Tankbuster

clients see different colours for same car

In my MP mission, the cars are spawned server side, and they appear to have different colours for different clients. Two different players looking at the same car

d08843e819.jpg

1d5090f673.jpg

• Like 1

Although I've only pictured an offroad, it happened with all the civvy cars in the mission

You need to stop this f...g randomization:

_veh setVariable ["BIS_enableRandomization", false]; ... For each vehicles, if I'm right.

• Like 3

But... but.....

These are spawned on the server, so their colour is set at random there. Why would they show differently for clients?

I don't know exactly. I guess it's probably for skipping some accessory synchronization. You pass object, position, direction but not appearance.

_vec setVariable ["BIS_enableRandomization", false];

Seems to have no effect, for c_hatchback_01_f at least. All players see different colours.

I removed the enablerandomization line and used

[_vec, true, true] call BIS_fnc_initVehicle;

This makes the cars all the same colour, but it does, at least, mean all players see the same.  There's two different classes of hatchback, the normal and the sport, so it's possible to have at least some variation.

disableRandomization[] = {"AllVehicles"};

In description.ext claims to turn it all off, but it doesn't. Players see different colour cars, vans and pickups. *sigh*

• Sad 1

At least, for edited cars, you can choose sometimes the appearance. This seems to be sync on clients.
For respawning a car with the same appearance, you need to script.

• Like 1

Yes, that's what I'm doing. Old civcars array (that scripts randomly pick from when populating towns)

civcars =["C_Offroad_01_F","C_Offroad_luxe_F", "C_Offroad_01_sand_F", "C_Offroad_stripped_F", "C_Hatchback_01_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_F", "C_Van_01_transport_F", "C_Van_01_box_F", "C_Van_01_fuel_F","C_Offroad_02_unarmed_F", "C_SUV_01_F", "C_Truck_02_transport_F", "C_Truck_02_covered_F"];

New civcars array

civcars =
[
"C_Offroad_01_red_F","C_Offroad_luxe_F", "C_Offroad_01_sand_F", "C_Offroad_stripped_F", "C_Offroad_01_white_F","C_Offroad_01_blue_F","C_Offroad_01_darkred_F", "C_Offroad_01_bluecustom_F",
"C_Hatchback_01_grey_F", "C_Hatchback_01_green_F", "C_Hatchback_01_blue_F", "C_Hatchback_01_bluecustom_F", "C_Hatchback_01_beigecustom_F", "C_Hatchback_01_yellow_F", "C_Hatchback_01_white_F", "C_Hatchback_01_black_F", "C_Hatchback_01_dark_F",
"C_Hatchback_01_sport_red_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_blue_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_orange_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_white_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_grey_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_green_F",
"SUV_01_base_red_F", "SUV_01_base_black_F", "SUV_01_base_grey_F", "SUV_01_base_orange_F",
"C_Van_01_transport_white_F", "C_Van_01_transport_red_F",
"C_Van_01_box_white_F", "C_Van_01_box_red_F",
"C_Van_01_fuel_white_F", "C_Van_01_fuel_red_F", "C_Van_01_fuel_white_v2_F", "C_Van_01_fuel_red_v2_F",
"C_Offroad_02_unarmed_black_F", "C_Offroad_02_unarmed_blue_F", "C_Offroad_02_unarmed_green_F", "C_Offroad_02_unarmed_orange_F", "C_Offroad_02_unarmed_red_F", "C_Offroad_02_unarmed_white_F",
"C_Truck_02_transport_F",
"C_Truck_02_covered_F",
"C_Quadbike_01_black_F", "C_Quadbike_01_blue_F", "C_Quadbike_01_red_F", "C_Quadbike_01_white_F"
];

I'm not the first person to say this and I won't be the last; "Dear BI. This 'feature' you just introduced has just made the game worse"

And this still happens with IDAP vehicles.

In multiplayer, serverside spawning of multiple "C_Van_02_vehicle_F" results in players seeing different skins on all of them.

At least, give us the classnames of the vehicles in their different skins.

Ah, I get it....

[_vehicle, "", []] call BIS_fnc_initvehicle;

Am I right?

