Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Aircraft Bomb Drop

Hi Folks,

RE: Script Example

Would anyone have an example of how we make a given AI aircraft fly over a given point and release its unguided bomb load ???

Specifically - what mechanism is available to "release ordinance"  ???

I've truly searched this forum and have yet to find the explanation...

Any help appreciated...

Regards,
Scott

there are many approaches to this task.

it depends on how scripted you want it to be and what exact aircarft and weapon you are using. the more info the easier it is to help. i personally prefer and use fully scripted approaches because i can get 100% accuracy. but you could also just make the aircraft force fire a specific weapon at a certain point. you'll have to rely on the AI a lot then and will have a lot of failure happening i think. which can be desired over a pinpoint perfect bomb drop in certain cases.

Hi Folks,

Yeah - DOH - sorry - I had forgotten that post but it didn't really answer my question (I think)... I don't use Zeus as I'm strictly SP - so that offered solution really didn't work... I've seen it's been done on the Unsung mod in A2 - so I know it's possible - it's just the how that remains a mystery... Is there no BIS function to simply trigger x aircraft to drop bomb ?

I'd prefer scripting solution as I kind of enjoy writing the code... For arguments sake - let's use the A7 Corsair and Snakeye 500 lbs bombs (huge Unsung fan) on a CAS mission... It doesn't have to be perfectly accurate - as realistic is what I'm shooting for - human error - performance - etc... I'll mark a position somehow - perhaps via some dialog - smoke - marker - - - once I know the release mechanism I can figure out when to trigger a release based on altitude and such to hit in the ballpark of a target...

Thanks for your time and sorry for the dup...

Regards,
Scott  

this one is the most brute force one of them

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/forceWeaponFire

all the other commands that work morr inside the AI routines are listed on that same page below. this won't do any aiming and stuff though i think. for that you can use setVector commands to orient the bomb roughly towards the target. maybe also apply some exrta velocity using that same vector and vectorMultiply.

just some general hints since that seems to be all you're looking for. if you have a starting point feel free to paste it here. good for people tha have the same issue and read this later and fun for the peopel that are currently bore, like me :f:

• Like 1

@bad benson

Thanks so much - perfect - a starting point - yep - exactly what I was looking for...

"bore" - LOL - hardly - I'm only in and out around here - but "rock star" would probably be more appropriate...

Will do - it seems like a common question - I'll post here when I come up with something workable...

I'm probably just an intermediate level scripter - learning as I go - with TONS of trial and error - example of some code posted here:

Thanks again...

Regards,

Scott

1 hour ago, bad benson said:

this won't do any aiming and stuff though i think. for that you can use setVector commands to orient the bomb roughly towards the target. maybe also apply some exrta velocity using that same vector and vectorMultiply.

Hi...

Sorry - one follow up if you don't mind - confused on the "aiming" vector - shouldn't the dumb bomb fall off the aircraft and fall the same as if flown by the player - no aiming required providing the release point is correct ? What am I missing ?

Thanks for your patience...

Regards,

Scott