Sign in to follow this  
Ian Malcolm

Sharp / smooth edges in o2

Many addons has one serious visual problem. Something what i'm calling "cushion" lighting. Models are missing sharp edges.

O2 doesn't have smoothgroups like (for example) 3DS MAX. It has just smooth (round) lighting for edge or sharp.

Again - it's not a smooth or sharp polygon, but smooth or sharp edge. It gives way more possibilities when creating model. I think best what i can do is show some exmple pics.

When you are modelling in O2, all created edges are lighted as "round". So modelled (or imported from 3DS) object looks like this one:

smooth.jpg

Wich is how most addons look.

But there is possibility add some sharp lighting at edges. Again, many model makers is it doing wrong. Selecting whole object and pressing "U" key with result like this:

sharp.jpg

But right way is select only edges (or faces) wich you want have sharp and result should be like this:

both.jpg

Good example of simple model is drink glass:

There is wireframe of it:

glass_wire.gif

In Buldozer it looks like this:

glass_smooth.jpg

There is clearly vissible how wrong it looks. There should be sharp edges at least at bottom and top of the glass. So first i selected only top points of it and give them sharp lighting and then bottom. Here's result:

glass_sharp.jpg

Now it looks right.

Key for making edges sharp in O2 is "U", make them smooth you can with "I".

If you already know it, i'm sorry to annoy you with explanation. If not, i'm glad to help.

Good luck with edges!

My 2 cents...

A simple story about wheels (in general: cylinders) and sharp&smooth edges

1. This is how it looks at the beginning (all smooth) WRONG!:

wtut00.gif

2. Ok, lets start by making sure it's all smooth (just in case):

wtut01.gif

Translation from the pic: Select the whole wheel and press I.

3. Then you have to select the cross-sections (ONE AT A TIME!) and use sharp edges on every single one of them (press U).

wtut02.gif

Selecting remaining cross sections:

http://www.flashpoint.pl/om/uploads/ag_smith/wtut/wtut03.gif

http://www.flashpoint.pl/om/uploads/ag_smith/wtut/wtut04.gif

http://www.flashpoint.pl/om/uploads/ag_smith/wtut/wtut05.gif

4. This is how it looks at the end. Much better, isn't it?

wtut06.gif

smile_o.gif

Here is another pic explaining sharp and smooth edges, made today while trying to explain this matter to someone.

sharp-smooth.gif

just to know if 3dsmax model whith smoth group are reconize by OË›, because i try to build my first addon and close the 3d model whith max

201.jpg

202.jpg

all mesh are smothing by group

As far as I know (and from what I have heard), all edges are set to default smooth when converting from 3DS/MAX format to .p3d sad_o.gif