different addon versions of the same aircraft made.

I believe the frustrating issue of too many "m4" weapon addons for OFP highlights well my request that community addon/mod makers pull together to produce a high quality F/A-35 addon with all three variants for ArmA.

Guest RKSL-Rock
I fear we are going to have far too many attempts at this (death by pieces), when the ArmA community needs to pool together and create a well developed unified F/A-35 addon that contains all three variants.

Variety to some degree does significantly help the progression of more content and better quality.  But we seriously do not need 5 or 6 different addon versions of the same aircraft made.

I believe the frustrating issue of too many "m4" weapon addons for OFP highlights well my request that community addon/mod makers pull together to produce a high quality F/A-35 addon with all three variants for ArmA.

Nice speech and as much as i know some people would agree with you, i dont see them doing much to actively collaborate.  Just talking alot.  Personally, and take this anyway you will, I doubt it will ever happen as you want.  Various teams "compete" to get out the best addon, they always have.  I think a little competition is a good thing.  I'm all for helping others but every time people have 'adapted/modified/improved' other peoples work it just turns into a slanging match.  I made the decision to make all my own models rather than use others and not let others modify our stuff after FFUR's high handed approach to community made addons.

USMCRP3 contacted me about collaboration but after a very brief investigation there isn’t much that he could offer us.  Our models are 90% complete including the recent design changes to the –B airframe and really only need texturing.  Once the ARMA mod tools are out we'll be looking at porting our existing 3D VTOL system into ArmA from the OFP Betas.  With the best will in the world USMCRP3 couldn’t offer us anything that would improve or add to our plans.

As I said before I'm happy to help others implement the things we've developed like Proper 3D VTOL, Sea Skimming Missiles, Fire Controlled SAMs, AWACS etc into their own stuff as long as they don’t modify and re-release RKSL addons.  Its that lack of respect that has prevented me from releasing more into OFP.

If anyone wants to make the A & C versions for their own countries and needs the latest info feel free to PM me and I’ll try to help you out as much as i can with the info and research materials I have.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with having several different incarnations of an addon. If you used that logic, then there'd be no reason to do addons in the first place. Why do we need another AH-1? We already have one in ArmA. Why do we need another Harrier? We already have one. Why do we need another soldier? We already have several soldiers! And so on.

For an aircraft such as the F-35, I hardly see any problem with several artists doing their own incarnation of it. You do addon making for yourself, not for other people.

Apologies for the semi-off topic rant, but I get real annoyed with folks who insist that it's wrong for there to be multiple versions of an addon.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Intriguing that you are 90% complete with your F35B model being that the contractor does not know the actual structure type yet??? Also, nothing personal but we found you to be a tad bit arrogant and we are releaved that you desided against collaborating. You are very talented however.

No Intrigue what’s so ever.  All the major planned changes are in the public eye now and Lockheed have long since locked the major design changes down in the new spec.  If you are in contact with Lockheed you would know that. They have also been very generous with information in the last 2 months providing hi-res plans and pics to most all that asked and especially to several magazines like Flight International.

Nothing personal taken, but again being just as honest, the standard and lack of accuracy of your model didn’t give me confidence of a fair and equal collaboration.  But instead I gave you direct links to the latest info and a short list of all the major changes. I was going to give you all 240mb of my reference information to help you, but your last few posts really haven’t endeared you to me.

Regardless good look with your F-35B.

hope this is not going to end in a my-thing-is-better-than-your-thing...

My advice is everyone intentionally force "temporary memory loss" regarding this topic thread and when the development tools are available, the community starts a F/A-35 project.

At the early stages of the project, there is open ended competition for the best F/A-35 addon regarding three or four major criteria.

Each person attempting this must do ALL three variants, as different invididuals producing different variant models probably would cause significant differences in appearance and increase the number of unecessary additional textures needed.

It will be a grueling task, but well worth it if each person competing must do all three variants.

Here should be the critera focus for the "looks" and basic function part:

#1 Criteria: Best External model and textures

#2 Criteria: Best modeling and animation of aircraft doors (Flight control surfaces, Weapons bay, landing gear, lift fan cover, thrust control (B version))

#3 Criteria: Cockpit modeling and textures, functionability of displays could be suspended until the best "choice" is selected.

After the best aircraft addon is chosen for being the best of all three of these criteria, the winning design must then be accepted. If other addon makers disagree with this, they can freely continue work on it by themselves or with other people.

After that, it's developing and deciding which are the best parts and subsystems to put on the addon.

Keep in mind people the focus is to develop the best addon that will serve the vast majority of the needs and wants when you are using it in ArmA.

My view is if you don't want to be cursing constantly at a "half baked" ArmA aircraft not performing as it should or missing critical components or features, then support a community "joint" approach to this.

JAM and CAVS succeeded as standardization community projects which are widely used by addon makers for OFP, I see no reason why that can't be applied for the F/A-35 and ArmA aircraft as well.

