neofit

Setting values in the console

I've done some C++ in my day, but the Arma scripting syntax is baffling me. I am not sure how to reference entities. I am talking about the console in a SP game.

For instance, to make an NPC switchable to, I type "addswitchableunit cursortarget". That's when I want to run the target through a function.

But how to I change a property of an already spawned object, like setting the MaximumLoad on an already spawned vehicle. What is the correct syntax? I point to it with the cursor, open the console, and am trying to type

cursortarget.MaximuLoad=1000000000;

or

cursortarget MaximuLoad=1000000000;

Blindly copying from other threads, I've tried stuff like

cursortarget setvariable["MaximumLoad", 1000000000];

to no avail.

All those stabs in the dark are probably funny to those in the know, but still, how would I go about changing a property?

Thanks.

Arma 3 syntax is pretty much straightforward.

At first you got a typo in your example.

Second you need to use proper commands as in every other language, neither MaximumLoad nor MaximuLoad are valid scripting commands.

Third: Changing object properties can be done to some extend using aforementioned scripting commands,

if you want access to everything you'd have to make a replacement config for every object/unit you want to change and make this into a mod.

To your problem:

For units you could try using setUnitTrait with "loadCoef" parameter.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

First, I wasn't copy/pasting in the post the stuff I was trying in the console, so yes, typos can occur :)

Second, I never inferred that MaximumLoad was a command, I referred to it as a "property" or whatever the term is in Arma and was asking how to modify it, and have tried using a simple operator.

Third, I know about the way to change it from a mod, I've even contributed to Rydigier's "Big Trunk" add-on with some vehicle classes I figured were left out. But from time to time you find something new in a mission that's not modified by the add-on, and it's too late since it's already spawned. So I was wondering if there was a way to modify it from a console.

setUnitTrait does not seem to work on vehicles.

In general you can't change config properties unless they are exposed from a particular script command, like setUnitTrait. It is the case for almost all config properties that you cannot change them unless you modify the addon. I believe you can in VBS, but that won't help you here. It seems from the talk page on Biki - if you look at the bottom - that you are not alone in your request: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Talk:setUnitTrait .