sic-disaster

An Ode To Brute Force

So I have had some troubles getting AI to path to where I want them to be, but I found a solution. Of sorts. :turn:

• Like 4

I probably would have made him force-walk through it via switchMove.

After 10 minutes of continuous 230mm rocket barrage things like gates or buildings usually aren't a problem anymore.

Cheers

• Like 1

In the case at hand i´d just spawned the guy directly onto cemetery since there´s no players around seeing him walk through the gate anyway.

But yes, these are the defining ArmA features. There´s no fun in mission making when you succeed at first try ... no wait, what? :turn:

• Like 1

I bet if he wants the soldier walk through the gate this hard, then that means someone is going to see him do it.

Strange how the AI sometimes are shockingly idiotic and sometimes shockingly smart :P

If only unit capture for vehicles and infantry exists! 

• Like 2

LOL “Two things are infinite: the universe and Arma AI stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lexx said:

I probably would have made him force-walk through it via switchMove.

That might have been a good idea too, except in the case of my original idea this guy didn't start where he started in this video. He was the platoon SL and had to come from a different town by vehicle, so his rotation would have been important to set as well. Should be possible though and hadn't thought of it :D 

13 hours ago, mr burns said:

In the case at hand i´d just spawned the guy directly onto cemetery since there´s no players around seeing him walk through the gate anyway.

But yes, these are the defining ArmA features. There´s no fun in mission making when you succeed at first try ... no wait, what? :turn:

Well, as I said above, this guy was supposed to be platoon SL coming from a different town, so you were following him around prior to the gate hehe. He was then going to be shot by a sniper :D

But yeah, messing endlessly with tiny details is part of the experience lol. 

42 minutes ago, sic-disaster said:

But yeah, messing endlessly with tiny details is part of the experience lol. 

True, considering the amount of stuff that can happen and force you to start from scratch is near infinite.

Cheers

This was the gate that was rumored to have ghostly vehicles falling from the sky crushing the gate and anyone trying to pass it. Of course the soldier is reluctant to move through the gate. Thumbs up for AI.

• Like 3

On 8/26/2017 at 9:55 AM, Grumpy Old Man said:

True, considering the amount of stuff that can happen and force you to start from scratch is near infinite.

I always dread the moment when I spent hours on tweaking something until it works and then seeing if it still works when you do a complete restart of the computer/game..

I dunno, maybe the problem is with you folks trying to do things that the game just can't do. :>

It's in human nature to want to push forward, no? I always want to tell a story, and I always feel limited but I do get some cool results most of the time as well. Figuring out the boundaries and then try to work around those is part of the f(r)u(stration)n haha.

Simply making a 'go here, kill all things' sort of thing just isn't very interesting to me. Plenty of simple set-ups around, but they never hold my attention for long. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lexx said:

I dunno, maybe the problem is with you folks trying to do things that the game just can't do. :>

For some of us, solving these problems is the real fun.

Well, sure, but then don't complain. :>

3 hours ago, lexx said:

Who is complaining?

This sixteen years old problem has one simple solution : the object modders must model the doors opened by default, and not closed as they are now. Even if the geo lod is correctly modeled and animated, the AI always thinks the door is in his default state - so closed, most of the time.

• Like 1

On 28-8-2017 at 6:38 AM, lexx said:

Well, I don't think it's too big of an ask to want AI being able to pass through gates, no? :p 

Also, making things easier to do cool storytelling stuff doesn't hurt the game at all either. It would benefit pretty much everyone. 

On 25.8.2017 at 7:50 PM, mr burns said:

But yes, these are the defining ArmA features.

Oh yeah, that's what makes ArmA ArmA. I am so happy they've added lots of support for defining features on Malden 2035 (rocks for the joys of being stuck). Tank stopping street lamps are also a good feature.