Tom_48_97

Tac-Ops Mission Pack Military Operations

Have you played the various bits of playable content in Tac-Ops Mission Pack? Let's hear what you thought and how we might still improve it!

• Please be considerate to your fellow players and mark any spoilers appropriately - thank you! 
  • Specific issues are most effectively reported directly to our Feedback Tracker.

tacops_overview.jpg

What playable content is there and how do I access it?

• Added: "Beyond Hope" Military Operation* 
  • Added: "Stepping Stone" Military Operation*
  • Added: "Steel Pegasus" Military Operation*
    • Main Menu >> SINGLE PLAYER > CAMPAIGNS

* Content requires ownership of Arma 3 Tac-Ops DLC Mission Pack

• Like 10

Played through the first mission of "Beyond Hope" and started the second. First one took me over an hour and it was p.cool already. Love the setup and the use of the scenery, etc. Comparing this to pre-3den times, it becomes obvious how necessary a real 3d editor was.

Other than that, as a pure singleplayer guy, this seems to be exactly the kind of thing I want since years. Don't have any more time for playing today, but I know exactly what I'm going to do tomorrow.

PS: Love the new Gorgon textures. It's simple, but... gorgeous?

• Like 3

Waypoints in Beyond Hope seems odd.
One does work, another zooms out to the max, another Zooms out a bit with every click.

And my Team never made it trough Spartan Area :D

I think what turned the tide for me in the first mission was

me taking the mortar encampment and using it against the enemy. Best decision I've done. Ok, most of my team died in the coming counter-attack (that god damn Gorgon rushing in), but I've dealt a truckton of damage before that happened.

Rebel paint schemes of armoured vehicles is something that was missing from the game, the Gorgon textures are cool. One with FIA sprayed on it would be great, just like the good old days :D

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, lexx said:

Other than that, as a pure singleplayer guy, this seems to be exactly the kind of thing I want since years.

How so? Is it the story itself or interesting new mechanics?

I haven't found much story in it other than what we already know (civil war, etc). But I don't think it was ever advertised as a story-heavy addition. What I've liked so far is simply that you're in command of a squad, that you're not trapped in "corridor styled" story locations (you can go freely wherever you want within the area of operation), and that there are multiple tasks to complete, which you are not forced to do in a certain way. Now keep in mind, I've only played the first mission for real, and then zapped to the other ones, so whatever I write now is not representative for the complete package. Could be that all following missions are garbage, soo.. :p

• Like 3

The presentation is closer to a AAA title... well done there... just restarting beyond hope cuz i got sloppy checking things out and got taken out 

:e:

• Like 3

There's couple of issues I encountered in Broken Hope, didn't play that long though yet:

Spoiler

- On Spartan area finding the missing patrol was not triggered, only on the second time (after dying) I came to the same place the task was completed
- The enemy started pummeling us with the mortar although their own forces are right there at Spartan having a firefight with us, seems a bit odd to me :shrug:

Sorry for my English.

Wonderful missions, gradually finish one by one.

Amazing soundtrack

Spoiler

Devs, please check info under the spoiler:

Spoiler

Suggestions:

1) Please consider the possibility of change color of text to black for good readings, as example text "our lost" in a picture under the spoiler

Spoiler

cuD7r0v.jpg

2) After briefing in some missions our character change stance to "Combat".

May be change this to "Relax"?

Spoiler

3) In mission "No Reprieve" i can't see weapon Mk14 in different camo except "camo" (srifle_DMR_06_camo_F).

Please add variant of "olive" (srifle_DMR_06_olive_F).

Bugs:

1) Old man in mission "No Reprieve" move through walls.

Please, make him don't move.

Spoiler

2) In mission "No Reprieve" broken Strider have fuel and can move :)

Spoiler

3) In mission "No Reprieve" when wounded rebel say some words, one phrase too fast appears on the screen.

HEKTOR ANASTAS: Olympos to Chimera, we got incoming mortar fire!

Spoiler

4) In mission "Breaking Through" (Steel Pegasus) if Marshall have hit to fuel tank, Fuel automaticly restored, but we have RepKit to repai this hit.

