Sign in to follow this  
Bordoy

German Christmas Market

You won't find Lederhosen in other parts than Bavaria wink_o.gif

only in southern bavaria. and mainly for tourists. wink_o.gif

Lol Central European Christmas markets are like those South American pan pipe players you see playing on the streets of every big city in Europe....They're everywhere biggrin_o.gif

I gotta say I ain't keen on German food. The only thing I like is apfelstrudel with custard mmmmmmmmmmmmmm smile_o.gif

I prefer more Southern food, Italian, Spanish, French. Way more flavour. You Northerners don't know good food tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]but I hope the English people will enjoy it even more!

Well i think the people drinking the beer and Gluwein are enjoying themselves tounge_o.gif

You are wrong of course! You germans need some "germanification" because we don't believe you are german enough.

Too many üs and you will be regarded as a Turk... biggrin_o.gif

Perhaps we should return to an even older form of language... e.g. Thür und Thor. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Where's your lederhosen by the way tounge_o.gif

Ohh, come on! That are our "Southerners" who do such silly things. They have the Oktoberfest, too. The rest of us is somehow unspectacular (ok, that explains alot regarding the souvenir factor). biggrin_o.gif

And for the beer... there are around 5000 brands of beer in Germany such as...

...Herrenhäuser (Herri Hörnerbier --Herri horns beer; because of the day after; alternatively you can call it Friedhofsbeer (graveyard beer) because of the location of their spring.)

...Zwergenbräu (dwarf brew)

...Flensburger Weizen (yes, the North can, too!)

A lot to do --let's drink it! tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Too many üs and you will be regarded as a Turk... biggrin_o.gif

hëhë - Äf ˙öü sä˙ sö biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]A lot to do --let's drink it! tounge_o.gif

I hope I get this one right: auf ihre gesundheit!

I hope I get this one right: auf ihre gesundheit!

Ŕ votre santé? That's very elegant.

Normally you just can say "Zum Wohl" or "Prost".

Danke schön Bastler!

Bordoy!

Bring a camera and take some pictures will you please?

only in southern bavaria. and mainly for tourists.  wink_o.gif

and in all beate uhse shop  wink_o.gif

Danke schön Bastler!

Bordoy!

Bring a camera and take some pictures will you please?

I'll try no guarantees, because my mums camera and she don't like anyone borrowing it. I dont know how to get pics off my phone onto PC?

Okay wait up here... Wheinachtsmarkt is not a bavarian festival.... it is a national thing and the bavarians should keep their culturally dominant mouth shut for a while.

A weihnachtsmarkt is not a beer festival serving fresh bretzels and weißwurst. No oversized, overblond, overloud bavarian waitresses are serving and there is definetly no terrible bavarian music...

of course the bavarians insist that the best christmasmarket is located in Nürenberg but I strongly disagree. There are hundred great ones out there, from west to east, from south to north and each region has its own specialities. The town where I come from is known for its Printen, a very special gingerbread.

I realy like this thread but I realy get pissed if the bavarians claim (as always) ... "yeah zhat iz typical bavarian, you zee!" biggrin_o.gif

By the way, do any of you swedes or norwegians know if Glühwein is something like Glřgg/Glögg?

Same thing - only it tastes better and actually has alcohol. It's also easy to prepare yourself. All you need is some spices, some fruits, lots of cheap (of the 1 litre for 50 cents kind) red wine and a big pot to heat it in.

Edit: BTW: I think you'd find most people from Nürnberg disagreeing with you calling them 'bavarians'. Most would actually be quite insulted!

Edit: BTW: I think you'd find most people from Nürnberg disagreeing with you calling them 'bavarians'. Most would actually be quite insulted!

Thats the purpose tounge_o.gif it is in bavaria and therefore they are bavarians (or Franken or whatever ). biggrin_o.gif

And in germany you can very well get pretty much drunk from Glühwein ... and happens to me every 23rd of december.

meh...what i really miss about living abroad is a solid english breakfast,...

Oh no! Not that English breakfast again! crazy_o.gif

I would have killed for a reasonable continental brakfast when I was in England! I can't stand those baked beans and little sausages which tasted like a mix of pure fat and flour! crazy_o.gif

The taste of baked beans in my mouth stayed for a whole week no matter how many times I brushed my teeth! tounge_o.gif

I would have killed for a reasonable continental brakfast when I was in England! I can't stand those baked beans and little sausages which tasted like a mix of pure fat and flour! crazy_o.gif

The taste of baked beans in my mouth stayed for a whole week no matter how many times I brushed my teeth! tounge_o.gif

I am fine with a british breakfast. It is kind of very heavy and very greasy but for a brunch it is just fine. However the sausages are terrible. Not because the brits like it that way but because those are the sausages they get in the shops. Give them small little Bratwursts and they are just as happy.

