Rich_R

Malden 2035

Looked and didn't see a dedicated thread to our latest in-game getaway and subject of countless military actions, Malden 2035.

I wasn't much into the series when Malden was first introduced, so had no memories. I have looked at the CUP version as another possible place to create missions, but always felt it was too sparse.

Taking aside the terrain is free, this is a spectacular new addition. Small but tactically laid out with the usual high level of detail and attention paid to the placement of items and buildings.The two surrounding islands, one with a small runway and the other a military base is perfect for countless missions. I wasn't sure changing colors of the various buildings would make it feel different, but it did! Nice touch with the painted gates, and these are included in Eden editor. Love the billboard advertising Tanoa as a vacation getaway!

Finally, BI obviously love the community and the inclusion of the Bushlurker statue was just awesome. Very touching and really classy.

Great job BI and thanks!

• Like 6

Well there is a discussion here, but it´s only findable with some smart googling, so I don´t mind this new post.

Last week I bought Arma 1 for a couple of euro's to refresh my memories of OFP Malden and to compare the old and the new. I think the team did a great job.

On the one hand, the terrain and placements of roads and villages is very recognizable, on the other hand, the map feels also very fresh with all the newer and high-def assets.

I also have the feeling that the detailing for Malden is slightly better than Altis. Maybe it's because of the added experience in designing Arma 3 maps.

I think Malden is fantastic! 10/10.

• Like 3

Dammit! I googled twice and didn't see anything!

Thanks for letting me know. Mods are more than welcomed to lock this thread

Agree with your comments about Malden being one of the better new islands.

I'm going over to read the new thread:)

It is clear that Malden 2035 is a very special terrain.  Super-high attention to detail.  A thing of beauty. 

It is easy to alt-click your way underground on rocky mountain peaks in the editor, but that's no big whoop.

• Like 3

I would think this question should be the other way around. Does Alive support the new Malden 2035 terrain? That would be a question for the Alive dev team, of course.

• Like 2

Hi Folks,

1 hour ago, loopdk said:

does the malden dlc not support alive?

It's just a map - all it would need is for someone to index it - right ?

Regards,

Scott

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more, Malden is a very detailed terrain. 

When I saw some of the preview videos people were doing, it looked pretty arid, and somewhat sparse, but that couldn't be further from the truth. In the air flying around, it does look pretty arid, but moving around on foot, you really see the attention to detail, and that Malden is quite lush, and has more vegetation than Altis.  

Fantastic free addon, the community is very lucky to still be getting this kind of support for a game that is almost 4 years old. 

Great job BI.  

• Like 5

Coming from OFP, Malden 2035 for me is too overloaded. :icon2: I miss the plain fields and the small villages - beside the "non-greek" setting.

BUT: BI did a hell of a job here! It became a "new" island which is definitely worth hundreds of missions. And the nostalgics among us can download @CUP's CWA maps. :don11:

• Like 6

Don't really give a damn about a new map, when the base game is so dysfunctional, poorly documented, and missing remedial features. How many damn games do we have to buy? How many damn DLCs? And many times are they going to rape their customers with go kart crap? And all they can do is give us another crappy map when the game breaking shortcomings are still present? This is what I get for pre-ordering this game years ago? No working artillery? What kind of nonsense is this? I bought your Apex DLC already to show my support, I already received another map that I had little interest in. And this is what we get? I'm fucking pissed. Someone needs to break out the whips and crack some skulls at BI if they think this is acceptable. Take your map and shove it up your ass. Unless we start seeing big changes and soon, count me out of any future purchases. I keep telling myself to give them one more chance, maybe buy some DLC to keep them going, and they keep blowing it. I'd had it, and I'm livid.

I'm sorry if this offends the fanboys and yes men around here, but it needs to be said.

@Flogger23m,  :wave:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Undeceived said:

Coming from OFP, Malden 2035 for me is too overloaded. :icon2: I miss the plain fields and the small villages - beside the "non-greek" setting.

In playing hundreds of missions on CWR2 Malden (for Arma 2), I had no complaints about the terrain; it felt like home.  Malden 2035 is so packed with detail that in and of itself it's a work of art and very realistic; but as Undeceived wrote, it's a whole new island and bears little of nostalgic look and feel of the far sparser, antiquated original.  Since it was created primarily for the run-n-gun Argo, lots of corners for CQC were needed, so objects and buildings were packed in there like sardines.  But hey, it's 2035 and not 1985; lots of development is to be expected, and few could say that the 2035 version isn't a huge improvement.  At least there are no wind farms and solar stations (that I have found anyway).  

