Bought the game a while back and have been playing it on and off a bit, but the FPS frequently drops to a range of 10 - 20 when playing online. It was originally only ~15, but after searching for some fixes online I've managed to get it to ~20. Does anyone have tips? I've turned graphics settings low, and did the recommended editing of the Arma3.cfg file.

Specs are as follows:

Intel i7-6700k CPU @ 4.00 Ghz

16 GB RAM

GTX 1080

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This the guide I used,  It helped a lot.

A3 is extremely processor intensive.  You might try to turn off some of your services processes running in the background.  That might help. Run msconfig in the run command box.  Try this guide

I'm running I7 processor overclocked to 3.5ghz and 16 gig ram with a Nvidia 860M 4 gig card on a Lenovo laptop and I get great FPS in game and during online game play.   30fps on Tanoa and 50 FPS on all other maps

Hope that helps.

Scott Out!

Hey rocketman120,

I've had FPS issues in the past and found doing a few things helps.  

1.) Kill, Disable, Shutdown any background programs or services that you aren't using.  I made a little batch script to do this whenever I want to stop unnecessary services while I'm gaming.  Feel free to try it out, although some of the services probably are different for your system, depending on what you have installed and what OS you're on.  But if you're on Windows 7, it should work well.  Make sure to run it as Administrator: https://pastebin.com/KEiHha2j

2.) Turn off or temporarily disable your Antivirus.  Specifically, On-Access Scanning or file monitoring.  This can be very resource intensive.  Some AVs have a "Gamer Mode" you can enable which essentially does this.

3.) Adjust the Process Priority for your game (and other programs).  To do this, open up Task Manager, and goto the Process List, right-click on arma3.exe or arma3_x64.exe, and select "Set Priority > High".  This should prioritize that game's process over other processes, which can help improve performance.  

4.) As far as ArmA 3 Launch Parameters, there's a couple thing's I've noticed.

a.) If you have a multi-threaded CPU, enable the "Enable Hyper-Threading" parameter.  DONT enable "Extra Threads" AND "CPU Count" AND "Enable Hyper-Threading", because I've found that when you enable ALL of those together, performance actually drops.  However, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), depending on your setup.  So try experimenting with these CPU-related parameters and see which works best for you.

b.) Use a different Memory Allocator.  I use the "Intel TBB 4 allocator - 64-bit(tbbmalloc_bi_x64), but I've had good results using other ones like XTBB (Not sure if still compatible) and JEMalloc in the past.  Check out these links for more info:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Custom_Memory_Allocator

c.) Set the "No Logs" parameter if you don't need to review your client-side error logs (RPT file).  You really only need those logs if you are a scripter and need to view those RPT logs regularly.  For most players, it's a good idea to just enable "No Logs" in order to reduce writes to disk and improve performance.

If you find that you still have performance issues, try reverting your Arma3.cfg back to defaults, reset all your settings, and start from scratch.  Given your setup, with an i7 6700K and GTX1080, you should be getting FPS in the range of 40 and up, to be honest.  If you're not getting that, something is wrong.  It could also be your disks, recommend make sure you have good SSDs and make sure they are not going bad.

There's a lot more you can do but hopefully that helps a little.  Feel free to message me on Steam or PM me for help anytime!

Hey SWTX,

Google isn't letting me load that guide, it's trapped behind a captcha wall that keeps timing out.

Anzu,

As for task manager, I turn off all other applications save Steam when playing the game, I tried disabling Windows Security and fps went up by ~5. Not sure how to do the other things you've said though.

I wrote an entire guide to improve the fps on AMD cpus, you can use this guide to improve the fps in the intel too.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=875262519

I tried disabling Windows Security and fps went up by ~5. Not sure how to do the other things you've said though.

I suggest dont disable the windows security, you can create an exception in the anti-virus pointing the dirs of you game to avoid scan the folder where you installed the game.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:58 AM, rocketman120 said:

Hey SWTX,

Google isn't letting me load that guide, it's trapped behind a captcha wall that keeps timing out.

Anzu,

As for task manager, I turn off all other applications save Steam when playing the game, I tried disabling Windows Security and fps went up by ~5. Not sure how to do the other things you've said though.

something is  a miss here. what mission and what server seem to me more the factor here. you have not said what you are getting in Arma showcases or campaign.

9 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

something is  a miss here. what mission and what server seem to me more the factor here. you have not said what you are getting in Arma showcases or campaign.

I play zeus, end game, and combat patrol on official MP servers with a ping between 30 and 70. In single player, I get 30 - 40 fps consistently, with levels sometimes as high as 50 fps.

14 hours ago, rocketman120 said:

I play zeus, end game, and combat patrol on official MP servers with a ping between 30 and 70. In single player, I get 30 - 40 fps consistently, with levels sometimes as high as 50 fps.