Guest RKSL-Rock
My advice is everyone intentionally force "temporary memory loss" regarding this topic thread and when the development tools are available, the community starts a F/A-35 project.

At the early stages of the project, there is open ended competition for the best F/A-35 addon regarding three or four major criteria.

Each person attempting this must do ALL three variants, as different invididuals producing different variant models probably would cause significant differences in appearance and increase the number of unecessary additional textures needed.

It will be a grueling task, but well worth it if each person competing must do all three variants.

Here should be the critera focus for the "looks" and basic function part:

#1 Criteria:  Best External model and textures

#2  Criteria:  Best modeling and animation of aircraft doors (Flight control surfaces, Weapons bay, landing gear, lift fan cover, thrust control (B version))

#3 Criteria:  Cockpit modeling and textures, functionability of displays could be suspended until the best "choice" is selected.

After the best aircraft addon is chosen for being the best of all three of these criteria, the winning design must then be accepted.  If other addon makers disagree with this, they can freely continue work on it by themselves or with other people.

After that, it's developing and deciding which are the best parts and subsystems to put on the addon.

Keep in mind people the focus is to develop the best addon that will serve the vast majority of the needs and wants when you are using it in ArmA.

My view is if you don't want to be cursing constantly at a "half baked" ArmA aircraft not performing as it should or missing critical components or features, then support a community "joint" approach to this.

JAM and CAVS succeeded as standardization community projects which are widely used by addon makers for OFP, I see no reason why that can't be applied for the F/A-35 and ArmA aircraft as well.

@USMCRP I apologise for the thread hijack but i really feel this needs to be said.

I tell you what Havoc, why don’t you just go ahead and make your own F-35 with all the variants, with all your competition criteria, then come back and talk about what we should do.

First you made yourself out to be an aerospace expert, which you patently proved you weren’t.  Now you are billing yourself as a “Naval Expertâ€, which you’ve admitted is solely based on playing computer games and now you are dictating what people should make and how they should go about it, as though you are the forum guru and voice of the community.  You are the one that needs to forget about this thread.

In the past you made promises to the FLK team about your scripting prowess that you never delivered on, you've promised all sorts of community information services at your website but none appeared after 2 years... why don't you just butt out with your opinions about what we should do and actually try making addons.

Since I respect your work and you personally, and wish not to turn this into a flamewar. I will ignore the tone of this comment.

This was just my hopeful opinion for what to happen regarding the F/A-35, nothing more here. Everyone is entitled to their own view to a "reasonable" extent.

Regarding the FW mod, I voluntarily pulled myself out. I never stated I was a scripting master, and if I did it was a mistake or trying to be humorus. I left FW Mod because I wasn't progressing far enough into my skills to be effective anymore, thus backlog built up and frustration lead to me deciding to step down.

If you're looking for help on what I'm talking about, I will contribute what I can to help. However, unless someone asks me a question in this topic about the F/A-35, this is the last post I will do on this topic thread.

The project of the F35B will cease for the BIS community, it will only be available in VBS1 and VBS2, admin please delete this post, thanks. My apologies to the BIS community on this, however, VBS now owns all rights to my models.

sad_o.gif

Why ?

Because of RockofSL comments ?

I think I understand your choice but please consider the following:

Is it "possible" that you are about to do exactly what he wanted you to do in the end...?

Just think about it...

And good luck for your future projects.

Guest RKSL-Rock
The project of the F35B will cease for the BIS community, it will only be available in VBS1 and VBS2, admin please delete this post, thanks. My apologies to the BIS community on this, however, VBS now owns all rights to my models.

sad_o.gif  

Why ?

Because of RockofSL comments ?

I think I understand your choice but please consider the following:

Is it "possible" that you are about to do exactly what he wanted you to do in the end...?

Just think about it...

And good luck for your future projects.

I didnt want him to do anything and i certainly was plotting to stop him from making an F-35.   All i did was correct his statement about my intentions with our F-35 Model.  If he wants to withdrawn his support for the ArmA community its up to him.  Please dont read things into my motivations that just arent true.

As for VBS2 - its not going to be a public product.  Only Police and militaries will be able to buy it.  BIA already made that statement.

Yes, it's way over the top to try and paint RockSL as some sort of arch puppet master. It's also unfair to call him arrogant, just because he has faith in his own work.

I've been in the position where people have effectively said my work was not up to their standard. Instead of sulking over it, I vowed to prove them wrong.

I've also been in the unfortunate position of turning down requests for collaboration. Not through spite, but Simple because it was my honest opinion. If you can't commit yourself 100% to a project, then you’re probably doing them a greater injustice, if you mislead and lie.

If you truly believe your work is of a suitable standard, then release it. In the long run, quality speaks for itself. You would be doing a disservice to these forums, to suggest otherwise.