On 7/23/2017 at 9:25 AM, Tankbuster said:

Yes, that's what I'm doing. Old civcars array (that scripts randomly pick from when populating towns)

civcars =["C_Offroad_01_F","C_Offroad_luxe_F", "C_Offroad_01_sand_F", "C_Offroad_stripped_F", "C_Hatchback_01_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_F", "C_Van_01_transport_F", "C_Van_01_box_F", "C_Van_01_fuel_F","C_Offroad_02_unarmed_F", "C_SUV_01_F", "C_Truck_02_transport_F", "C_Truck_02_covered_F"];

New civcars array

civcars =
[
"C_Offroad_01_red_F","C_Offroad_luxe_F", "C_Offroad_01_sand_F", "C_Offroad_stripped_F", "C_Offroad_01_white_F","C_Offroad_01_blue_F","C_Offroad_01_darkred_F", "C_Offroad_01_bluecustom_F",
"C_Hatchback_01_grey_F", "C_Hatchback_01_green_F", "C_Hatchback_01_blue_F", "C_Hatchback_01_bluecustom_F", "C_Hatchback_01_beigecustom_F", "C_Hatchback_01_yellow_F", "C_Hatchback_01_white_F", "C_Hatchback_01_black_F", "C_Hatchback_01_dark_F",
"C_Hatchback_01_sport_red_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_blue_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_orange_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_white_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_grey_F", "C_Hatchback_01_sport_green_F",
"SUV_01_base_red_F", "SUV_01_base_black_F", "SUV_01_base_grey_F", "SUV_01_base_orange_F",
"C_Van_01_fuel_white_F", "C_Van_01_fuel_red_F", "C_Van_01_fuel_white_v2_F", "C_Van_01_fuel_red_v2_F",
"C_Offroad_02_unarmed_black_F", "C_Offroad_02_unarmed_blue_F", "C_Offroad_02_unarmed_green_F", "C_Offroad_02_unarmed_orange_F", "C_Offroad_02_unarmed_red_F", "C_Offroad_02_unarmed_white_F",
"C_Truck_02_covered_F",
"C_Quadbike_01_black_F", "C_Quadbike_01_blue_F", "C_Quadbike_01_red_F", "C_Quadbike_01_white_F"
];

I'm not the first person to say this and I won't be the last; "Dear BI. This 'feature' you just introduced has just made the game worse"

Well, something must have changed because this feature isn't really new. :whistle:  I will test on my side and see what's happening there.

In short, the system is triggered from the init event handler of the given vehicle, then it picks a variant according to the config (class TextureSources via the array TextureList) and eventually applies it.

On 9/9/2017 at 0:06 AM, Tom_48_97 ☠ said:

Well, something must have changed because this feature isn't really new. :whistle:  I will test on my side and see what's happening there.

In short, the system is triggered from the init event handler of the given vehicle, then it picks a variant according to the config (class TextureSources via the array TextureList) and eventually applies it.

the problem is the randomization is done in an init event handler script, which is executed globally. stick a local check in there and if MP then setobjecttextureglobal instead of setobjecttexture. it happens 100% of the time with zeus-spawned vehicles, for easy repro.

its been around for awhile, not new

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

_blah = [_mycar, "", []] call BIS_fnc_initvehicle;

Isn't quite what I'm after, it seems. :( Apologies for venting my frustrations here, but I'm right at the edge of my abilities making this mission doing stuff that I'm hoping no-one has seen before, yet the elementary and most basic stuff seems to evade me.

I've fixed up the 'clients seeing different colour cars' issue. Yey, go me, only for it to become painfully obvious that something still isn't quite right.

AD675E7E76647652511E7584CD1EE2F124D80D25

All the offroads are red, all the hatchbacks are white, all the offroad_2_unarmed are black and all the sport hatches are pink, and all the van_02_transports are white.

I've been pouring over the documentation AGAIN, trying to figure this out. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

