Sign in to follow this  
LtShadow

Adding Reverb / Echo to Shaders/Sound Sets

Hey there guys;

Working on the F-16C sound mod and was curios to know how I could go about adding in environmental reverb to the sound sets / shaders in the mod?  So when the aircraft is moving around the environment there is more of a "surround" effect?

I think something like this would be a huge improvement for jets/helicopter audio as it would definitely enhance the soundscape in general, providing a more realistic sense of direction as well as being able to hear the aircraft's effect on buildings, trees and even fields.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

Hey dude,

there actually is an internal way of adding reverb and even delay in ArmA - But not for the new soundTech / soundSets, yay! :D

Buuuut, you could use a workaround.

What you are looking for are the 3dProcessors.

example:

class CfgSound3DProcessors {
    class myJetAmbientSound_3DProcessingType {
        type = "panner";
        innerRange = 20; // The sound will be completely stereo up to 20m...
        range = 900;    // ...and completely mono at 900m
        rangeCurve = "InverseSquare2Curve";    // The curve applied to the transition from mono to Stereo
    };
};

In your soundSet you have to add:

sound3DProcessingType = "myJetAmbientSound_3DProcessingType";

Important: Of course, the sounds you use have to be in actual stereo! You can't create a stereo image without a proper stereo file ;)

• Like 3

Sweet! Thanks Axe! I’ll try and set something up and report back in with results. :)

Another thing that me and Shazer have been struggling with are the “shapes” for the new shaders. I’d assume they are set up in arcs, but as for how they affect the aircraft and how their size/number determines the way the engine processes sound.  Haven’t been able to find any documentation on a lot of the new sound stuff, haha.

21 hours ago, LtShadow said:

Sweet! Thanks Axe! I’ll try and set something up and report back in with results. :)

Another thing that me and Shazer have been struggling with are the “shapes” for the new shaders. I’d assume they are set up in arcs, but as for how they affect the aircraft and how their size/number determines the way the engine processes sound.  Haven’t been able to find any documentation on a lot of the new sound stuff, haha.

Funny enough, I've been looking into them just friday as I'm working on new RHS heli sounds right now, haha!

Let me start off like this: Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe it's buggy indeed, but the feature tends to behave in a weird way (for me).

I'm at work and don't have the config in front of me, but the parameters should look and behave something like this

shape = "cone"; There might be more but I only know about cone. :D

innerAngle = 90;   The angle/radius of the cone in which the sound's volume is at the "inner volume" (90 = 90°, 45° on each side) \ | /

outerAngle = 130; The angle/radius of the cone in which the sound's volume is at the "outer volume"; Volume will gradually fade from the "inner" to the "outter" angle

innerVolume = 1.0; (meaning 100% volume when inside the "inner angle")

outerVolume = 0.2; (meaning 20% volume when inside the "outer angle"

azimuth = 0; Horizontal direction of the cone in degrees; 0 means it's pointing front, 180 means back.

elevation = 0; Vertical direction of the cone in degrees; Contrary to what bohemia named their stuff, -90 is pointing to the TOP, 90 is pointing downards!

8 hours ago, laxemann said:

Funny enough, I've been looking into them just friday as I'm working on new RHS heli sounds right now, haha!

Let me start off like this: Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe it's buggy indeed, but the feature tends to behave in a weird way (for me).

I'm at work and don't have the config in front of me, but the parameters should look and behave something like this

Thanks for that!  How do those variables set into the config? Do you define new shapes with those variables then?  The shape I'm talking about is the soundSet where it defines which shape to use.

for example:

class rs_f16c_EngineExt_Middle_SoundSet
	{
		soundShaders[]=
		{
			"rs_f16c_EngineExt_Middle_SoundShader"
		};
		volumeFactor=1.8;
		spatial=1;
		loop=1;
		shape="FrontSemispace10";
		volumeCurve="InverseSquare1Curve";
		sound3DProcessingType="JetExt_Middle_3DProcessingType";
		occlusionFactor=0.5;
		obstructionFactor=0;
	};

Thanks again for the help. :)

Yup! These ones. Defined in cfgSoundShapes and applied onto the respective soundSet :)

Check the parameter names again, I tried to recall them but am bot 100 percent sure haha

Edit: Don't forget to apply speedOfSound = 1; to your soundSets! :D

11 minutes ago, megagoth1702 said:

Wrote a wiki page on this. Thanks Laxe for the -90 means UP tip. Seems like a bug honestly. 

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Sound:_SoundShapes

Well, imagine the vehicle from the side. Usually, you go clockwise when measuring degrees, meaning 90° would point downwards, 180° backwards and 270° upwards. Therefore it makes sense that -90° is upwards as well. :)

Edit: Mad paint skillz

HbZKVvn.png

32 minutes ago, laxemann said:

Well, imagine the vehicle from the side. Usually, you go clockwise when measuring degrees, meaning 90° would point downwards, 180° backwards and 270° upwards. Therefore it makes sense that -90° is upwards as well. :)

Edit: Mad paint skillz

HbZKVvn.png

No, I want positive numbers to mean RIGHT and UP. :sarcasm:

• Haha 1