Flax

Flax's Arma Server Tool (F.A.S.T.)

qk7hJEl.png

INTRO

After some time using and getting annoyed with the repetitiveness of SteamCMD, I looked around for a tool to automate at least some of process of installing an Arma 3 server and managing workshop mods. Having looked through a few options, none of which matched what i was looking for I decided it would be easier to build it myself. F.A.S.T. is the result of that, this is the first iteration and I will continue to expand and update it as and when needed.  Thanks go out to Optix for his Remote Arma Server tool that gave me some ideas for my tool. Also, a massive thank you to Kju and Friznit for testing and bug reporting for me.

PREREQUISITES

• Steam account with valid copy of Arma 3.
  • Basic understanding of Arma 3 dedicated servers.

DOWNLOADS AND INSTALL

Download the zip file from below, unzip the contents to a folder or your choice and run the tool.

SCREENSHOTS

bQWL3kp.png

FEATURES

• Automated install and update of SteamCMD.
  • Manage and launch Arma server (TADST like features).
  • Works with existing SteamCMD and Arma 3 server installs.
  • Steam Guard support.
  • Steam Mobile Auth support.
  • Encrypts and remembers steam password.
  • Automated install and update of Arma 3 Server Main Branch.
  • Automated install and update of Arma 3 Server Dev Branch (see below for warning).
  • Adding, downloading and updating steam workshop mods.
  • Adding, downloading and updating of Private/ Friends only steam workshop mods.
  • Manually update all or individual mods.
  • Mass import of mods using Arma 3 launcher pre-set file.
  • Copying of mod keys to server folder on each update (and in bulk)
  • Symlink of steam workshop mod folders to Arma 3 server folder with readable names.
  • Correct handling of removing mods:
    • Removes mod local files and symlinks.
    • Cleans up steam workshop ACF file correctly.
  • Displays last update date for mods and server.
  • Displays SteamCMD output for troubleshooting.

FEATURES PLANNED

• Support multiple server installs.
  • Create .bat files to launch server.
  • Detect previously installed/ existing Workshop mods.
  • New modern UI/ UX.
  • Automatic updating of the tool.

KNOWN ISSUES

• See GitHub releases.

ISSUES AND FEEDBACK

I'll monitor this thread as best as i can but I will use this GitHub Repo for bugs, issues and feature suggestions. Any feedback is also welcome in this thread.

GitHub Issues

DEV BRANCH WARNING

Due to the available server builds on steam, to install a dev branch server you must install the main Arma 3 application dev branch then launch using the included

server binaries. Due to the way SteamCMD works this means that any mods that the account used to install the server is subscribed to will also be downloaded and updated when using Dev Branch. Currently these mods are mot detected/ added to F.A.S.T. but this will be added in future.

DOCUMENTATION

Is currently minimal but will be updated, in the meantime here are is some basic info that can also be found in the "Help" section on the tool.

Spoiler

STEAM UPDATER TAB

SteamCMD Settings is the input area for all Steam CMD related info:

• Directory - Folder where your steam CMD is located.
  • User and Password - For steam account with valid Arma 3 license.

Arma Server Settings are any settings relating to the server installation.

• Branch - which branch of the game you would like install/ update.
  • Directory - Folder where Arma 3 server is to be installed/ updated.

Last Update Info is the last time and branch that the update function was run.

• Update Button - Runs the update for Arma 3 server.
  • White Box on right hand side - displays output for steam CMD.
  • Progress bar displays progress of current task.
  • Cancel Button - Allows cancellation of any update task in process.

MODS TAB

Import Mods area allows mods to be added in the following ways:

• Adding from steam workshop URL.
  • Adding from Arma 3 launcher preset html file.
  • Adding of private/ friends only mod using workshop file ID.

Check for Updates Button - This will check using the Steam API to see if any mods have updates pending. This is also checked when the app launches.

Update All Button - this will cycle through all mods that have updates pending and update them. It will skip and mods that are reporting up to date.

