Sign in to follow this  
Victim_913

What snow do you want?

I am working on a map and was thinking of making it a snow map. I did some retexturing for snow units and I found a major problem with snow maps.

No snow is the same. I used Namalsk as a reference but when I put the units on another snow map, the units were grayish. Basically no matter what terrain I textured to, the textures were terrible on any other map. Some maps have to have pure white, others more of a gray.

It seems like some "cheat" on the snow by making the lighting so bright the things glow. Others make it more of a desaturation of color making all things gray.

So I ask all of you guys. If I make a snow map, Which map would be best or what could I do to make my snow compatible with most snow units out there?

Thanks for ideas

Hello!

This may not be super-helpful, but instead of tailoring the snow to the mods/camos, why not pick the type of snow that you think looks best? After all, the map with textures is your artwork. 

Coming from a place that frequently becomes snowy, I can tell you this that real snow also varies a lot in color. It really depends on where you are and what the weather is like. New/fresh snow is mostly white, to the point that you can become "snowblind" if you stare at it too much (yes you burn your eyes). While realistic, it may not be very great for a game where you can't put on ski goggles or shades to filter the light. If the snow is wet, it becomes more gray, if it is frozen it can reflect more ambient light etc etc.

Personally, I would suggest that you try different snow in different areas, perhaps divided by height above sea level.

I will start with the "highest" snow type and go down from there

Examples from snowy peaks:

Spoiler

462109.JPG

500fjell_img_2604-1.jpg

As you see. Time of day causes shadows to be cast differently, meaning that some bump/normal maps to your textures may enhance the feel during different lighting conditions. During midday, the sun is so high that virtually no shadows are cast, making the snow glaringly bright. The lower picture shows a lower sun and more shadows, making the snow more blue/gray ish.

Also, note the random scattered rocks etc appear as if black because of the high contrast, while they are just typically gray rocks.

Example from forests/hills

Spoiler

snow-1987918_960_720.jpg

snow-2303925_960_720.jpg

As you can see here. Snow can give the impression of a lot of different colors than pure white. In the top image, the snow on the road is more "gritty" with tracks and makes it more gray. The snow in the foreground is covering small bushes and grass, giving more depth and variation in color. The snow in the open is almost glowing orange due to the low sun, making a spectacular view. Snowy trees should also be considered for a mod like this, especially if your "season" is mid winter.

The lower image just shows how contrast again makes the trees almost look black, while they in reality are green. Shadows/shade from the forest make the snow in the forest look more gray, than the snow in the foreground.

Lastly, some city/suburban area snow:

Spoiler

snowy_road.jpg

road-2070991_960_720.jpg

5b5d2782-2a52-49a8-898a-c43839e75eae?fit

In the first two images, you can see how road dirt/grime has mixed with the snow and is causing it to darken. This snow becomes much more gray. 

The last image shows what a road may look like when the temperature is around freezing point. The snow melts in the tracks because it compresses into sludge, making the asphalt visible. Good for some great variation to the scenery. 

So all in all I'd say you have to settle on what kind of "temperature" you are going for. The colder it is, the more white/pure the snow will look. If it is a milder climate (lower regions, coastal) then more gritty/dirty snow.

Think also about how scattered the snow should be...

My take on snow is of course, very scandinavian. You need to see what you like best and go for that :) I have some real snow camo, that is white, but it gets dirty and therefore turns more gray-ish over time. Still, camo's aren't about perfect matches to the environment, but minimizing contrast to it.

I hope you find this somewhat helpful :)

I like snow maps except for most of the terrain textures because it is pure flat one shade of white and kills immersion since there are no tracks, broken snow or any sense of depth.

I like URAL and Chernobyl Zone winter as those two hide the flatness with snow colored bushes.

Also, I really like the Winter 2035 mod that recolors Stratis and Altis to snow. The ground textures actually look good and if you can figure a way to add DEPTH to the snow, that would make it fantastic regardless of exact snow color.

If not, please add some winter grass just so we can HIDE and TRACK in the snow. It will work like regular grass but give winter players more depth to the game.

As a Canuck, I can safely say snow is confusing. Basically the fresher the snow, the shinier and whiter it appears. A good middle ground is some thinning snow with a bit of muck/mud. This allows people to play with/without snow camo, and is more realistic as when it snows it is rarely super white for long. However, in the mountains I would imagine it would usually be clear and maybe rocky, so snow would always be white more or less. Meh, you do you!