EasternGamer

Jet's DLC Balancing REQUIRED

Change it?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be changed?

• YES
    • NO

As of recent I haven't really spoken up about this but there is a major problem with the current missile system for helicopters and their survivability.

The main issue's relate to the MH-9 HummingBird and main blufor choppers.

The main balance issue that came with the Jets DLC was the power of just the infantry AA launchers. They currently will only need 1 shot from the launcher to destroy a HummingBird. This is a major issue because you will have absolutely no warning and you might just explode. This could kill up to 7 people instantly. This makes a pilot like me who uses the thing every often and has learned how to land after being crippled before the update.

The point here is that if it is a 1 shot there should at least be a warning or no warning but then at least will take more than 1 shot.

You might say its unrealistic but then when you think about it, it is. This is not real life. This is a game where you try balance fun over realism and this is where I'd say the fun aspect needs to be increased for the chopper pilot who has spent hours and hours flying and is then just taken out by an absolute noob who has around 5 hours in the game who knows how to press T and click. 

21 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

This is a game where you try balance fun over realism

no

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

So what. All realism no fun?

Fun through realism.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Night515 said:

Fun through realism.

Not much fun when you die instantly because you had no warning or chance to save the chopper.

3 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

Not much fun when you die instantly because you had no warning or chance to save the chopper.

Stay low then. There is no reason to have a chopper at high altitudes expect for CAS runs and such.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pipewr3nch said:

Stay low then. There is no reason to have a chopper at high altitudes expect for CAS runs and such.

5 meters above the ground low enough? It doesn't help if they are camping on hills(KOTH) and shoot down.

1 minute ago, EasternGamer said:

5 meters above the ground low enough? It doesn't help if they are camping on hills(KOTH) and shoot down.

If you know where they are, why don't you just evade them? And KOTH is the worst game mode in ArmA. I like the realism, and I doubt Bohemia Interactive is going to change it for one game mode.

• Like 1

I have to agree it is a game. So EVERYONE should be able to enjoy their own style of play. 

That being said an aircraft like a little bird has zero survivability against an anti air missle. They are light, fast and agile. They are not meant to fly into severe threat areas with dedicated AA defenses. 

No video game is realism. You want realistic to the letter, go sign up and get shot at, have your family pray every night that you'll get to see them one last time. Miss holidays and birthdays and first words and graduations. This game does however try to simulate certain aspects of warfare, and it does THAT better than most. But it's not fair to simply say one person or the other can't enjoy their arma experience simply because of their style of play. 

• Like 4

it isn't needed....if you wanna "balance" for whatever shitty or not gamemode you playing, then edit the mission, or create a small addon to change the damage of the manpads....

• Like 5

Maybe you should ask the KOTH developers to make their mission more fun then. They might make the helo more durable, add a missile warning system, or remove AA for example.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pipewr3nch said:

If you know where they are, why don't you just evade them? And KOTH is the worst game mode in ArmA. I like the realism, and I doubt Bohemia Interactive is going to change it for one game mode.

Understand this. If you are tasked to land in any AO with a large amounts of people early in a mission and you get one shot because you used a hummingbird. It would have ruined the entire night for a lot of people if it was a one life only mission. The point is that even though it was the wrong decision it pretty much wouldn't matter how much experience you had in the situation you would still not be able save the people in that chopper due to the changes. Bohemia considers KOTH as an official Gamemode which means it should be taken into account slightly when it comes to changes like this. -Everytime I make a post like this complaining about a game mechanic which I have to deal with and others normally don't people always don't want to changed for no apparent  given reason. 

2 minutes ago, Greenfist said:

Maybe you should ask the KOTH developers to make their mission more fun then. They might make the helo more durable, add a missile warning system, or remove AA for example.

You can't simply "Add a missile system" and to remove AA completely would be a disaster. To add the missile system its something the game devs have to add.

Tbh I really thought I would get constructive feedback from this. All I see is "u wanna "balance" for whatever shitty or not gamemode you playing" like completely rude and "If you know where they are, why don't you just evade them?" which makes it seem you think I am so stupid that I haven't thought of that before.

4 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

You can't simply "Add a missile system" and to remove AA completely would be a disaster. To add the missile system its something the game devs have to add.

Are you sure? Couldn't incomingMissile event handler just sound an alarm when locked?

In a combined arms mission you would move a ground force into those areas to remove the AA threat before pushing through with little birds. Or lase them and take them out with AG missiles from farther away.

I just don't want to see nerfing or balancing for one game mode that would basically kill it for all the other coop and mp games.

Just my uneducated opinion.

Fire

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

Bohemia considers KOTH as an official Gamemode which means it should be taken into account slightly when it comes to changes like this. 

really? since when? do you have a source for that?

afaik they only consider Official the few gamemods they have released themselves....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PuFu said:

really? since when? do you have a source for that?

afaik they only consider Official the few gamemods they have released themselves....

Well its hosted on their official tab in servers. Idk but that makes it pretty official to me..

14 minutes ago, FireWalker said:

In a combined arms mission you would move a ground force into those areas to remove the AA threat before pushing through with little birds. Or lase them and take them out with AG missiles from farther away.

I just don't want to see nerfing or balancing for one game mode that would basically kill it for all the other coop and mp games.

Just my uneducated opinion.

Fire

Thanks for that response. But the settings weren't like this before. Those gamemodes were never killed by it. I can only see one reason for them being buffed and that is the new jets. But if the damage was tweaked so you maybe took enough damage to completely cripple like 1 AA shot and you explode then I would be fine because before the update I could survive the shot, land and get back into the AO, KOTH is said gamemode and its a pretty large one at that.

Its for those people who like to play on a daily basis who want to get into the action fast. Pretty much for those that don't fly it doesn't matter to them. But for someone who has spent hours and hours and hours flying crashing and learning on techniques for surviving landings and low altitude flying to be mostly thrown away by a small and almost unnoticeable change when it comes to infantry it just makes me upset. 

- I think the discussion is pretty much over. It seems to be the overwhelming support to never change anything that has been changed. 

I understand your feelings on this though. I used to fly jets every night that I played. Since they changed the way the throttle works, I've only "tried" to fly them twice since the jets DLC came out. The throttle changed completely killed the fun of flying for me. (my favorite part sometimes is just the taking off and landing, flying around gets boring after awhile.) I can't barely get an airplane down on the main runway on Altis now, let alone trying to hit the Nimitz with an F-18.

6 minutes ago, FireWalker said:

I understand your feelings on this though. I used to fly jets every night that I played. Since they changed the way the throttle works, I've only "tried" to fly them twice since the jets DLC came out. The throttle changed completely killed the fun of flying for me. (my favorite part sometimes is just the taking off and landing, flying around gets boring after awhile.) I can't barely get an airplane down on the main runway on Altis now, let alone trying to hit the Nimitz with an F-18.

Really? What changed with the throttle? You need to add both axis to the control. -x and +x to get full control. 

You might have forgotten to do that. I never realised it for like a full year.. xD

It used to be staged. Now its set up more like a true simulator. Also I always used the keyboard for my throttle. Only used the joystick for a couple things. Believe me, I went through all the setups.

3 minutes ago, FireWalker said:

It used to be staged. Now its set up more like a true simulator. Also I always used the keyboard for my throttle. Only used the joystick for a couple things. Believe me, I went through all the setups.

Ah okay. But feel ya when something small changes which effects you majorly. 

This game is built around things not being a very unrealistic way. IRL, a single AA heatseeker missile can bring down (or irreparably damage) pretty much anything.