Sign in to follow this  
tRiKy_ch

Client-side FPS drops

on my clan server (linux ds), no matter wich mission is running, after a while almost every client start to suffer serious fps drops (< 20 fps) while server stay at rock solid 50fps

curious fact: sometimes when a user leave it stop suddently

i'm struggling with this since we rent the server and tried every possible workaround but nothing, so my simple question is:

how could that possible?

whats the reason?

it is server related?

bandwith related?

client only related?

how can i solve?

thank you in advance to anyone can help someway

To find the issue You need to start with a clinically clean environment, eg a vanilla server with only BI missions and prove its stable

Once you prove this (Which most folks don't do, they set there server up, add a ton of "Crap" and then find issues) Then its a nightmare to track down the problem

Every time you add 3rd party content you need to verify the issue isn't there

Very long and drawn out process

If you initially had a stable server with no such issues then at least there is a very good chance its 3rd party content

• It may be an addon
  • It may be the template that you use to create all your missions

If you don't know whether you had a stable vanilla server to start with and you just added a bunch of addons and then hoped for the best, then it could be anything, from hardware, o/s configuration or server configuration or 3rd party content or even bad hosting

i know we're playing heavy scripted mission and this is not good for arma, but i talking about famous and higly supported missions (i.e.: liberation) wich seem to anyone plays good, and not home-made "sunday-developer" missions =)

same goes for mods, we mainly use common mods like cba, ace, cup and rhs

and the server, ihmo, is good enough (4ghz i7 with lot of ram and 250mbps) as previous said it run solid, i could run a second ds without problem and without affecting the first one, generally fps drops on server-side side are rare

tried also with one and more HC, it help a lot the server but no effect on client drops

i also worked a lot around network issues and basic cfg with no result, but, imho, if it would be a net issues we should expect more lag issues than drops

btw i'll made some more test with vanilla + vanilla missions

maybe the simple point is "arma is optimized like a square wheel" and i'm breaking my head into the wall for nothing...

On 2017-09-18 at 8:15 AM, tRiKy_ch said:

i know we're playing heavy scripted mission and this is not good for arma, but i talking about famous and higly supported missions (i.e.: liberation) wich seem to anyone plays good, and not home-made "sunday-developer" missions =)

same goes for mods, we mainly use common mods like cba, ace, cup and rhs

and the server, ihmo, is good enough (4ghz i7 with lot of ram and 250mbps) as previous said it run solid, i could run a second ds without problem and without affecting the first one, generally fps drops on server-side side are rare

tried also with one and more HC, it help a lot the server but no effect on client drops

i also worked a lot around network issues and basic cfg with no result, but, imho, if it would be a net issues we should expect more lag issues than drops

btw i'll made some more test with vanilla + vanilla missions

maybe the simple point is "arma is optimized like a square wheel" and i'm breaking my head into the wall for nothing...

RHS compared to vanilla ArmA gear and weapons lowers FPS quite a bit. Even "famous" missions still aren't FPS friendly sometimes. ArmA is a dynamic sandbox. You can do anything. You have to adjust and adapt to different situations. You enter a town? Lower your view distance. You have massive ammounts of explosiosn etc? Lower your graphic settings nad particles. Don't use blastcore etc unless you don't mind lag spikes. 

It's most likely the memory and cache if it doesn't happen instantly but over time. Check mission to see if it has a lot of loops or things that clutter up. 

Try running vanilla ArmA without mods and same scripts. If it's not the mission then it's the mods. Extreme quality models and lods and textures can cause lag too. :) 

In my experience ArmA is a VERY well optimised game if you're playing vanilla using vanilla assets and no unreliable scripting. 

9 hours ago, Spatsiba said:

RHS compared to vanilla ArmA gear and weapons lowers FPS quite a bit. Even "famous" missions still aren't FPS friendly sometimes. ArmA is a dynamic sandbox. You can do anything. You have to adjust and adapt to different situations. You enter a town? Lower your view distance. You have massive ammounts of explosiosn etc? Lower your graphic settings nad particles. Don't use blastcore etc unless you don't mind lag spikes. 

It's most likely the memory and cache if it doesn't happen instantly but over time. Check mission to see if it has a lot of loops or things that clutter up. 

Try running vanilla ArmA without mods and same scripts. If it's not the mission then it's the mods. Extreme quality models and lods and textures can cause lag too. :) 

In my experience ArmA is a VERY well optimised game if you're playing vanilla using vanilla assets and no unreliable scripting. 

lowering graphics don't help

i tried everything client & server side

client:

-graphics

-parameters

-memory allocator

-various tweak

-perf binaries

server

-checked basic cfg

-checked server cfg

-disabled battleye

-perf binaries

-server firewall

-hosting firewall

-checked entire mission scripts and deleted unecessary things and tried to found here a guilty but no success

also doubt that is linux ds to be broken

when i talked about famous missions my meaning was: "this mission is unplayable, how could be that other clans plays it without whining about this?"

as you said it's more like a memory leak or something similar, it affect client but i suspect it could be come from server because:

-every player began to drop at the same time, often after entering a city, happens too that a player outside of action don't be affected

-if you exit server, main menu still at same fps

-once drops began it get worse in time, it starts at 20fps til 3fps

-sometimes a player disconnect and the problem disappear

-tried different environment (mod & vanilla) and different missions but issue still present

2 hours ago, tRiKy_ch said:

lowering graphics don't help

i tried everything client & server side

client:

-graphics

-parameters

-memory allocator

-various tweak

-perf binaries

server

-checked basic cfg

-checked server cfg

-disabled battleye

-perf binaries

-server firewall

-hosting firewall

-checked entire mission scripts and deleted unecessary things and tried to found here a guilty but no success

also doubt that is linux ds to be broken

when i talked about famous missions my meaning was: "this mission is unplayable, how could be that other clans plays it without whining about this?"

as you said it's more like a memory leak or something similar, it affect client but i suspect it could be come from server because:

-every player began to drop at the same time, often after entering a city, happens too that a player outside of action don't be affected

-if you exit server, main menu still at same fps

-once drops began it get worse in time, it starts at 20fps til 3fps

-sometimes a player disconnect and the problem disappear

-tried different environment (mod & vanilla) and different missions but issue still present

Does your mission dynamically spawn in AI as you enter towns? I've noticed a lot of missions do and that might be the issue. Keep in mind most missions use more AI and heavy scripts and textures etc than ArmA was optimised for. 

Honestly it could be anything but it sounds like memory. Especially since it doesn't stop after you leave the mission but you have to restart the game to fix it. That probably clears the cache and fixes the issue. I wouldn't know though. 

Try testing your server by playing a vanilla gamemode included in ArmA3 made by BI. Do it without any mods. Just the server running ArmA with 100% vanilla. Not even SThud or similar clientside mods. 

If it works. Allow mods one by one and check if anything bad happens. Try out clientside mods too. Make people connect with different modsets etc. It's all about taking it slow and methodical.