Please add hint about that (Auto Refuel not realistic)

Spoiler

5) In mission "LZ Nowhere" (Steel Pegasus) wounded soldier lies with the lowered NVG.

Please change that, not realistic.

Spoiler

V3ba9D7.jpg

6) In mission "LZ Nowhere" (Steel Pegasus) boxes have too much good positions, but, in my opinion, they must lie on one side.

Spoiler

fLJMIb1.jpg

• Like 1

So far Bohemia, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'VE WANTED!!!!! It feels amazing playing missions in ArmA 3 that actually feel so much like ArmA! I enjoyed the East Wind campaign to a certain extent but Tac-Ops is by far the best and I love it. I currently have played the first mission of Stepping Stone as SF and it was great. I also started Beyond Hope but got annoyed when I was trying to move my team into position behind enemy lines (Alert or Stealth - didn't make a difference) while ordered to prone, but my AT kept equipping his AT launcher every damn time and was getting spotted because he was crouching or standing. This made it quite impossible to move my team as I desired so I took a break and started on Stepping Stones. The atmosphere of the missions are 10/10 and i'm impressed with how well the performance is. Great narrative and progression through the missions, and it's very nice having a briefing shown and explained to the player. Great job on that. The only issue I noticed were some of the subtitles were wrong and did not match the voice. One example of this is in the first mission of Beyond Hope. The subtitles say one team will move in from the East, but the voice says West (or the other way around). I really love how the missions aren't loaded with full 12 man patrols and 40 man bases often seen in community-made missions that keep me from playing them on the workshop. Everything is kept to a realistic degree while maintaining challenge and fun factor. Definitely will be replaying these missions as there seems to be quite a number of things to do and ways to go about each goal. Love the choices. Love the missions so far. Thank you Bohemia so much for finally making my wish of extended singleplayer content come true :) it has been very enjoyable so far and totally worth the price for content. It would be great to include one extra Operation for Apex owners on Tanoa later on as the Apex campaign just didn't satisfy enough. Missions with the gameplay and atmospherics of Tac-Ops on Tanoa would truly be amazing if it will ever happen.

Edit: As mentioned before, the clickable text buttons on the briefing menu for Beyond Hope are not working properly and do not focus the map on the proper location.

• Like 7

Oh yeah, that "realistic" thing is an interesting point. I haven't exactly nailed it down yet, but when you see your men approaching in the beginning of the missions, it just looks so much better than other such types on the workshop. It's not that they come with custom animation or whatever fancy stuff, but simply the way everything is set up. I guess it is probably the positions where the units start out- it's not as if someone slapped 3 pre-made groups into the scene and called it a day. I mean, how many convoy ambush / rescue missions did we play? Yet none looks and feels like this stuff here.

I'd really love to see the missionFlow.fsm files and stuff... I'm imagining them to look crazy.

• Like 2

Been playing through the first Beyond Hope mission- I've been enjoying the set up, though I'm pretty rusty it seems- the AI is readily handing my ass to me.

A bug I encountered though-

Spoiler

During the defense of the city from the QRF, the mission would not proceed to "mission complete" even after all enemies have been killed. It turns out that there was an enemy MRAP still considered "alive", despite being damaged and abandoned. I had to blow it up with a rocket, which then caused the game to proceed to the mission complete dialogue.

Spoiler

Similarly, the game doesn't seem to register that I destroyed the mortar emplacement towards the back until I get within 150-200m to it, even if it is otherwise completely destroyed.

I will post more bugs I encounter. So far, I'm having a good time.

Edited: added spoiler tags. Apologies.

Edited by acesential
Added spoiler tags

6 minutes ago, acesential said:

I will post more bugs I encounter. So far, I'm having a good time.

Make sure to add spoiler tags next time, as per OP instructions. :icon_bash:

• Like 1

I'm having an odd bug on Beyond Hope below, It doesnt sound like anyone else is having it.

Odd bug

Spoiler

When I get to the MG nest at Spartan. It opens up on us and one of my guys dies and it says friendly fire will not be tolerated and the mission quits. I never fire a shot

Happened 2x I tried it. 

As the others have mentioned, The second mission took me back to the feeling I had in OFP and Dragon Rising where you feel like you are on a wider battlefield. 