• Like 3

You're right with the development over the years but even then I think Malden's style would be different (not "Greek" like Altis/Stratis, but more Slavic or so, in a modern way). 

Please note, this is not a compliment, just a neutral thought. It's not that important anyway. :icon_biggrin: I'm absolutely happy with this free addition and thank BI for their support.

• Like 3

malden 2035 is epic for me. Enjoying it so far. Great looking and great performance. Great job by BIS

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Undeceived said:

You're right with the development over the years but even then I think Malden's style would be different (not "Greek" like Altis/Stratis, but more Slavic or so, in a modern way). 

I agree.  The Altis/Stratis buildings make it inherently "Greek" in appearance, which is ironic in that Malden topography is based on the Greek island of Lefkada.

What happened to the "French" architectural influence and its supposed location someplace in the North Sea?

Most buildings were constructed in french architecture of the early 1800' and provided upkeep during NATO occupation era.

Perhaps Malden was garrisoned with Greek NATO soldiers?  ;-)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Flogger23m said:

Don't really give a damn about a new map, when the base game is so dysfunctional, poorly documented, and missing remedial features. How many damn games do we have to buy? How many damn DLCs? And many times are they going to rape their customers with go kart crap? And all they can do is give us another crappy map when the game breaking shortcomings are still present? This is what I get for pre-ordering this game years ago? No working artillery? What kind of nonsense is this? I bought your Apex DLC already to show my support, I already received another map that I had little interest in. And this is what we get? I'm fucking pissed. Someone needs to break out the whips and crack some skulls at BI if they think this is acceptable. Take your map and shove it up your ass. Unless we start seeing big changes and soon, count me out of any future purchases. I keep telling myself to give them one more chance, maybe buy some DLC to keep them going, and they keep blowing it. I'd had it, and I'm livid.

I'm sorry if this offends the fanboys and yes men around here, but it needs to be said.

The map is free. I get that you are disappointed with what A3 offers at this point, but why the tirade? The map was made by the terrain artists, all your complaints seem to be gameplay related :) 

Have you ever tried writing to the project lead? I've done so in the past and I was given perfectly sensible answers for my wishes/complaints, some of which I have a hunch will be meet with the ORANGE DLC. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Maio said:

The map is free. I get that you are disappointed with what A3 offers at this point, but why the tirade? The map was made by the terrain artists, all your complaints seem to be gameplay related :) 

Have you ever tried writing to the project lead? I've done so in the past and I was given perfectly sensible answers for my wishes/complaints, some of which I have a hunch will be meet with the ORANGE DLC. 

Probably the mellowest reply from a moderator to a quite disgusting post.....

@Flogger23m, your vile reference to rape and the Karts DLC is wholly unacceptable.....Karts DLC was born out of an April Fools joke that turned into an optional DLC, where the Czech Red Cross benefited to the tune of a million Czech koruna. The rest of your post provides zero constructive criticism.....if i were a moderator you'd be taking a long bath.   

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Evil Organ said:

Probably the mellowest reply from a moderator to a quite disgusting post.....

@Flogger23m, your vile reference to rape and the Karts DLC is wholly unacceptable.....Karts DLC was born out of an April Fools joke that turned into an optional DLC, where the Czech Red Cross benefited to the tune of a million Czech koruna. The rest of your post provides zero constructive criticism.....if i were a moderator you'd be taking a long bath.   

I have reviewed @Flogger23m post and the content is unacceptable and is in clear violation of the forum rules. As a result the appropriate action has been issued, which will mean he will be spending some time away from the forums. 

I hope we can now return to the topic in hand. 

• Like 3

I was kinda hoping for a Showcase mission. Kinda helps the community get a footing on what they can potentially do with the map. I think it's well designed though, and it's clear that the map designers at BI have learned a lot since the Altis days. 

• Like 1

^ ^ I highly agree about a showcase.  BI should have ported an OFP Malden mission, such as Ambush!

Badass mission (I've only played CWR2 version ported by W0lle).  The "Hill of Death" sloping downwards into Houdan from the west, is now covered with a vineyard!  Should make things very interesting...

• Like 2

Please continue posting in the tgread above. 

Locking. 

• Like 1