Sign in to follow this  
MemesMostDank_

Re-texturing questions

So, this is probably a noob question, but I'm having some issues with re texturing. I downloaded some templates from online, and started editing the textures. I've done a few re skins, but all have the same problem, so Im going to use the SUV as an example.

So anyways, the templates came in PSD format, I opened without any difficulty, and proceeded to edit the textures. I did the standard thing, exported as a TGA, but when I went to view it and convert it to a PAA with texview, I got an error, nothing fancy or odd, just "error opening (file path and name)". I tried again, running both GIMP and Texview in admin mode, to no avail. 

Exactly the steps I took

1). Downloaded the PSD files from armaholic.

2). Edited the PSD's in GIMP

3). Exported as TGA

4). Failed to open and convert to .paa with texview

I've tried searching online, to gain. All I found was how to make templates. One thing i'm not sure if I'm doing right is that I'm only editing the templates, not duplicating any of the original PAA's to them, but I don't know if that's the problem. I'm pretty sure I'm the issue here and not the tools, as the software does everything else just fine.

EDIT:

Using ImagetoPaa from A3Tools also fails, so it's definitely me fucking up somewhere

This helped me tremendously.  You gotta use PhotoShop.  If you don't have a subscription you can use the trial version.  It's good for a few days.

ARMA 3 Texture Tutorials

Try to save it as png and then covert it in to paa with textview.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bnae said:

Try to save it as png and then covert it in to paa with textview.  

Or as i tend to is save all my images as .tga files and then use textview2 to convert them to .paa

I allways use the program from Arma 3 Tools called "ImageToPaa" has allways worked for me just fine. Allso opening it with photoshop or gimp and save it again as TGA.

I always use PNG with gimp. And then I convert it to paa. Works fine for me. Or you could use .jpg in Arma, but that's often a bad solution.

A common mistake is to export as 16 bit tga.  You have to export as 32 bit tga.  I can't say anything about png or other formats, but the rule of thumb is 32 bit tga as this is the only format that supports alpha afaik.  Also TexView will only accept 32 bit.  A 16 bit won't load at all.

Another common mistake is to buy into the highway robbery that is adobe subscription.  Use Gimp unless you can buy photoshop flat out, but I think adobe ended that too...along with any chances of preventing low income developers from pirating photoshop. *resists urge to bash autodesk and adobe*

• Like 2

Hi Folks,

26 minutes ago, Delta Hawk said:

Another common mistake is to buy into the highway robbery that is adobe subscription.  Use Gimp unless you can buy photoshop flat out, but I think adobe ended that too...along with any chances of preventing low income developers from pirating photoshop. *resists urge to bash autodesk and adobe*

Wholeheartedly concur - I've used Paint Shop Pro since Jasc owned it with version 9.1... Does everything Adobe does without the subscription... Recently purchased the latest Corel one - adds a few nice new features but underneath it still seems like my trusted Jasc product... I've also used both Gimp (no vector graphics) and PS - - - PSP is my first choice (better interface)...

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Corel-PaintShop-Pro-X9-Ultimate/dp/B01HTAOZUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499353160&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=corel+paintshop+pro+x9+ultimate&psc=1

Regards,
Scott

well, to be honest both Adobe and Autodesk products are industry's standards, hence they have very aggressive subscription programs (none allows you to buy a license anymore...).

I use both at the office, but that comes at a hefty anual price.

Best alternative for PS for me is this though:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo

and for illustrator:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/

• Like 1

Wholeheartedly concur - I've used Paint Shop Pro since Jasc owned it with version 9.1... Does everything Adobe does without the subscription... Recently purchased the latest Corel one - adds a few nice new features but underneath it still seems like my trusted Jasc product... I've also used both Gimp (no vector graphics) and PS - - - PSP is my first choice (better interface)...

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Corel-PaintShop-Pro-X9-Ultimate/dp/B01HTAOZUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499353160&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=corel+paintshop+pro+x9+ultimate&psc=1

Regards,
Scott

Do you also prefer Paint Shop Pro for graphic design over Adobe products, considering its features, lack of subscription, and a user-friendly interface?