I got into an intense firefight last night... went on for quite awhile. I have some footage I might post. No mission stuff... just the firefight sequence... good fun.

And I am also getting my butt handed to me. In a good way though... I can tell at points its either my crappy aim because I'm trying to tweak the controller sensitivity or a sloppy move from cover etc.

So far though in terms of presentation aspects and overall gameplay... 9/10 ... Going out into the field again here soon :)

• Like 3

You are the best, guys!

Module / civil system - 10/10. You have returned to me the hope and interesting to the game. Thank you.

Missions - 10/10.

Music - 10/10.

Conclusion - product mast buy.  Best mission in  ARMA series.

P. S. sorry: were is civilian traffic module!??:eh:

Still a wish: civilian traffic module, warfare module.

Thank you.

• Like 3

So that firefight I mentioned... no spoilers... you can see the obj in the distance but that's about it.

I left the first part in because as I scan I can see XXXXX moving in and don't want to fall behind then it will cut to actual firefight.

I can't aim worth poop right now cuz I'm fiddling with sensitivity on the controller using Pinnacle profiler so try to excuse my noobish gameplay and general lucky to be alive moment... 

Heavily modded Gameplay as well so some of the stuff will be different for you. Good Solid fun though... might need to buffer a bit as I just uploaded and it still isn't showing me the 1080p option

Spoiler

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cosmic10r said:

I can't aim worth poop right now cuz I'm fiddling with sensitivity on the controller using Pinnacle profiler so try to excuse my noobish gameplay and general lucky to be alive moment... 

You don't need to use Pinnacle Profiler to use a controller for ArmA 3. Infact I would advise against it. I have created a controller scheme that works quite well for me although it is rather simple. Including Infantry, Helicopter, and Vehicular controls.

Anyway, I have noticed a bit of an issue slightly affecting mission progression:

Spoiler

In Fait Accompli during the Infantry playthrough, I had moved my team up to Point Crestone and eliminated all enemies in the area... but the task was not completing. I had run around for about 10 minutes looking for stray soldiers that may be causing the task to not trigger until I found this guy. I don't believe he fired at my team at any point in the mission and he was facing towards the wall. I don't think it should be too hard to limit the area he watches. Maybe have him dismount the static once a player or NATO comes close to the house.

6 minutes ago, blindside said:

You don't need to use Pinnacle Profiler to use a controller for ArmA 3. Infact I would advise against it. I have created a controller scheme that works quite well for me although it is rather simple. Including Infantry, Helicopter, and Vehicular controls.

I much prefer it because I can customize the hold and double press commands... I have a great profile going but have been adjusting the sensitivity to see if I can get it closer to bf1 which i became accustomed to..

Imo the controller software ingame is pretty useless... or at least was last I checked...  after market software provides a much finer degree of control... ymmv

Just now, cosmic10r said:

I much prefer it because I can customize the hold and double press commands... I have a great profile going but have been adjusting the sensitivity to see if I can get it closer to bf1 which i became accustomed to..

Imo the controller software ingame is pretty useless... or at least was last I checked...  after market software provides a much finer degree of control... ymmv

You could combine both Pinnacle AND in-game control settings for functions such as double click or hold. That is what I did. As for movement and aiming, definetly use the in-game settings. Bind right stick to aiming up-down-left-right and left stick to movement. It tracks how much you are moving the analog and puts you into a walk at the half-way point, and full jog at full throttle.  If you wish to discuss further send me a PM since it's rather off-topic.

I know you guys said no new assets, but would it really hurt adding FIA units with AKs or AAF units with (maybe) the standard uniform but with different vests, headgears and weapons like a paramilitary force?

Oh, something I failed to mention before-

Spoiler

as you finish missions and their different branches, you get a checkmark on the particular branch you finished. However, there was no infantry checkmark for No Reprieve after finishing it.

3 hours ago, jv2025 said:

I know you guys said no new assets, but would it really hurt adding FIA units with AKs or AAF units with (maybe) the standard uniform but with different vests, headgears and weapons like a paramilitary force?

Well, you can do this on your own via 3den and unit loadouts. BI did the same in this pack-- the units carry pretty much any weapon from the game.