Mods Table displays all info on the all mods you have added to the tool, most columns are self-explanatory however the last three have the following uses:

• Update; will force update the mod even if reporting up to date, this is useful if you think a mod is corrupted.
  • Details; will open the relevant steam workshop page for that mod in your browser.
  • Delete; will remove the mod from F.A.S.T. and remove all related local files.

In addition to this each row will be highlighted in a colour to show its status:

• Red; not installed.
  • Orange; update pending.
  • Green; up to date.
  • Blue; private mod that cannot be checked for updates.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

God job Flax... My group uses scripts to do the updating of the mods and that your app came in the right time, great work

• Like 1

Well done, this is exactly what the Arma community needed! Any plans for Linux support?

Is this intended to maintain standalone dedicated servers or to help content creators run an Arma Server on their "development" PC? I'm not really all that keen on keeping a real Steam account's credentials on a box that has public access and is a natural target for hacking.

Thank you so much ! very usful tool you did amazing work !

13 hours ago, panduhh said:

II'm not really all that keen on keeping a real Steam account's credentials on a box that has public access and is a natural target for hacking.

I have a steam account that has a single game on it being arma that I picked up during a sale for 10 bucks. Use that to keep workshop modes up to date on my server without the need to upload them from my machine since my upload is pretty crap. It's not the best solution but it ain't the worst either. As far as I know you need an account with arma to be able to download from the workshop which is a bit of a pain

16 hours ago, Havok66 said:

Well done, this is exactly what the Arma community needed! Any plans for Linux support?

Thanks, hadn't thought about it to be honest. Will look into it.

13 hours ago, panduhh said:

Is this intended to maintain standalone dedicated servers or to help content creators run an Arma Server on their "development" PC? I'm not really all that keen on keeping a real Steam account's credentials on a box that has public access and is a natural target for hacking.

It's intention is for managing any Arma 3 server setup, be it personal or a group. As for the steam password, it should be a non-issue. The password is stored encrypted and can only be dencrypted on the same PC. In addition to this, just turn on 2 Factor Authentication for steam as would be recommended for any account with security concerns.

• Like 1

http://i.imgur.com/hx3LQUW.png

Downloading multiple mods and update all does not work.

I changed the "Not Installed" into a date and tried update all,

which does not work as well. http://i.imgur.com/Gzg5IOj.png

Steam has a login rate which I've exceeded trying to download

all the mods one-by-one. Downloading all of them in one log

would be nicer.

http://i.imgur.com/lIINXeJ.png 
Some mods like RHS use key instead of keys. The key mover

should also move these key(s).

Great tool, keep it up! This is exactly what we need with

the rise of steam workshop. 

14 minutes ago, computer said:

http://i.imgur.com/hx3LQUW.png

Downloading multiple mods and update all does not work.

I changed the "Not Installed" into a date and tried update all,

which does not work as well. http://i.imgur.com/Gzg5IOj.png

Steam has a login rate which I've exceeded trying to download

all the mods one-by-one. Downloading all of them in one log

would be nicer.

http://i.imgur.com/lIINXeJ.png 
Some mods like RHS use key instead of keys. The key mover

should also move these key(s).

Great tool, keep it up! This is exactly what we need with

the rise of steam workshop. 

Thanks for the feedback, all of those are easy fixes but i'm travelling this weekend. Will have a fix out for you beginning of next week. 

As for the steam login rate, I'm currently testing a way to reduce this however the steam command only allows for downloading one mod per run of the command so this has caused some issues. I hope to have that in over the next week or so.

4 hours ago, Flax said:

As for the steam login rate, I'm currently testing a way to reduce this however the steam command only allows for downloading one mod per run of the command so this has caused some issues. I hope to have that in over the next week or so.

