Varis

Getting up to speed with ARMA3 / community

On August 17, 2017 at 0:25 PM, djotacon said:

I strongly advise against joining a clan.

I suggest find players to your same player level and the same game knowledge and play all missions in a private level or in a public server to achive the maximum level of fun.

If you want to play more tactically you can learn and try exactly the same tactics learning from a book and put this ideas with your game friends.

To me is the best way lo play Arma 3.

You don't say why you advise against joining a group. Would be interested to know.

• Like 2

Mostly because that guy can reliably gather 5 or 6 friends to play Arma, doesn't want to do very large scale and as such he doesn't need a clan.

That guy as in @Varis or that guy as in @djotacon ??

I could've easily missed it but I thought the last thing the OP said was.....

On 8/16/2017 at 4:10 PM, Varis said:

The search for the clan is still on, in principle. I guess I got a bit overwhelmed, like many people do, I think. A categorized index of clans could be nice (how about a few lists in wiki if that doesn't exist already)

IMO one of the best shortcuts to learning both how to play the game and how to play the game tactically is through a good group. I'll admit, its a challenge to find the right one, which includes the size of the group itself, but it can pay off big time once its found. Ultimately, the advantages of a group are the collective knowledge, constant feedback and not having to re-invent the 'tactical' wheel.

From what I've seen, outside of the more established groups many are between 8-15 players and everyone seems to be doing direct action stuff making for scale small on headcount and mission type.

These are my reasons I think a group is the best way to play Arma 3.

These are just my thoughts of course and the OP has to do the hard work of finding the group and becoming part of its family. And ultimately its Arma and can be played any which way every player wants to :f:

• Like 1

I make my answer based on this question ( 1st post)

Question (for newbs and vets):

If you started with ARMA today, what would you do to get the most out of it as soon as possible?

And based on that I provide the best answer.

You don't say why you advise against joining a group. Would be interested to know.

Sorry I'm not interested to provide an answer of that, my previous post contains my opinion that's all.

5 hours ago, djotacon said:

Sorry I'm not interested to provide an answer of that, my previous post contains my opinion that's all.

Okay.

Another titbit for doing well with Arma, don't play the game while eating a banana. I'm not going to tell you why I give that advice, just don't do it. As matter of fact, stay away from eating any type of fruit while Arma is running, just to be safe.

Again, won't detail why, just trust me on this.

And don't drink Coke. Weird stuff is bound to happen and you will spill it on your keyboard. On the more serious side, if you don't have a lot of friends (preferably irl) who play Arma, I'd say it's best to join a group. Choose wisely - if you end up in a group that turns out to be completely wrong for you, it's probably going to cost everyone bad blood. Personally I recommend you stay away from roleplay milsim groups, especially as a new player.

2 hours ago, Rich_R said:

Okay.

Another titbit for doing well with Arma, don't play the game while eating a banana. I'm not going to tell you why I give that advice, just don't do it. As matter of fact, stay away from eating any type of fruit while Arma is running, just to be safe.

Again, won't detail why, just trust me on this.

As I suspect you only want another flamebait, good luck with that and the bananas.

3 minutes ago, SpacePilotMax said:

And don't drink Coke. Weird stuff is bound to happen and you will spill it on your keyboard. On the more serious side, if you don't have a lot of friends (preferably irl) who play Arma, I'd say it's best to join a group. Choose wisely - if you end up in a group that turns out to be completely wrong for you, it's probably going to cost everyone bad blood. Personally I recommend you stay away from roleplay milsim groups, especially as a new player.

Now Rich_R has two good answers without creating an issue with people with different opinions.

Enjoy your "safespace" Rich_R.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:25 PM, djotacon said:

I suggest find players to your same player level and the same game knowledge and play all missions in a private level or in a public server to achive the maximum level of fun.

That could be a working approach too and actually it's been a bit like that lately. I've been taking it casual, mostly due to lack of focus, and sinking a couple of hours to ARMA MP whenever I've had them to spare. I've found a few nice players and hooked up with them, sadly they haven't been active this week.

I've found myself mostly playing PvP multiplayer, partly because I enjoy the unpredictable challenge of playing against human opponents, but also because the game experience is more predictable with the PvP game modes. For a while my mainstay was KotH, but now I'm graduating to CTI (capture the island) mode. Playing on the EUTW server, the latter appears better designed at the end of the day. The infantry action is well focused on the control points, so no walking through ghost towns. Vehicles are better balanced than KotH, you get to buy the high end stuff at the end of the round but it's hard to dominate the battlefield. Infantry deploys quickly with fast travel - eliminating the frustration of deployment, and while the ever present helicopter taxis aren't seen in this mode, there is still some role for helicopters. Sometimes I miss decent helicopter action with rockets and the works. But can't get everything in one package I guess.