Give them small little Bratwursts and they are just as happy.

Nürnberger Rostbratwürstchen?

There's still Austria . . . biggrin_o.gif

Well I ain't running around in Lederhosen too

alpentracht.jpg

Me and my brother (j/k) smile_o.gif

Okay wait up here... Wheinachtsmarkt is not a bavarian festival....

Of course not. We have them too, as have many European cities, I think. While they are called Christkindlmarkt in Austria or maybe specifically in Vienna, you'll find really lots of them around. Unfortunately a tourist will only find the expensive ones that are meant to attract tourists. But there are several others, around twenty or more alone in Vienna, that are very small and really nice to visit and drink Glühwein and Punsch smile_o.gif

You'll also find lots of traditional food there, like Kärntner Kasnudeln or similar things. Hell I love it biggrin_o.gif

I wish we had something like that in Norway sad_o.gif

Most people here only wander around like zombies in the shopping malls outside the city center - buying christmas marsipan pigs wrapped in "christmas paper" put out in the windows in august sad_o.gif

And norwegian food is ............nothing really!

Okay wait up here... Wheinachtsmarkt is not a bavarian festival.... it is a national thing and the bavarians should keep their culturally dominant mouth shut for a while.

A weihnachtsmarkt is not a beer festival serving fresh bretzels and weißwurst. No oversized, overblond, overloud bavarian waitresses are serving and there is definetly no terrible bavarian music...

of course the bavarians insist that the best christmasmarket is located in Nürenberg but I strongly disagree. There are hundred great ones out there, from west to east, from south to north and each region has its own specialities. The town where I come from is known for its Printen, a very special gingerbread.

I realy like this thread but I realy get pissed if the bavarians claim (as always) ... "yeah zhat iz typical bavarian, you zee!"  biggrin_o.gif

Didn`t they still claim theire Bavarian Kingdom. rock.gif

Maybe they should seperate from Germany and take Edmund Stoiber as theire King? wink_o.gif

I am fine with a british breakfast. It is kind of very heavy and very greasy but for a brunch it is just fine. However the sausages are terrible. Not because the brits like it that way but because those are the sausages they get in the shops. Give them small little Bratwursts and they are just as happy.

Depends where you get your sausages mate. One b&b had crap sausages which were so bad u couldnt eat them. or another b&b i went to had really nice tasty sausages

Indeed, British sausages are very good if you buy them from the right place, however most places you go to eat only use the comercial supermarket-bought sauages because they keep in a freezer and are much cheaper yet are of a poor quality because of the meat that's used to make them.

Personally I have no complaint eating them, I just know they're not any good.

Luckilly I have 2 friends who are butchers so I get proper sausages made from decent cuts of pork quite cheaply. wink_o.gif

I realy like this thread but I realy get pissed if the bavarians claim (as always) ... "yeah zhat iz typical bavarian, you zee!" biggrin_o.gif

wow_o.gif i hope you did not mean me wink_o.gif

if so we'd have to discuss a while... better via PM to let this thread on topic smile_o.gif

Indeed, British sausages are very good if you buy them from the right place, however most places you go to eat only use the comercial supermarket-bought sauages because they keep in a freezer and are much cheaper yet are of a poor quality because of the meat that's used to make them.

Personally I have no complaint eating them, I just know they're not any good.

Luckilly I have 2 friends who are butchers so I get proper sausages made from decent cuts of pork quite cheaply. wink_o.gif

Quite True indeed.

Well the market has been going for about a week and a half now and it seemed alot more busy today. So good news there.

I realy like this thread but I realy get pissed if the bavarians claim (as always) ... "yeah zhat iz typical bavarian, you zee!"  biggrin_o.gif

wow_o.gif i hope you did not mean me  wink_o.gif

if so we'd have to discuss a while... better via PM to let this thread on topic  smile_o.gif

pah... on topic.. biggrin_o.gif I say bavarians always claim cultural superiority!!!

Is that on topic enoug for ya? mad_o.giftounge_o.gif

(no, didnt mean you. I was refering to Borody talking of a weihnachstmarket as a Beer,sausage,bretzel market (=typical bavarian).

Ha, wait until the bavarian battlesmurf resurfaces! biggrin_o.gif

Anyways, the christmas markets are a very old tradition all over Germany (and France, too). And no, while most of the art stuff sold there is prohibitive expensive, the Glühwein is dead cheap and during lunch breaks (or preferably after work) people tend to go there in big crowds to warm up and have a good time. Also there's all those winter specialities like Magenbrot, geröstete Maronen, etc. The Bratwürste you can eat all year round.