Weapons can be found anyway pretty much. But by look in these places the chance is higher.

Military Check Points: 

On all islands, found on cross sections (4 roads cross) tents will house anything from Ammo to a Glock. If your lucky 'a commander' will be there, they have a Red Hat and shoot at you so you know when you see them. On island one they will have the basic FNX pistol (45 ACP) On island 2/3 they will more than likely have a Glock (9 mm)

For the very lucky you may find a elite soldiers 'rare' they will have a AK-74 or M4 Carbine. (The best weapons)

PLEASE NOTE: Radios can give you the locations. Found at radio towers. Random spawn. (Battery) 

On island one there is normally "1" crash site normally a tan coloured jeep (for some reasons the developers haven't got the 'art' for the truck facing side ways so it will be on road going along the Y-axis (Up) 

On island 2/3: more jeeps and Humvees, found in military bases and fire stations only. Helecopter crashes anyway around the map 'LUCK'

Around crashes: military gear and weapons.

Island 2 and above! Military bases. Icon on map

Have you guessed it Guns

CAR BOOTS; SUV may sometimes have shotguns in.

Misc location for guns (be anywhere on map)

Bunkers

Watch towers

Building (rare) 

Guns/Ammo *= I don't know name

FNX pistol - 45 ACP clip(15)

Colt 911 - 45 ACP clip(7)

Glock - 9mn clip(18) GOOD

Magnum - 317' clip(6) (good)

Remington (shotg) - 10 cal clip (12)

//another shotgun very bad clip 2 :(

Reapeater - 7.62 clip(7)

Glospi rifle* - 7.62 clip(7)

Sniper Very Rare 7.62x32 (VPD)*

MP5k - 9mm clip(30)

AK-74u - 5.56x32 clip(30) ^F-rate

AKM -7.62x32 clip(30) ^F- damage

AK-74 - 5.56x32 clip(30) GOD

M4 Carbine - 5.56x42 GODS GOD

L82 RARE - 5.56x42 M4 basically

If you see the super 22 or the ampotations pistol don't pick them up, pea shooters basically. Your fis is better promise.

• Like 1

Very nice bit of information, thank you. :)

Also I found this while searching for something else aha, some of the information is inaccurate, however it should prove useful. 

Mini Dayz Guide

Well to be honest I went brain dead because I don't know my 7.62x43 from my 7.62x42 I'll fix it I'll edit thanks

Thanks. We really should have a sort of wiki for this game aha. I have found a few, but none of them are completed. Like they were started, but then lost interest. The most completed one is the one that I linked, but even that has some missing information, and some inaccuracies.

I found this answer on reddit.

I came across one and picked up a radio. You could put batteries in it for a charge and use it to locate crash sites which had some loot.