// send me an object and I will randomise its texture and global it
params ["_obj"];
private ["_textures","_mytexturelist","_texturesources"];
switch (true) do
	{
		case (_obj isKindOf "Van_02_transport_base_F"):// custom choice because we can't choose from all the available minibus texs
			{
				_textures = ["\a3\Soft_F_Orange\Van_02\Data\van_body_Syndikat_CO.paa","\a3\Soft_F_Orange\Van_02\Data\van_body_Vrana_CO.paa","\a3\Soft_F_Orange\Van_02\Data\van_body_bluepearl_CO.paa","\a3\Soft_F_Orange\Van_02\Data\van_body_fuel_CO.paa","\a3\Soft_F_Orange\Van_02\Data\van_body_green_CO.paa","\a3\Soft_F_Orange\Van_02\Data\van_body_black_CO.paa","\a3\Soft_F_Orange\Van_02\Data\van_body_red_CO.paa", "\a3\Soft_F_Orange\Van_02\Data\van_body_blue_CO.paa","\a3\Soft_F_Orange\Van_02\Data\van_body_orange_CO.paa","\a3\Soft_F_Orange\Van_02\Data\van_body_white_CO.paa"];
				_obj setObjectTextureGlobal [0, (selectRandom _textures)];
			};
		case (_obj isKindOf "Heli_Transport_02_base_F"): // custom choice because not all of the texs are good, plus there's 3 texs to be applied
			{
	            if ((random 1) > 0.5  ) then
	                {
	                _obj setObjectTextureGlobal [0,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_1_dahoman_co.paa"];
	                _obj setObjectTextureGlobal [1,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_2_dahoman_co.paa"];
	                _obj setObjectTextureGlobal [2,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_3_dahoman_co.paa"];
	                }
	                else
	                {
	                _obj setObjectTextureGlobal [0,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_1_ion_co.paa"];
	                _obj setObjectTextureGlobal [1,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_2_ion_co.paa"];
	                _obj setObjectTextureGlobal [2,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_3_ion_co.paa"];
	                };
			};
		default// everything else, grab all the available texs and choose one at random
			{
				_mytexturelist = (getArray (configFile/"CfgVehicles"/typeOf _obj/"texturelist")) select {typeName _x isEqualTo "STRING"};// array also contains numbers, remove them
				_texturesources = [];
				if (not (_mytexturelist isEqualTo [])) then
				{
					{
						_texturesources pushback ((getArray (configFile/"CfgVehicles"/typeOf _obj/"texturesources"/_x/"textures")) select 0);
					}foreach _mytexturelist;
					if (not (isnil "_texturesources")) then
						{
							_obj setObjectTextureGlobal [0,selectRandom _texturesources];
						};
				};
			};
	};

I will waive my normal consultancy fee for fixing (read: making it work in multiplayer) your stuff, BI.

On 08/09/2017 at 4:06 AM, Tom_48_97 said:

Did you have time for tests? It seems better to remoteExec setObjectTexture rather than apply setObjectTextureGlobal.

Linked problem for custom insignia ? You can't display a custom insignia with description.ext, only with config.cpp in a common addon. I can't image why it's easier to apply a custom texture on a car than on an insignia...

Thanks

• Like 1

397040A917765ABA387FCD61AF41777985D6A947

A scene from the same mission with my own initvehicle function, updated code 2 posts above this.

(vehicles placed dynamically by my own carpark fill script)

• Like 1

hello guys!
i readed this forum and i'm quite amazed how the problem was solved, and before use this solution i wish to ask your opinion, because i've actually the inverse problem since tank DLC update.
i explain: before tanks DLC, all civilians, vehicles ecc were "randomized" not only in skin, but also in gadgets, and that was really good for me (even if the colour bug was there).
now all offroads are red, all hatchbacks are white, all truck are white with black rear ecc.. and all civilians wear same dress with same gadgets!
how can i turn back on the randomizer?
beware...in editor MP all is randomized, just on dedicated it is no longer randomized!
thanks !

@Tankbuster Well I know this thread is 6 months old but after seeing your recent posts in the Developer Forum linking to this post I thought I would test it out.

I do not see anything wrong.

Using the description.ext property

disableRandomization[] = { "AllVehicles" };

disables all randomisation for me of vehicles either editor placed or spawned on the fly.

Spawning vehicles on the server and using BI's own function (BIS_fnc_initVehicle) to customise them...

TAG_fnc_spawnVehicle = {
	params[ "_position", "_direction" ];

_civCars = [
		"C_Truck_02_covered_F",
	];

_vehType = selectRandom _civCars;
	_veh = createVehicle [ _vehType, _position, [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE" ];
	_veh setDir _direction;

_randomTexture = configName( selectRandom ( "true"configClasses( configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> _vehType >> "TextureSources" )));

_randomSources = [];
	{
		//animtation phase is random 0 or 1
		_randomSources append [ configName _x, [ 0, 1 ] select ( random 1 >=  0.5 ) ];
	}forEach ( "getText( _x >> 'source' ) == 'user'"configClasses( configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> _vehType >> "animationSources" ));

[
		_veh,
		_randomTexture,
		_randomSources,
		true
	] call BIS_fnc_initVehicle;
};

...the vehicle look the same for all clients both texture and animation sources. I have tested on a dedicated including JIP. Am I missing something?

TEST_MISSION

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1