mad_cheese

"STOP" state no longer overwritten by doMove/commandMove/moveTo?

If you order a subordinate unit to 'Stop' (x-1-6) and want to use doMove in a script afterwards, you need to use moveTo as well. You can freely move the units around by scripting, but they will always return:

currentCommand _unit == "STOP"

Until the player manually orders them to move or fall back into formation. This is news to me...Has something changed since 1.76.143187? 

I was damn sure that the combination of doMove and moveTo was switching the unit's currentcommand to "MOVE" before, even over  a 'engine level stop' . But I may be wrong. 

We tried everything to snap the unit out of the STOP-state. DoMove/moveTo works with units that were scripted to stop with doStop/commandStop, those units will return  'MOVE'  as their currentcommand. But player given stop-orders with (X-1-6) can not be overwritten by script commands. This seems odd given that you can change player given movement orders with doMove easily for example.

Units in a player ordered "STOP" state will also not execute anything with doFSM

Can someone confirm this is new?  Maybe I just did not see it before or I am generally not understanding things .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mad_cheese said:

II was damn sure that the combination of doMove and moveTo was switching the unit's currentcommand to "MOVE" before, even over  a 'engine level stop' . But I may be wrong. 

This definitely worked in Arma 2 as I used to use it for my All Round Defence mod.  Not sure when it changed though (it did work in Arma 3 as I remember testing it).

doMove has to be executed where the unit is local.

Units under command of a player are local to him, so using doMove on the server won't do it.

Are you sure this isn't the cause ?

I experienced same difficulties playing on hosted server (MP single player). It was not the case before 1.74 or 1.76

Not sure all cases are planned by devs. For example, teamSwitch in SP:

place in editor vanilla , a group weapon squad

add a switchable unit (marksman, #4 in game)

run preview as leader, order a move for the group

switch to marksman...

You have a splendid move waypoint (while not reached), for no body! leader stays definitely dumb and all other ducks follow you (you are not leader)!

I am glad I am not the only one :)

8 hours ago, Tajin said:

doMove has to be executed where the unit is local.

Units under command of a player are local to him, so using doMove on the server won't do it.

Are you sure this isn't the cause ?

I have only experimented with player led units that are local to the player. The issue is present in the editor as well unfortunately :(

I posted it on the feedback tracker: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T126933

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/10/2017 at 4:33 PM, pierremgi said:

I experienced same difficulties playing on hosted server (MP single player). It was not the case before 1.74 or 1.76

@dwarden is this a regression ?

well i'll be damned, this actually works:

params ["_unit"];
private ["_gP","_leader"];
_gp = createGroup (side player);
_leader = _gP createUnit [(typeOf player), [0,0,0], [], 0, "FORM"];
_leader hideObjectGlobal true;
[_unit] joinSilent _gp;
[_unit] joinSilent (group player);
deleteVehicle _leader;
deleteGroup _gp;

joining the unit to another AI leader is a temp fix, but it would be really cool to have it 'back'  ;)

doFSM will still not work though, the unit will go back to STOP state and not execute the FSM.

• Like 1

It seems to me you just have to insert a doFollow leader . No need to create a group.  But i have still some tests to make with that.

13 hours ago, pierremgi said:

It seems to me you just have to insert a doFollow leader . No need to create a group.  But i have still some tests to make with that.

That does not do the trick unfortunately. So far I assume the AI leaser sort of does what the player leader would do... I don't understand why doFSM will snap them back into stop state instead of executing the fsm.