Ok I use them too sometimes. And mostly 60 fps then like you it drops fire fights what not. To around 40 fps.  Lowest perhaps in escape Tanoa. Hits  30 fps driving through tanoa jungle on a gtx 970. Thats on 1080p. But I'm pretty sure it is better using the 1070 on 1440p it stays above this. What resolution are you on?

Have you changed any start up parameters?  

It is recommended to leave on 64 bit default.  and not not tick anything else. 

Have you changed anything in the nvidia panel? You are not using upscale or anything?  Go in and default the nvidia panel and change only gpu power  to max performance . 

9 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

Ok I use them too sometimes. And mostly 60 fps then like you it drops fire fights what not. To around 40 fps.  Lowest perhaps in escape Tanoa. Hits  30 fps driving through tanoa jungle on a gtx 970. Thats on 1080p. But I'm pretty sure it is better using the 1070 on 1440p it stays above this. What resolution are you on?

Have you changed any start up parameters?  

It is recommended to leave on 64 bit default.  and not not tick anything else. 

Have you changed anything in the nvidia panel? You are not using upscale or anything?  Go in and default the nvidia panel and change only gpu power  to max performance . 

I'm on 64-bit, set CPU count to 8, and set the video memory limit to the maximum. Haven't changed anythign in the NVIDIA panel, so I'll give  it a try.

13 hours ago, rocketman120 said:

I'm on 64-bit, set CPU count to 8, and set the video memory limit to the maximum. Haven't changed anythign in the NVIDIA panel, so I'll give  it a try.

Like I said default your settings in the parameter.  leave on default 64 bit. But do not set any other settings.  I know it seems counter intuitive but leave all others not ticked. This was advised by devs themselves. 

14 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

Like I said default your settings in the parameter.  leave on default 64 bit. But do not set any other settings.  I know it seems counter intuitive but leave all others not ticked. This was advised by devs themselves. 

Just tried that, no improvements in the fps.

One of the main thing you must get is that the 1st  job of Arma3 game engine is to compute the terrain, that's why the so call video "Visibility : Overall" parameter is so important. It is NOT a GPU parameter, it's a 100% CPU one. It's the main parameter you must use to tweak your FPS in game.

in Arma3 unlike most of the "fashionable" FPS, the power and efficiency of the processor is decisive, its why it’s said to be "CPU dependent ".

With a i7-7700K, you can play in the 50/60 FPS area up to 3800 m overall visibility.

With a R3-1300X, you can play in the 30 FPS area up to 2500 m overall visibility.

... and what about the GPU?

Since the Visual Update and APEX release, the impact of a powerful graphic card has increased but, as far as I have experienced, in fact the more powerful the processor the greater the effect will be.

On a low end Arma3 gaming rig based upon Pentium G-4560 or R3-1300X, the effect of a high end GPU is limited, probably because of CPU limitations.

Well ... then go to the "Old Bear method"

1 ° prerequisites
- set the game without addons or Mod and never in MP
- use a performance evaluation tool. I suggest Stratis - Arma3Mark

2° initial test
- use autodetect as a first step
- play Stratis - Arma3Mark 3 times
- write the results

3 ° set the "Visibility : Overall" parameter
- from the setting given by the autodetect, decrease "Visibility" by making tests, for example in steps of 250m: 3000m, 2750m, 2500m ... until you obtain a level of FPS that you consider satisfactory.
- decrease the quality of the "Terrain" parameter if necessary.
- do nothing with the shadow settings.

3 ° disable options suspected to kill Fps:
- in the section "Quality" - "Lighting"
    *disable water reflections
- in the "Display" section
    *disable Vsync (5)
- in the section "AA & PP"
If everything is off, do not touch anything else ...

if not :
    *disable the "bloom"
    *deactivate the 2 "blurs"
    *set the "depth of field" to 0
    *set "sharpen" out of 100
    *use the recipe suggested once  by HarOcp: "Therefore, the best AA combo in this game is: FXAA Ultra + 2X / 4X or FSAA 8x and you will get the best texture quality, no blur, sharp textures, smooth objects and vegetation . " The FSAA 2X is the one that costs the least in terms of FPS.
    note : on a "small" graphics card, it may be worth keeping PPAA: CMAA [still to be checked].

4° play Stratis - Arma3Mark for each major settings modifications to have a look about the effect on the FPS level.

5°play YAAB in order to get an evaluation of the FPS level you can get in game.

Take note that all that is stated here only concerns the game in single player without any interference from browser and so-called social network.

Arma3 FPS level in MP is an other story ...

Edited by oldbear
English is not my mother tongue