hello!
after adding few more AI units to my mission,running on dedicated server, i noticed that when another human player is in the server, things starts to rubberband really badly.
strange thing is that if i'm alone, all is fine.
first question is : is there a way to test my mission alone and get the rubberbanding like if there was another (or many more) player?
second question is: what cause this problem ? and how solve it? i mean, i know its "too many AI", but i noticed differences between script spawned units and 3Deden placed, and more...

thanks for any help!

I encountered rubberbanding only if the AI spawning HC get's a heavy long-lasting fps drop.
Maybe your server or HC is just overloaded?
How to solve it? u gave the answer urself "i know its "too many AI"...
additionally it could be to much wrecks, empty vehicles, groundweaponholders and so on.
Currently I've 1 HC to spawn in all AI and 1 HC whereto I offload all empty vecs, wrecks, goundweaponholders, dead bodies and so on periodically every ten minutes. I had very good experience with that. It nearly solved my servers/HC's fps drop problems.
My goal is to have 2 HC's which spawn AI in a balanced manner and 1 HC to execute scripts and handle the above described garbage...

Maybe this helps ... or not ... but I tried ;-)

nice , thanks sarogahtyp !

well...i forgot to declare that i run my dedicated from same PC i run my client, in the past i made a test with a friend, but result was that HC was congestionating netwrok traffic (towards a friend making the HC), and if i run an HC on my PC (thats a "third" process, considering the dedicated and the client) the result is even worse. so in fact i abandoned HC.

anyway my mission still has an HC entity placed in editor....but i suppose its doing nothing, right?
the real problem for me is that i cant "test", because i need at least another player inside to notice this huge rubberbanding! any idea how can i do this all alone ?
thanks man !

Check basic.cfg ( decrecrease min and mx error send ) till rubberbanding stop

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

thanks!
i'm using TADST to run server, are the same configs, right ?
right now are 0.001 and 0.01, can i go lower than that ?

If units or vecs behave as if they are pinned with a rubber band. They move some small distance and then they warp to the start position. Then they move and warp again. Every time between same positions as if they are pulled by a rubber band. If u are a German it's translated as gummiband

sent from mobile using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, sarogahtyp said:

If units or vecs behave if they are pinned with a rubberband. They move some small distance and then they warp to the start position. Then they move and warp again. Every time between same positions as if they are pulled by a rubber band. If u are a German it's translated as gummiband

sent from mobile using Tapatalk

Hi, no, just French but your explanation is clear. Thanks. I experienced that on some servers with bad pings and especially in "high-speed" vehicles.

that happened to me:

i'm tracking down the problem to a script....still hunting....

That's lag and can be based on bad scripting . But please post your basic.cfg also max download and upload speed of your server . Because wrong value and affect your server like the video

Looks like a desync between the "unit manager" server or HC and the client.

ok the bug-hunting is to an end.
i found a script that was causing it, my fault, documentation clearly named to run just 1 iteration of  it, i was running  it twice.

anyway, as claws01 asked, here are my specs:
i5 4440 3.10ghz
12gb ram
no SSD :(

EDIT : forgot to mention my connection is a poor 7mb/s download and 0.4 upload !

i use TADST, dont know if i have a basic.cfg or server.cfg, but i suppose the interesting settings are this:
maximum messages send: 128
max size guaranteed :         512      bytes
max size NON guaranteed: 256      bytes
min bandwidth                   : 128    (kbit/s)
max bandwidth                  : 2000 (mbit/s)
min error to send               : 0.001
min error to send near       : 0.01
max custom file size          : 160    (kb)
max packet size                :  1400

thanks for the help!

u ve a 2 GBit connection at home? that is fast...

My adjustments of servers performance setting with 1GBit symmetric connection:

# Minimal error to send updates across network.
# Using a smaller value can make units  observed by binoculars or sniper rifle to move smoother at the trade off of
# increased network traffic.
# Default: 0.001 (was 0.01 until ARMA 2:OA version 1.60, ARMA 2 version 1.11 uses 0.01)
MinErrorToSend = 0.004;

# Minimal error to send updates across network for near units.
# Using larger value can reduce traffic sent for near units. Used to control client to server traffic as well.
# Introduced in ArmA 2 1.60, Default: 0.01
MinErrorToSendNear= 0.04;  

nononono!

sorry, my fault, i forgot to mention my connection is a shitty 7Mb/s download and 0.40mb/s upload!
sry!

okay. as ur bandwith is very unsymmetric with a very low upload value I m unsure which good settings are.

idk if u r aware but these values are in bits per second. ur available download bandwidth is then:

7 * 1024 * 1024 = 7340032 bit/s

same for upload is:

128 * 1024 = 131072

with a symmetric bandwidth the optimal settings are for max just the maximum and for min its a 10th of the maximum.

In ur case I would try:

MaxBandwidth = 7340032;

MinBandwidth  = 13107;

I think u should also increase the following values because they are very bandwidth related:

min error to send               : 0.001
min error to send near       : 0.01

as u can see in my above post, I ve chosen higher values than u even if I ve a much better bandwith.

Edited by sarogahtyp

Huge thanks man !! Tonight will test with some friends !

Yep your connection to low

...still no friends around....hope tomorrow...

finally was able to test with 3 friends....was a problem with a script.
seems my settings are ok for my poor connection for now!
thanks!

just for the records....got some friends for more tests...
for my connection (7mb down 0.4mb up) seems that this config works best:
min error to send               : 0.0001
min error to send near       : 0.04
no rubberbanding near, and no rubberbanding on units far away (30 infantry units and 3 vehicles at 1500m)

Not familiar with dedicated server, but often playing on hosted with some guys  17 000 km far away and a 8 Mbps 0.5 Mbps on hosted side.

I just wonder wether if some automatic settings for hosted (as far as there is not so often rubberbanding) could be picked up somewhere and applied to dedi server?

what you mean with "automatic settings" ? a sort of setting that adapt to connection avaible speed ? nice idea.

4 hours ago, dlegion said:

what you mean with "automatic settings" ? a sort of setting that adapt to connection avaible speed ? nice idea.

I mean I didn't care for any settings (except open ports)  on hosted server, and it's fine. So, I imagine, not sure, that there are some auto bandwidth or else to adapt along with pings or...

@claws01 good one, i tried, worked good on near units, but on my test, units at 1500m rubberband a bit.
@pierremgi eh! would be awesome!