First off, Great job! Only played Beyond Hope so far but loved it! The atmosphere is great just like in LoW. I'm just going to spoiler everything beyond this point just in case:

Spoiler

No Reprieve
- Annoyance: When I rescued the down soldier he stood up and got shot. I'm assuming that's scripted if the position above is still intact. I had my men on overwatch and could have easily taken it out if I knew the guy was going to stand up and die. I had waited because I was trying to be as stealthy as possible for as long as possible. Not sure if anything can really be done that wouldn't be annoying though. It's logical that he would die if he stood up and it was still there but it's annoying because I didn't know he would and so it blew my cover and he died. Plus Miller yelled at me :(
Bug: "I" reported that rescued guy as KIA before I reported that he survived which made things kind of awkward

- Story Time: After the second call to knock out the mortars I finally located them. Since they told me to expedite I stole a nearby technical, grabbed two of my men and charged the mortars. My two men were killed as we pulled up behind the barn. Not sure how I survived. I got out hid behind a truck and bandaged myself. I then made a run for the truck while throwing grenades at the guy by the front mortar. Got him and picked off the two remaining mortar gunners. I then used a mortar to take out a guy I could still see on the map (because I'm a coward who plays on Easy although more so because my computer performs bad and Easy evens the odds).  I used the first mortar to destroy a second mortar. I destroyed the one I was just on and stole the third one and put it in the pickup but unfortunately never got a chance to use it because the mission ended right when I got to town. Not sure if me stealing the mortar counted as be destroying/defending them.

- I feel like I really didn't do much on this mission but it was still a lot of fun sneaking around, finding emplacements, and doing my stupid suicide charge when I had been so careful up to that point.

- Annoyance: The buildings added in the mission editor don't show up on the 2D map which can make navigating a bit of a pain when I'm trying to figure out where something is on the map relative to a building that doesn't show up on it. Is it possible you could add some kind of new mission marker that could be placed over buildings to make them look like they're embedded in the map? Or just make it so buildings automatically get them?

Avenging Furies

- I went with Falcon

- This was a lot of fun! Some of the best times I had playing ArmA 3 which brings me to my next point.

- Story Time:
Took some kind of .407 (I think) sniper rifle , a PCML that I had from the previous mission, and put some kind of marksman rifle in the ATV with two mags (ended up being a smart move). Set the explosives on the road and went next to the sniper closest to the ATV. Ranged things out with the Rangefinder and put ranging markers on the map so I could adjust my sniper rifle without switching back to the rangefinder (something which I have never done before). Initial contact went smoothly. Sniped a bunch of people. Don't think they shot back. When the initial militia reinforcements (truck and technical) came down the road I detonated my bombs too early and only damaged the technical (this is important later) but the crew died. Sniped everyone getting out of the truck. One guy got a shot off that hit in front of me as I got him in the face. Convoy cleared. Yeah! Get the call about the reinforcements.

I died the first several times I played this part so will mostly only tell you about the successful one. I only have 3 rounds left in my sniper rifle so I grab the scope off of it and drop it since I could only walk while I had it. Ran back to the ATV. Put the AK in the back of the ATV with a few spare mags and grabbed the marksman rifle I had put in earlier. Put a bipod and my sniper rifle scope on it. Hopped on the ATV and drove down to that damaged technical I told you about. On the way down I realized that I had been a meter or two out of range of my furthest explosive on the road when I detonated them so it's still there.

I hopped on the 50 cal of the damaged technical and just gunned down everyone in the first truck as it came around the corner. No one managed to get out. This part gets a little confusing because it's the part that I had to redo the most. I think I went into the ditch next to where my explosive was to wait for the IFV coming down the road but saw the second infantry squad up on the hill first. Tried to mortar them but missed. They got closer so I called the next one in about 100m away from me between me and them. I went prone and nearly got blown up by a stray mortar round or I guess maybe it was a UGL round. Not 100% sure. I'm really uncertain what happens next. I think the infantry gets really close so I start running down the ditch right after I call a mortar strike in on my position. The IFV comes down the road and hits the truck which I think blows the truck up but the IFV  remains. I detonate my last explosive and either that or the mortar strike gets the IFV and the infantry I think. One mortar round hits the technical and takes it and my ATV out. I keep running in the ditch back towards the convoy and decide it would be a good time to save (spoiler: I was right).

