Sign in to follow this  
bedlam

ability to destroy firearms

yeah id like the ability to destroy firearms ..

by having firelod and armor settings for firearms aswell.

when destroyed its dropped..

and not able to be picked up again..

I think its a good idea but not that it would automatically drop. I would prefer if it just stoped working when it was destroyed and you could still pick it up. "Pick up M16 (destroyed)" or something. smile_o.gif

i dont really care about that "drop thing" .. just as long its destroyable.

Sounds like a lot of extra work for the engine to do (keep track of new lods and calculations for EVERY SINGLE SOLDIER ..... for what benefit? What do you see coming out of this? If the weapons are getting destroyed... the enemy probably is as well. I suppose it'd be fair enough that the weapons exposed to a huge explosion/ bomb were rendered inoperable... but I don't think that happens enough to justify the huge extra load of calculations the engine would have to do to keep track of all that.

You could add it as a random occurrence when you get hit in the arms. For example, 1 out of 10 times you get hit in the arms, the weapon suffers damage. smile_o.gif That would be a nice compromise with no real load on the engine.

baron.. its called realism.. but if thats not a thing that u want then why dont u suggest some removal of other effects...

why not a simple CS style engine.. :P

we all like ofp for its realism dont we...?

Quote[/b] ]Sounds like a lot of extra work for the engine to do (keep track of new lods and calculations for EVERY SINGLE SOLDIER ..... for what benefit?

What calculations? Gun is hit, gun is broken, poor CPU!

It would be cool if you were a sniper and saw an RPG soldier with the RPG up and ready to fire on a Hummer comign down the road. You snipe the rocket, the rocket blows up and so does the RPG soldier and 3 more in that squad. You could also make hostage missions where some lone maniac has taken several hostages and you can snipe his gun and arrest him instead of killing him. Guns that can be detroyed cant lag much more than an extra soldier can they? Would be nice if you could have it as a realism setting so you could turn it off in bigger missions.

Quote[/b] ]Sounds like a lot of extra work for the engine to do (keep track of new lods and calculations for EVERY SINGLE SOLDIER ..... for what benefit?

What calculations? Gun is hit, gun is broken, poor CPU!

If you don't know how these things are calculated, don't jump in with a load of crap.

Do you know how the engine determines if things are hit? Hit detection is one of the most engine intensive things in the game. Especially if the object is an irregular shape (like a weapon.)

Go find out how its done, then come back and tell me if you still think its a great idea.

In principle, yes, it'd be cool. In practice, its far too much work for the server/ PC.

Quote[/b] ]

It would be cool if you were a sniper and saw an RPG soldier with the RPG up and ready to fire on a Hummer comign down the road. You snipe the rocket, the rocket blows up

The rocket would NOT blow up.

Quote[/b] ]

and so does the RPG soldier and 3 more in that squad.

The rest of the squad would not be close enough to the RPG soldier to be killed by it, unless they were badly trained *cough* not mentioning any nationalities here *cough*

Quote[/b] ]

You could also make hostage missions where some lone maniac has taken several hostages and you can snipe his gun and arrest him instead of killing him. Guns that can be detroyed cant lag much more than an extra soldier can they?

1) yes, they could

2) it'd be as if EVERY SOLDIER was the equivalent of 2 soldiers (or up to 4 if he also had a handgun and an RPG)

Quote[/b] ]Would be nice if you could have it as a realism setting so you could turn it off in bigger missions.

Would be nice if we all drove around in gold plated rolls royces. Isn't going to happen though.

First you say the rocket wouldnt blow up, then you say the rest of the squad wouldnt be close enough to be damaged by the rocket that doesnt blow up?

Its funny how you say it would lagg as hell. I just created 300 AI soldiers in the game and I still had 60 FPS, except when I looked at them, then I had like 12 or something. If you can have 60 FPS with 300 soldiers I think you can have 60 FPS with 100 soldiers carrying 3 weapons each even if the weapons can be hit.

