johnnyboy

Agent HandleDamage eventhandlers don't return Source (who shot them)

UPDATE:

• Agent Killed event handlers DO return source (unit who killed them).
  • Agent HandleDamange handlers DO NOT return source (unit who caused damage).

I can use the Killed EventHandler, so my problem is solved.

Original problem statement:

Goddamn chickens are pissing me off.  I have a scenario where player and AI unit are hunting chickens in a field, and I want to keep score of  how many flying chickens were killed by each.   Here's the problem:

• Chickens created as Agents, play walking and pecking animations so look natural.  That is good!  But their HandleDamage and Killed eventhandlers do not return a value in Source, so I can't credit the unit who killed it.  Bad!
  • Chickens created as Vehicles do NOT play walking and pecking animations.  Bad!  But their HandleDamage and Killed eventhandlers DO return a value in Source.  Good!

My workaround was to attach a vehicle chicken to the walking Agent chicken, and use the vehicle chicken's eventhandler for crediting shooter.  That works about 70% of the time.  But the other 30%, the Agent chicken is killed and attached vehicle chicken is not killed, so shooter does not get credit for the kill.

Is there a way to play the chicken Agent  behavior FSM on  the Vehicle chicken, so it has the same brain as an Agent chicken?  How would I do that?

I may end up recording timestamps for shots fired per units, and compare with Agent Killed timestamps and credit unit with closest timestamp.  But if I can get a vehicle chicken to behave like an agent chicken that would be cleaner.

Sorry I can't help here JB, but that is one surreal post. ^^ Awesome dude!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

But if I can get a vehicle chicken to behave like an agent chicken that would be cleaner.

Mmmm.....

Spoiler

b88d02ea10cbece743c018205ed0d3c1--weird-

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do their handledamage EHs at least return the projectile ? If so, you could get the owner of that.

I wonder how the zombies in Ravage work?  I believe they are created as agents.  It shows you how many you've killed in the score table when you've died.  (Maybe its just because they aren't chickens?)

@Tajin and  @FireWalker thanks for your thoughts on this.  But I was WRONG!  (first time that has ever happened to me).

Killed EventHandler DOES include source (shooter) for Agents so my  problem is solved.  Damaged EventHandler does NOT return source/shooter, but I only use that for the "poof of feathers" effect when hit.  Yay, I can move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1