rossoe

square patchwork clutter issue

i have an odd issue that suddenly cropped up in my project yesterday - my clutter is showing as square patches all over the place:

clutter1.JPG

This is my sampler settings:

sampler-big.JPG

conveniently I have both the full size terrain project, and a smaller section of the full map as a test area so first here is the issue again on a different section of the full terrain (sampler settings as per above):

clutter3.png

And here it is at the same location on my test terrain which is smaller - working fine with no patchwork clutter:

clutter2.png

sampler-small.JPG

clutterGrid is set to  = 0.85;

I can hide it to a degree by adding -  maxClutterColoringCoef = 1.0  but I don't want to do this, as I need the clutter to pick up some of the colour from sat image.

On my main map I have the following set in config.cpp

clutterRadius = 1;

clutterGrid = 0.85;

clutterDist = 125;

noDetailDist = 65;

fullDetailDist = 15;

has anyone seen this patchy behaviour before?

So bit more investigating, and I stumbled across area's where the clutter does actually behave as expected - next to area's that are clearly just square blocks of colour:

clutter_mix.png

But the large majority of the map has the horrible clutter squares?

I can find nothing significantly different on the sat image itself that would encourage this variation.

So far I have this occurring on my: 

- large terrain 40960 x 40960   5m cell

- medium terrain 20480 x 20480   2.5m cell

But my test terrain at 5120 x 5120   2.5m cell seems to have escaped the problem.

I know I'm not going totally insane as someone on Discord had exactly the same thing happening to them - https://imgur.com/a/a97i3

on the same day i noticed it!

ok so just to update on this one - I tested every variation under the sun within Samplers settings, then started totally rebuilding project folder from ground up until I eventually found the issue a week later:

percell.png

I was previously using default of 4 materials per cell, soon as I switched to 6 all the square patchwork clutter disappeared - just normal blotchy clutter now as expected:

mont_clutter.png

• Like 2