-Edit

1000 soldiers, still 60 FPS.

I would much rather have more soldiers. Frankly i think there are slliiiightly more important things. I personally dont give a **** about weapons breaking in a firefight especially the enemys.

Quote[/b] ]It would be cool if you were a sniper and saw an RPG soldier with the RPG up and ready to fire on a Hummer comign down the road. You snipe the rocket, the rocket blows up

A sniper would just shoot the soldier rather than waste time aiming at the rpg. Like the guy said the RPG wouldnt blow up just like fuel tanks dont blow up when shot either.

Quote[/b] ]You could also make hostage missions where some lone maniac has taken several hostages and you can snipe his gun and arrest him instead of killing him

Id rather keep OFP as a military game. Also all snipers shoot to kill. there are exceptions but you would never risk that kind of stuff with hostages around. Just as there is no such thing as shoot to wound

ok baron.. i suggested an idea.

i hope u got knowledge how it would work.. with all the coding and stuff .. since u say its almost impossible..

so that your not just saying "i think it is"... cause your not.

u are certain that it is.

plz say that u are familiar with ofp coding and almost a bis coder . cause u do sound like it.. with all the knowledge.

First you say the rocket wouldnt blow up, then you say the rest of the squad wouldnt be close enough to be damaged by the rocket that doesnt blow up?

Its funny how you say it would lagg as hell. I just created 300 AI soldiers in the game and I still had 60 FPS, except when I looked at them, then I had like 12 or something. If you can have 60 FPS with 300 soldiers I think you can have 60 FPS with 100 soldiers carrying 3 weapons each even if the weapons can be hit.

-Edit

1000 soldiers, still 60 FPS.

I thought it was pretty simple.

1) the RPG would not blow up

2) IF it did, which it wouldn't, it still wouldn't kill 3 other guys in the squad.

I didn't say it would 'lagg like hell' (sic) I said it was too much work for the engine. Then I suggested you learn a little about how collision detection works in games, which you obviously have not done. GO AND LEARN NOW, before you post more nonsense.

Let me make this clear:

It COULD be done. It WOULD put a lot more strain on the engine, having to do loads of extra collision detection, which is the MOST intensive thing in the engine in terms of CPU time.

And I've yet to see a decent reason for wanting it in; something that will add much to the game.

It would be nice.... but it's not needed, and it 'costs' too much.

If the RPG has a kill radius like in AA it might take out a few guys (maybe the RPG wouldnt explode, maybe it would if you shot it with explosive ammunition tounge_o.gif). How can 50 soldiers with weapons that can be shot put more "strain on the engine" than 1000 soldiers that can be hit? With 1000 soldiers I still have max FPS.

Just for fun I will no go into the editor and create 10 000 soldiers or more at the nogova airport.

There's about a 1 in a million chance the bullet would hit the right area at the right time to blow up the RPG.

Just for fun I will no go into the editor and create 10 000 soldiers or more at the nogova airport.

Thats completely impossible, but go create 3024 soldiers (756 per side, thats the max) and tell me if it lags tounge_o.gif

If the RPG has a kill radius like in AA it might take out a few guys (maybe the RPG wouldnt explode, maybe it would if you shot it with explosive ammunition tounge_o.gif). How can 50 soldiers with weapons that can be shot put more "strain on the engine" than 1000 soldiers that can be hit? With 1000 soldiers I still have max FPS.

Would you PLEASE go and find out how collision detection works?

Create your 1000 soldiers THEN GET THEM ALL TO FIRE, and see what happens.

Thats completely impossible, but go create 3024 soldiers (756 per side, thats the max) and tell me if it lags  tounge_o.gif

I dont createunit the soldiers because I dont want AI to cause lagg. I createvehicle so I only get the brainless modelles.

Quote[/b] ]Would you PLEASE go and find out how collision detection works?

I created soldiers at 10 000 meters instead. I think falling soldiers would simulate moving soldiers better than 1000 shooting soldiers would because everyone is never shooting at the same time when you have so many people on the map.