The first time I did this part the strider stops next to the road and I go to take it out. A friendly fires a UGL at it. It turns to hit him and I PCML it in the back. Yeah! And then I get a 50 cal round from a technical to the face. Do it again and the strider and the technicals engage friendly forces again. One technical gunner gets sniped. I toss a grenade at the other, the guy sees me, turns and either dies from my grenade or from a friendly round. Strider starts driving around and I mange to score a rocket hit. Mission Complete!

- Short Story Time: The time before I used the technical on the first regular army reinforcement truck I was still up on the hill when it arrived. I managed to detonate my bomb right under it despite the fact I couldn't remember where I had even put it. I also managed to disable 2 technicals, a crewless technical, and a strider with a single round from a mortar strike and then they got destroyed by the second round. Then the IFV got me. I also enjoyed calling in a mortar strike on where I thought guys would be and then shooting at them and receiving fire to keep them in that spot until the mortars hit.

- No bugs or annoyances on this one and as you can tell I really enjoyed it!

- Felt like a more fun and atmospheric Blood, Sweat, and Tears or that Armed Assault mission that you guys used to show off at conferences that never got released (to the best of my knowledge). Want to point out that I'm not knocking Blood, Sweat, and Tears. I enjoyed it but I feel like this is an improvement on it.

Overall
- I really enjoy the atmosphere in both of these missions.

- The music has been really good.

- I like the animated briefings.

- I like how you implemented the "join others" options

- I like how you're indicating in the Campaign menu which missions have sub-missions and which sub-missions have been played.

- I feel like there are some fire geometry lod issues with the older looking and/or damaged house models. I know I have had problems throwing grenades in through windows and doors which caused them to bounce back out. That can be annoying. I accidentally killed a friendly in Avenging Furies like that. He didn't deserve to die!

- I look forward to playing the other sub-missions of A.F. as well as the other two Operations. Great work!

30 minutes ago, acesential said:

Oh, something I failed to mention before-

Hide contents

as you finish missions and their different branches, you get a checkmark on the particular branch you finished. However, there was no infantry checkmark for No Reprieve after finishing it.

I got one

2 minutes ago, jakerod said:

First off, Great job! Only played Beyond Hope so far but loved it! The atmosphere is great just like in LoW. I'm just going to spoiler everything beyond this point just in case:

Reveal hidden contents

No Reprieve
- Annoyance: When I rescued the down soldier he stood up and got shot. I'm assuming that's scripted if the position above is still intact. I had my men on overwatch and could have easily taken it out if I knew the guy was going to stand up and die. I had waited because I was trying to be as stealthy as possible for as long as possible. Not sure if anything can really be done that wouldn't be annoying though. It's logical that he would die if he stood up and it was still there but it's annoying because I didn't know he would and so it blew my cover and he died. Plus Miller yelled at me :(
Bug: "I" reported that rescued guy as KIA before I reported that he survived which made things kind of awkward

- Story Time: After the second call to knock out the mortars I finally located them. Since they told me to expedite I stole a nearby technical, grabbed two of my men and charged the mortars. My two men were killed as we pulled up behind the barn. Not sure how I survived. I got out hid behind a truck and bandaged myself. I then made a run for the truck while throwing grenades at the guy by the front mortar. Got him and picked off the two remaining mortar gunners. I then used a mortar to take out a guy I could still see on the map (because I'm a coward who plays on Easy although more so because my computer performs bad and Easy evens the odds).  I used the first mortar to destroy a second mortar. I destroyed the one I was just on and stole the third one and put it in the pickup but unfortunately never got a chance to use it because the mission ended right when I got to town. Not sure if me stealing the mortar counted as be destroying/defending them.

- I feel like I really didn't do much on this mission but it was still a lot of fun sneaking around, finding emplacements, and doing my stupid suicide charge when I had been so careful up to that point.

- Annoyance: The buildings added in the mission editor don't show up on the 2D map which can make navigating a bit of a pain when I'm trying to figure out where something is on the map relative to a building that doesn't show up on it. Is it possible you could add some kind of new mission marker that could be placed over buildings to make them look like they're embedded in the map? Or just make it so buildings automatically get them?

