I don't know anything about game engine, mechanics, et cetera, so this might be a dumb question, but why can't we jump in the game?

Will those poor bastards ever be able to jump in Arma universe?

Pick your poison:

Jumping Script

Jumping Mod

The game engine, etc. is completely capable, it's just not provided with the base game. Take it for what it is, but keeps the hands of the scripting portion of the community busy, and I for one don't mind it :thumb:.

Thanks for the replies. I prefer to use as less mods as possible (only pick the ones I realy like), but will give it a try with these suggested.

Don't actualy understand why some people don't want to be able to jump or don't think it's needed. I mean, sometimes you just need to, it's so obvious. For example; when under fire and trying to retreat, it's a joke to pause running for doing the famous stepping over fence thing while you just want to jump and get the hell out of there. Or when on rocks (especialy now with Malden), sometimes you just want to jump in stead of walking around the rocks and don't get the approach you would like.

Certainly don't understand why BI does not made it possible if the engine is very much capable of. For those who don't want to jump, just don't push that button.

To be clear; I mean with jumping a realistic jump, one that takes away fatigue and limited of the height, distance and amount of jumps behind each other (hate that stupid jumping in other games, wich is used as a way to dodge bullits!).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Antilochos said:

Thanks for the replies. I prefer to use as less mods as possible (only pick the ones I realy like), but will give it a try with these suggested.

Don't actualy understand why some people don't want to be able to jump or don't think it's needed. I mean, sometimes you just need to, it's so obvious. For example; when under fire and trying to retreat, it's a joke to pause running for doing the famous stepping over fence thing while you just want to jump and get the hell out of there. Or when on rocks (especialy now with Malden), sometimes you just want to jump in stead of walking around the rocks and don't get the approach you would like.

Certainly don't understand why BI does not made it possible if the engine is very much capable of. For those who don't want to jump, just don't push that button.

To be clear; I mean with jumping a realistic jump, one that takes away fatigue and limited of the height, distance and amount of jumps behind each other (hate that stupid jumping in other games, wich is used as a way to dodge bullits!).

In armed forces, jumping with all the gear and equipment that you are carrying would make it quite difficult. Hence as Arma3 is a mil sim is not in.

• Like 1

@R0adki11, I understand it is difficult (but not impossible or useless), that's why I said make it a realistic jump.

Just like running with full gear takes more fatigue and less with less no gear (and everything in between respectively), so could they put in jumping. Make us think about our gear and not just be a packed walking tank.

Guys who think you may never need to jump in the military have gone straight up full retard. Yes maybe you dont go skipping and jumping toward the front line, but im sure plenty of special ops (as well as standard troop) will come across situations in which leaving the ground only to appear a few feet away over said obstacle -like space between rooftops - may be needed. People think if you jump ( a normal moving mechanic which i utlilize daily at 46 years of age) is just some goofy spammy shit you might see in a  Battlefield game.Plenty of actions can be spammed -doesnt meean they should be outright neglected.

• Like 1

Wow. He should have called this thread "climb over stuff" then. Yikes. I don't think he's asking for us to prance around the battlefield. Just a way to get over a low sandbag wall or something like that. And I agree.

Why would anyone disapprove of this? It's madness.

i actually never needed jump as in ever in arma's francise....step over stuff yes, climb on stuff or down from stuff yes etc, but never the game refered "jump"

let me make myself clear here, all of the issues with not being able to step over the smallest rock or sandbag or whatever else, without the need to press anything at all (which reminds me of the 50+ tone tank being full stopped by the smallest rock, but that's completely different) has NOTHING to do with being able to JUMP.

In fact, if you've checked Argo, the character body mechanics and interactions with the game world, while far from perfect, are quite a bit more fluid - and yes, they don't even have arma's step over stuff in, and you don't need to press any additional keys....

I tried to think of the last time i actually needed to jump in my RL (besides my less_often_than_i_would_want bball games), the results are pretty slim - jump over some puddles very rarely, but a lot of step over stuff.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PuFu said:

if you've checked Argo, the character body mechanics and interactions with the game world, while far from perfect, are quite a bit more fluid - and yes, they don't even have arma's step over stuff in, and you don't need to press any additional keys....

Yep, disabling collision with vegetation and such will make movement more fluid, it's also a crude way to negate a step over mechanic.

9 hours ago, PuFu said:

jump over some puddles very rarely, but a lot of step over stuff.

dude i'm 46 and still jump into puddles, still great fun.

• Like 4

Fascinating how "jumping" in a game can make a discussion.

Anyway. First of all, English is not my first language so I might not express myself right while using the word jumping (or on any other word choice for that matter). Still, I can not imagine how people still think you don't need to be able to jump. Seriously, since Arma is a military sim and if you have no military experience yourself, ask any (vet)soldier if he/she would be even excepted into the army if not able to jump (and if you have that experience, just what are you talking about?). I mean, this question is just rhetorical!

Realy, I didn't mean jumping like an idiot in those "other" games, but you still like to jump at times. Yes, I also mean climp over stuff and that crap, but shit, let me free and let me jump like an idiot if I desire that! It's a bloody game alright, it's not like somebody puts a gun to your head to do it if it's possible.

Edit: Oh, and I don't care much for multiplayer. So if jumping fucks up multiplayer keep this feature out of multiplayer. It's really that simple I think...

14 hours ago, Evil Organ said:

Yep, disabling collision with vegetation and such will make movement more fluid, it's also a crude way to negate a step over mechanic.

that is not how it is done though...

dude i'm 46 and still jump into puddles, still great fun.

i'm only 31, so i guess i might need to go back into child mentality to do that for fun :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PuFu said:

that is not how it is done though...

Please enlighten me then, because this is what i'm lead to believe....(regarding disabling collision with vegetation)

I think jumping by itself is not much use, but the idea of being able to scale small obstacles is worthy of being added to the game. The vault mechanic in the game works most of the time but fails to let us do things like climbing through a window, or out of the water. If you haven't tried Bad Benson's Enhanced Movement mod yet you should, it really opens up the environment in terms of access to areas that are usually off limits.

• Like 7

Bensons mod is a must have -  like a few others (TPW/Bloodlust) I just feel stupid playing without them.

*Member to donate even a dollar for these lil gems yall ;)

• Like 1

I also will jump on the praise train for BB's Enhanced movement mod. It really is a must have. The simple act of being able to climb over a wall in an urban backyard or alley, or get through a window is so important. As is climbing large rock formations of the kind found on Malden and Altis. 

When I saw the  jungle temples on Tanoa, I thought BI might be adding climbing, as they are built in perfect levels to climb easily with enhanced movement mod-that led me to think BI has something similar planned. Maybe they do..who knows..

• Like 3

I think a movement where you put your hand down and do a vault is realistic for walls and fences of course if their waist high. For a jump maybe a pushing/leap

step would be more realistic then a jump itself, a jump imo implies both knees up or both feet off the ground type of movement, as said with gear on not really functional,

unless weight is accounted for so it could function if you had a certain amount of weight.

• Like 1