"+login $username $password +force_install_dir $arma_install_location +app_update 233780 -beta +workshop_download_item 107410 843425103 +workshop_download_item 107410 843577117 +workshop_download_item 107410 843593391 +workshop_download_item 107410 843632231 +workshop_download_item 107410 735566597 +workshop_download_item 107410 583496184 +workshop_download_item 107410 583544987 +workshop_download_item 107410 708278910 +workshop_download_item 107410 779520435 +workshop_download_item 107410 612930542 +workshop_download_item 107410 718649903 +workshop_download_item 107410 714149065 +workshop_download_item 107410 648172507 +workshop_download_item 107410 779568775 +workshop_download_item 107410 667454606 +workshop_download_item 107410 667352839 +workshop_download_item 107410 667396202 +workshop_download_item 107410 639497064 +workshop_download_item 107410 594378620 +workshop_download_item 107410 620019431 +workshop_download_item 107410 667375637 +workshop_download_item 107410 774809509 +workshop_download_item 107410 637519731 +workshop_download_item 107410 508476583 +workshop_download_item 107410 410126510 +workshop_download_item 107410 388697912 +workshop_download_item 107410 667386534 +workshop_download_item 107410 667337236 +workshop_download_item 107410 313041182 +workshop_download_item 107410 702907405 +workshop_download_item 107410 762474289 +workshop_download_item 107410 450814997 +workshop_download_item 107410 510031102 +workshop_download_item 107410 850302437 +workshop_download_item 107410 843715075 +workshop_download_item 107410 870794472 +workshop_download_item 107410 851697586 +workshop_download_item 107410 851696093 validate +quit"

I've been downloading tons of mods with steamCMD with one login. Maybe this will be helpful?

10 minutes ago, computer said:

I've been downloading tons of mods with steamCMD with one login. Maybe this will be helpful?

Thanks, yea that's the same line I've been experimenting with, just need to get it looking through the mods correctly. Will be in the next update.

sadly not open source.. not on my server then

3 hours ago, creep said:

sadly not open source.. not on my server then

I'm in the same boat, can't feed you my steam creds without seeing the source - I was surprised to see the github was an empty shell with a README. Thanks for the contrib anyway

@creep @Wallop Fair point, next release and code will be on GitHub later tonight.

• Like 2

NEW RELEASE - V1.1

Some minor updates to the tool, fixes various issues and cleans up some code. Changelog:

• Added Help and About Links.
  • Fixed ability to add duplicate mods.
  • Fixed copying of keys from key folder (eg RHS used key not keys).
  • Fixed "Update All Mods" not working with mods that hadn't been downloaded yet.
  • Changed the way multiple workshop mods are downloaded to remove steam login timeout.

Downloads

GitHub Release

Update Instructions

1. Download and unzip.
  2. Overwrite existing files.
  • Like 5

Will give new update a try tonight. Thx!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome tool. thx for releasing this.

I wanted to import an html file from the launcher for the mods but your program complained about not finding the mods.cfg. I created it manually, tried again and it worked.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, missverstanden said:

awesome tool. thx for releasing this.

I wanted to import an html file from the launcher for the mods but your program complained about not finding the mods.cfg. I created it manually, tried again and it worked.

Thanks for the feedback - will have this fixed soon.

For anyone having the issue relating to the program giving an error about a mods.cfg

Just create a new text file, leave it blank, do a 'Save As', name it to mods.cfg and select file type as 'All Files' and put it in the same location as the F.A.S.T tool and you will be good to go!

HOTFIX - V1.1.2

Minor quick fix for issues reported here. Changelog:

• Fixed missing mods.cfg causes crash on mod import.
  • Fixed missing mods.cfg causes crash on mod deletion.

Downloads

GitHub Release

Update Instructions

1. Download and unzip.
  2. Overwrite existing files.

• Like 1

I reset-up my dedicated server for use with your program and its working great!! I have a question concerning the symbolic link names it uses for the mods...

@ACE_Compat_-_RHS_Armed_Forces_of_the_Russian_Federation

I already have the mod installed but can I shorten that link name and change the name in the mods.cfg to match and not mess anything up?

Thanks

Eric

From version 1.1  "Fixed copying of keys from key folder (eg RHS used key not keys)."

Just to clarify for me, I'm getting an error box:

CopyKeysFromModsStipMenuItem_Click _ An exception occurred:

Could not find directory

'G:|Games\SteamCMD|steamapps\workshop\content\107410\773759919\keys'.

and then I can click OK to contine. 

Is this what is supposed to happen or should the key be copied from the \key directory?

Thanks Again

Eric