Avenging Furies

- I went with Falcon

- This was a lot of fun! Some of the best times I had playing ArmA 3 which brings me to my next point.

- Story Time:
Took some kind of .407 (I think) sniper rifle , a PCML that I had from the previous mission, and put some kind of marksman rifle in the ATV with two mags (ended up being a smart move). Set the explosives on the road and went next to the sniper closest to the ATV. Ranged things out with the Rangefinder and put ranging markers on the map so I could adjust my sniper rifle without switching back to the rangefinder (something which I have never done before). Initial contact went smoothly. Sniped a bunch of people. Don't think they shot back. When the initial militia reinforcements (truck and technical) came down the road I detonated my bombs too early and only damaged the technical (this is important later) but the crew died. Sniped everyone getting out of the truck. One guy got a shot off that hit in front of me as I got him in the face. Convoy cleared. Yeah! Get the call about the reinforcements.

I died the first several times I played this part so will mostly only tell you about the successful one. I only have 3 rounds left in my sniper rifle so I grab the scope off of it and drop it since I could only walk while I had it. Ran back to the ATV. Put the AK in the back of the ATV with a few spare mags and grabbed the marksman rifle I had put in earlier. Put a bipod and my sniper rifle scope on it. Hopped on the ATV and drove down to that damaged technical I told you about. On the way down I realized that I had been a meter or two out of range of my furthest explosive on the road when I detonated them so it's still there.

I hopped on the 50 cal of the damaged technical and just gunned down everyone in the first truck as it came around the corner. No one managed to get out. This part gets a little confusing because it's the part that I had to redo the most. I think I went into the ditch next to where my explosive was to wait for the IFV coming down the road but saw the second infantry squad up on the hill first. Tried to mortar them but missed. They got closer so I called the next one in about 100m away from me between me and them. I went prone and nearly got blown up by a stray mortar round or I guess maybe it was a UGL round. Not 100% sure. I'm really uncertain what happens next. I think the infantry gets really close so I start running down the ditch right after I call a mortar strike in on my position. The IFV comes down the road and hits the truck which I think blows the truck up but the IFV  remains. I detonate my last explosive and either that or the mortar strike gets the IFV and the infantry I think. One mortar round hits the technical and takes it and my ATV out. I keep running in the ditch back towards the convoy and decide it would be a good time to save (spoiler: I was right).

The first time I did this part the strider stops next to the road and I go to take it out. A friendly fires a UGL at it. It turns to hit him and I PCML it in the back. Yeah! And then I get a 50 cal round from a technical to the face. Do it again and the strider and the technicals engage friendly forces again. One technical gunner gets sniped. I toss a grenade at the other, the guy sees me, turns and either dies from my grenade or from a friendly round. Strider starts driving around and I mange to score a rocket hit. Mission Complete!

- Short Story Time: The time before I used the technical on the first regular army reinforcement truck I was still up on the hill when it arrived. I managed to detonate my bomb right under it despite the fact I couldn't remember where I had even put it. I also managed to disable 2 technicals, a crewless technical, and a strider with a single round from a mortar strike and then they got destroyed by the second round. Then the IFV got me. I also enjoyed calling in a mortar strike on where I thought guys would be and then shooting at them and receiving fire to keep them in that spot until the mortars hit.

- No bugs or annoyances on this one and as you can tell I really enjoyed it!

- Felt like a more atmospheric Blood, Sweat, and Tears or that Armed Assault mission that you guys used to show off at conferences that never got released (to the best of my knowledge).

Overall
- I really enjoy the atmosphere in both of these missions.

- The music has been really good.

- I like the animated briefings.

- I like how you implemented the "join others" options

- I like how you're indicating in the Campaign menu which missions have sub-missions and which sub-missions have been played.

- I feel like there are some fire geometry lod issues with the older looking and/or damaged house models. I know I have had problems throwing grenades in through windows and doors which caused them to bounce back out. That can be annoying. I accidentally killed a friendly in Avenging Furies like that. He didn't deserve to die!

- I look forward to playing the other sub-missions of A.F. as well as the other two Operations. Great work!

I got one.

I may give it a replay- see if that fixes my issue.