With 400 falling soldiers I still have 60 FPS, with 1000 falling soldiers I have 30 FPS.

So if we have 200 soldiers with 3 weapons each that should be almost like 400 falling soldiers, unless they fire (if the weapons that can be shot are 3 more areas to be hit on the soldier that from the start had 4?)? If some of them fire the FPS might go down to 50?

I created 10 soldiers/sec and when 1000 soldiers were in the air and the first ones started landing the FPS didnt move.

You rarely play maps with 200 soldiers and if you did it probably wouldnt lagg. If it would lagg it would still be nice to have the option to turn it on.

Instead of telling me to go read about collision detection, why dont you go read about it and PROVE me wrong.

I dont createunit the soldiers because I dont want AI to cause lagg. I createvehicle so I only get the brainless modelles.

Great test. Try not using createvehicle and see if it lags then.

Quote[/b] ]Would you PLEASE go and find out how collision detection works?

Quote[/b] ]

I created soldiers at 10 000 meters instead. I think falling soldiers would simulate moving soldiers better than 1000 shooting soldiers would because everyone is never shooting at the same time when you have so many people on the map.

Thats because YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND FUCK ALL ABOUT COLLISION DETECTION. GO AND LEARN.

Quote[/b] ]

Instead of telling me to go read about collision detection, why dont you go read about it and PROVE me wrong.

No. You're the one who knows nothing about it, YOU go learn.

I dont know sh*t about colision det. either but i know the OPF engine and i know that ingame if you shoot a soldiers gun twice he will take injury and die or that the game has poor damage values/coding. I agree that weapons could be destroyed/become disfunctional due to an explosion but more than that would be a waste of precious developing time and cpu resources, and we are talking about big style OPF engine. It will take much work to make this game with all the units and features we expect, also keep in mind that if OPF2 comes with all better modeling, texturing, colision detection, lightning efects, a.i. behaviour, ballistics, etc small and unecessary things like those can make a diference in performance too not to mention BIS already have their hands full of features to implement in the game and i dont see the ability to destry firearms has a priority or even why it would be worth the extra work or what it would add to the game.

That is my opinion on the subject smile_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Great test.  Try not using createvehicle and see if it lags then.

What does AI brain have to do with collision detection? Why do I need AI for a collision detection test?

Quote[/b] ]Thats because YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND FUCK ALL ABOUT COLLISION DETECTION.  GO AND LEARN.

I dont need to go anywhere and read to understand that bullets dont have to be involved for collision detection. Soldiers are moving objects that can hit stuff (like the ground and eachother).

It seems though that you think collision detection only matters when projectiles are involved. So just for you I replaced the falling soldier with falling LGBs (hard with bullets because they last so short). With 1000 falling LGBs I still had 60 FPS which was more than with 1000 falling soldiers. Now dont tell me I have to have AI or bullets to test collition detection because soldiers and bombs collide just as well as bullets do.

I dont think the ability to destroy weapons is so important but I do think it would be cool. I just dont want to hear that it would cause too much strain on the engine from someone who seems to know where little about it and has no proof.

Now since I have proven that you can have 60 FPS with 400 falling soldiers or 1000 falling bombs, why dont you come up with some proof to support your side?

Edit

Quote[/b] ]I can smell two PRs and +WLs coming. Cool down.

Why would I get PRed?

You still do not understand, you still have not bothered yourself to do any research at all on the subject. Until you do, you'll remain ignorant as to why your 'tests' are nothing of the sort.

Once again:

GO

AND

LEARN.

Until then, stop posting on subjects you know NOTHING about.

Quote[/b] ]I created soldiers at 10 000 meters instead.

Could you do a vidcap of that and post somewhere? It must look funny as hell!

"It's raining men! Halleluja!"

baron why dont u enlighten us with your wisdom ;)

instead of saying "i know".... go learn..

i wanna see that u do know..