Tavi

Active Protection Systems

The lack of anti-missile countermeasures in Cold War Crisis made any tank a deathtrap. I think it would add a lot to the gameplay if this feature was made available. An example of Active Protection System is the Russian ARENA, normally found on the T-90. It consists of a small radar used to detect any incoming projectiles and several protective grenades which are fired in a salvo in front of the incoming projectile (usually a missile) to either eliminate or reduce the effect of the shaped charge.

arena-on-T-80U.jpg

edit: pasted the wrong url to the picture. Thanks Jezz.

uhm, any tank is a deathtrap if you go up against modern anti tank weapons.

You're not supposed to get into that situation to begin with wink_o.gif

Arena has only be mounted on the T-80BM1 and T-80UM1 never the T-90 from what i know whats in your picture is the Droyzd system mounted on the T-80UM2 there are T-55 and t-62 varients also. Not as effect as arena but cheaper. the t-90s anti missile system is Shtora which guides the incoming missile off target.

Are you a beta tester for Armed Assault?

PS According to this link: The T-90 also uses the Shtora-1 countermeasures suite as well as the ARENA hard

kill Anti-Missile defensive system.

Moreover, according to Wikipedia: The Arena Active Protection System (APS) is an active countermeasure system developed at Russia's Kolomna-based Engineering Design Bureau to provide anti-missile defense for T-90 tanks.

Then why can't I find a picture of a T-90 using ARENA?!?

It's not lack of proper countermeasures that makes the tanks a deathtrap in OFP, it's the lack of proper vehicle armor modelling and overpowered AT weaponry. You could probably hit a T72 frontally with a dozen or so LAWs in real life before you did any real damage to it (barring a lucky critical hit), but all OFP players know it takes exactly three LAWs anywhere on an OFP T72 to kill it.

To improve tanks in ArAs, proper armor modelling needs to be incorporated into vehicles, AT weapons need much lower accuracy (we've all sniped BMPs with LAWs from 500m in OFP) and a new hit/kill system for heavy weaponry. Often HE rounds are more effective against vehicles than AT rounds are because of blast radius and indirect hit damage inflicted by those weapons. Armor should have at least two damage ratings - one for kinetic rounds (AP, APFSDS, KE) and one for chemical energy rounds (HE, HEAT).

Only after that's properly done should we worry about Active Defense Systems, which are exceedingly rare in reality.

The reason you cant find a t-90 with arena mounted is because i dont believe there a t-90 model with arena yet. Arena was designed to fit t-72,t-80,t-90 but as i said it has only been fitted to the t-80 so far i blieve. Im not entirly sure if the t-90 is in full serivce with the russian army, maybe only in small numbers like the bmp-3 bmd-3. T-80U's are a far more comman sight.

I wish i was a armed assault beta tester then i might actully be hopeful for this game coming out any time soon sad_o.gif .

try VITAPC pack (only pc version of ofp so far), the bmp3 arena has such a system there.

The RHS T-80 pack will also feature tanks with ARENA and SHTORA systems (only for BIS AT weapons though) smile_o.gif

The RHS T-80 pack will also feature tanks with ARENA and SHTORA systems (only for BIS AT weapons though) smile_o.gif

I hope you also support JAM and Kegety's rounds, as they are used for allot of missions. maybe even suchey's and earl too, unless it makes the script too heavy.

Didn't Liberation '45 model in proper armour for tanks? I'm sure they did (well, I've been told they have). Ie it's thicker on the front than the back and sides, and takes more hits and so on, sometimes even making the thing richochet (actually I vaigely remember seeing something like that when I used to make tank battles against zee Germans with the T-34's).

Maybe if you're up on editing you could somehow implement the scripts on modern armour?

EDIT: Oh, and one other reason CWC lacked any sort of counter-messures was because of the time period. As far as I know, ARENA and similar systems are a pretty recent development, at least when it comes to fielding them. I'm sure they didn't have them in 1982/5 when the game is set.

but all OFP players know it takes exactly three LAWs anywhere on an OFP T72 to kill it.

Except you.. i used 2 LAW's to kill it.. wink_o.giftounge2.gifnener.gif

EDIT: Oh, and one other reason CWC lacked any sort of counter-messures was because of the time period. As far as I know, ARENA and similar systems are a pretty recent development, at least when it comes to fielding them. I'm sure they didn't have them in 1982/5 when the game is set.

Maybe ARENA, but Drozd was installed on navy T-55's in the early 1980's and CWC takes place in 1985. Anyway, having such system on your tank makes a huge difference. I've seen a video of ARENA APS reducing a Shturm ATGM's penetrating power to nothing. crazy_o.gif

Here it is:

http://perso.numericable.fr/vfofanov/Tanks/IMAGES/arena003.avi

The topic will be more appropriate in the Next Gen Game forum.

Quote[/b] ]The topic will be more appropriate in the Next Gen Game forum.

Erm this is the next gen forum (Well thats what it says at the top of my page) biggrin_o.gif

Next gen has a t-90 in the screenshots so hopefully they will have the anti missile systems and smoke launchers on vehicles

I don't understand why this thread was moved in this section. Is it because it's impossible to implement this idea in ArmA?

It is because suggestions are not allowed to be made for ArmA due to the fact it is (probably) already complete. But there is a lot of time until NGenG so it is possible to include this in that game instead. wink_o.gif

Caz

Quote[/b] ]why this thread was moved in this section. Is it because it's impossible to implement this idea in ArmA?

its need to be a invisible shild in AA, neeeeeed!