FredAirland

Helicopter Flight Model Modding (rotorLib)

Hi, 

After having succesfully modded the flight models for Take On Helicopters I would like to improve the rotorLib parameters in Arma 3 to see if I can replicate the behaviors I have reached in Microsoft FSX using my own helicopter physics addon (Helicopter Total Realism or HTR)

In TKOH it was quite simple as I just had to extract the XML files from the PBO's and put them in a specific Hsim Directory.

I am not an expert in Arma 3 editing (but would like to become one) ,but I am pretty sure that with some help from the people I can get very realistic and improved flight dynamics.

I actually would like to split the work in 3 steps:

1. Edit and publish the improved dynamics editing parameters from the Rotorlib XML files.

2. Change the config files of the helicopters to see if I can improve the behavior

3. More of a long term project, port my HTR library to Arma 3 for a completely realistic helicopter flight experience...

Thanks

Fred

• Like 2

Fred is this more of an announcement or what are the questions you have?

Overall I suggest you to join the arma discord. You will get good assistance there.

Dev branch, diag.exe and mergeConfig is must use to reduce tweaking efforts.

Maybe unpacked data/file patching if it works with the xml (probably not though).

A3 might have a few more useful sqf commands and callExtension could be useful.

• Like 1

Hi Kju,

your discord suggestion is a good one I will definitely join...

The main question is really how to do step 1 in the easiest way possible, I hoped I did not need to pack data but so be it...

devbranch and diag.exe is a good starting point thanks !

Fred

I'm really interested on this project. I use HTR on FSX, think it improves the feel of helicopters A LOT!

Hope you can bring this experience to A3.