Sign in to follow this  
madrussian

Quick Dedicated Server question

Doing my best to get a quick Dedicated Server up and running.  Small problem, not seeing my game on the Server Browser.  Here's everything I did:

(I have 3 PCs with ArmA3, using 2 of them in this case.)

First, I read through the instructions here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg

I'm able to set up a local Dedicated Server (which works great!) like this:

1. On PC #1, fire up A3 normally.

2. On PC #2, check Server box in Launcher, fire up A3.

3. On PC #1, go to Server Browser -> SERVERS -> LAN.  I see my Dedicated Server game, join game, everything good to go.

4. Create a CONFIG_server.cfg on PC #2, provide hostname and admins[] parameters (included PC #1's UID as admin) , restart both games, verify host name and admin works.  Again, everything good so far!

Now I'm ready to get Dedicated Server working online.

1. Log into router, I set up port forwarding for PC #2 for ports 2302-2305.

2. On PC #1, fire up A3 normally.

3. On PC #2, check Server box in Launcher, fire up A3.

4. On PC #1, go to Server Browser -> SERVERS -> INTERNET.  I don't see my Dedicated Server game.

At this point seems like I should check Windows 10 network settings.

On PC #2, I open Windows Control Panel, go to System and Security -> Windows Firewall -> "Allow an App or Feature through Firewall".  I see five instances of Arma 3.  I click "Details" on each one, and see the following: Two instances of "arma3.exe" (one with private checked, one public checked), two instance of "arma 3_x64.exe" (one with private checked, one with public checked), one instance of "arma3launcher.exe" (with both private and public checked).  I enable (check the box to the left) for all 5 items.  Strangely, I don't see "D:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 3\arma3server_x64.exe" in the list (which I do see on PC #1).  I add "D:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 3\arma3server_x64.exe" to PC #2, check the boxes for both private and public, and enable (checking the box to the left).

I then retry the steps above (online attempt) with same result, I don't see my game on Server Browser -> Servers -> Internet.

Anyone know what I'm probably missing?

Quick update:

Interesting... I (still) see my Dedicated Server game under LAN, not INTERNET.  Now I'm curious...

When I go to Arma 3 Launcher, click Parameters, in Host section check the Server checkbox, then launch by clicking PLAY, dedicated server comes up as expected (a small "Arma 3 Console" window in upper-left corner of the screen).

Question is, when I launch a dedicated server in this way, is this local to my LAN only -or- should it be visible to outside internet (provided I opened the ports correctly on my router, etc)?

In other words, is it possible to have some clients join via LAN and others join via Internet (at the same time into same DS game)?

Another way to ask this.  Seeing as PC #2 is running my dedicated server (launched as described above via launcher's "Server" checkbox) and PC #1 can see the game in LAN section of in-game server browser, does that by definition mean that this dedicated server game won't show up to anyone who is looking for it in the INTERNET section of the in-game server browser?

^ Hope that all made sense.

Btw- Basically, I've got 3 computers running Arma 3 on my LAN and want to get my dad (who has Arma 3 also) on my dedicated server game over internet (he lives in another town).  I'd like to create dedicated server on one of my PCs, have my other two PCs connect via LAN, and have my dad connect via internet.  Is this even possible?  Or do I have get everyone connected to DS via internet (even my 2-3 computers which are physically connected by LAN having to connect to the DS game via internet, which would seem a bit silly.)

Are u using the correct ip while forwarding the port , also advice to open 2300-2310 , both udp and tcp

5 minutes ago, claws01 said:

Are u using the correct ip while forwarding the port

Hopefully yes.  The way my router is set up, on main page you select "Customize Firewall", and get a list of devices.  You add "user-defined applications" where you specify ports, etc.  Select name of device, then add said user-defined applications to that device.  So I assume it's tracking/managing the IP of each device.  That's how I added the port forwarding to my PC #2.  (Maybe I need to reboot the router after making the port forwarding settings changes?)  Looks like it's possible to also enter an IP directly and open the ports that way.  I'll have to give that a shot.  I'd like to try your other ideas as well.

The part that is throwing me off right now is that I fire up my DS on PC #2 and clearly see it running from server browser LAN section on PC #1.

Makes me think there are two distinct possibilities regarding dedicated servers:

1. There are two types of DS games:  Local DS games, and Internet DS games.  Local DS games are only ever visible in Server Browser's LAN section.  Internet DS games are only ever visible in Server Browser's INTERNET section.  (Consequently, hybrid of LAN and INTERNET connections in same game is not possible.) 

- OR -

2. There is one type of DS game.  A single DS game will be visible for local LAN connected PCs in Server Browser's LAN section, while that same DS game will be visible to outside PCs in Server Browser's INTERNET section.  (Consequently, a hybrid of connections is allowed.  Some PCs can be connected to DS via LAN, while simultaneously others can be connected via INTERNET.)

Anyone know which is correct?  It seems difficult to test for me currently, as atm I can't manage to create a DS I can see in Server Browser's INTERNET section.

How I proceed in my troubleshooting depends on which of these is true.  Lol, I've had my poor nephew checking for my game from my dad's computer (in different city) for hours, while I try different things, and I think he's about to give up.  Would be nice to know that if I see the game in LAN section on my end, he'll never see it in INTERNET section on his end (if that's the case).

Ok from what u telling , I can see you not setting your ip, make sure you open those port on the modem as well (if u have separate router and modem) , and for the ip type what s my ip on google or ipconfig on cmd, then add that ip to your router port forwarding , also inside windows firewall open bot tcp and udp for inbound and outbound rules

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I found a great video which very concisely and precisely shows how to port forward Arma 3.

Includes exactly which IPs to put where, at each step along the way (which was apparently my stumbling block).  Highly recommended!